• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

The four Golden Globe nominations for Joker (including best motion picture-drama, best director, and best actor) are a nod to how far comic book cinema has come in terms of big-screen relevance and critical acclaim. But the shrug-and-snub that greeted HBO’s wildly ambitious Watchmen series (as well as Amazon’s ultra-violent The Boys) shows how little traction the cape-and-mask crowd have in the universe of respected television drama.

The artistic relevance of superhero fare has been a front-and-center topic for years now. Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight (2008) was the first comic book adaptation to win an Academy Award in an acting category (Heath Ledger’s posthumous Oscar for portraying a scabby, mysterious version of the DC Comics villain known as the Joker) but it’s failure to earn a best picture nomination prompted the Academy to widen the field of nominations to get more crowdpleasers in contention.

That set the stage for the best picture nomination last year for Black Panther, the Disney/Marvel Studios blockbuster that transcended the superhero genre to become a cultural moment with its ennobled vision of a hidden African nation emerging to take its place in the international community. Despite the feel-good fervor surrounding that Black Panther success, Marvel Studios has been slagged recently in prominent fashion by filmmaking demi-gods Martin Scorsese and Francis Ford Coppola who see the mega-success of Marvel’s producer-centric system as a crass threat to director-driven filmmaking and the tenets and traditions of the pair’s beloved auteur theory.

Scorsese’s harsh appraisals of Marvel films (he called them theme-park rides in disguise, essentially) is being widely misread as primarily a put-down of superhero storytelling and comic book adaptations but The Irishman director’s own early involvement with Joker should underline the fact that his sour opinion is more nuanced than that. In his New York Times essay on the topic, Scorsese was clearly aiming his disdain at Marvel’s method not its source material. It’s not Stan Lee’s work that peeves Scorsese, it’s the triumph of sequels over surprises.

“Many of the elements that define cinema as I know it are there in Marvel pictures,” Scorsese wrote, although he admits he’s never watched one of the hit films. “What’s not there is revelation, mystery or genuine emotional danger. Nothing is at risk. The pictures are made to satisfy a specific set of demands, and they are designed as variations on a finite number of themes.”

I thought about seeing this one more time in theaters, just to be a part of it....

Talked with die hard DC fans at Thanksgiving who despite that, are waiting till DVD  to even see it once :(

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I thought about seeing this one more time in theaters, just to be a part of it....

Talked with die hard DC fans at Thanksgiving who despite that, are waiting till DVD  to even see it once :(

Digital release was 12/17. So available now.

Just watched this. People were talking on FB about how it made them uncomfortable with the mental health aspects of it. I don't think I was seeing the same movie as they were. Other people were praising Leaf Phoenix's acting ability. Again, I don't think I saw the same movie they did. His acting is the same as his acting, you know it's him.

As for the canon, it was meh at best. It was entertaining enough, but not enough for me to want to ever watch again.

I suppose these are the times we live in, mediocrity

I expected more. A LOT more. Joker is a, quote Dan Aykroyd in Ghostbusters, "a certifiable genius or complete whacko"

I did not see any Joker potential there, even though he killed people.