• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Like MDR said, it's willy-nilly, forced in too many aimless directions at once, like cats are planning this. There's just no cohesive voice or vision and part of that may be because they don't know who the heck their audience is. To me, none of this seems like "fun" the way it does for Marvel. It seems more.... train wreck. I'm a DC guy and I'm almost embarrassed for them every time they announce something -- that shouldn't happen. 

Embarrassed 100% sums up my feeling on every single announcement now. Can I freeze myself with good ole Walt and wait for someone to take over at WB that knows what they are doing? 

6 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Like MDR said, it's willy-nilly, forced in too many aimless directions at once, like cats are planning this. There's just no cohesive voice or vision and part of that may be because they don't know who the heck their audience is. To me, none of this seems like "fun" the way it does for Marvel. It seems more.... train wreck. I'm a DC guy and I'm almost embarrassed for them every time they announce something -- that shouldn't happen. 

6 hours ago, MDR123 said:

And now the Harley & Joker movie? Justice League Dark being rewritten supposedly? Ben Affleck NOT in Reeves The Batman. Just end this.

Like Cavil said, "Bury it." 

As clean as it would be to have someone at WB/DC lay out a long roadmap showing where all the puzzle pieces fit together (I get it - that would be the most straightforward approach), I don't know if we need to go 'Chicken Little' yet about the WB/DC world coming to an end.

- Harley Quinn vs The Joker was soft-announced back in July. HARLEY QUINN VS. THE JOKER in development

- Jared Leto is now going to be in Suicide Squad 2, Gotham City Sirens and Harley Quinn vs The Joker. If that is true, they are at least keeping that part of the Bat Universe consistent.

- Justice League Dark taking this long could be a good thing. Go back and read why the second director decided to move on - his heart wasn't into it, and he couldn't connect with the characters. Better he pulled out, or that we got a rushed version that would have clearly shown the director was disconnected?

- If anyone is embarrassed with close to every WB/DC announcement, that's a personal choice. And I agree, not having this all come together under a clean, easy-to-follow roadmap feels like many darts being sent out to see what sticks. And the Justice League reshoots make it feel like something was missed. But there was already a Zack Snyder/Joss Whedon reshoot plan beforehand. Just now it sounds like Whedon is setting up the film to extend out the Big Bad beyond JL 1.

Willy-nilly announcements? Like I noted, there have been feelers put out there about many of these films being in the works. Just now WB/DC is making it official.

So you consider one confirmation from the studio amongst a sea of drek to be fine? That's perfectly alright. Now the new rumor is Squad 2 is being fast tracked to be in theatres BEFORE Joker & Harley, seemingly showing WB really didnt learn much with regards to -script writing in 6 weeks then shooting a poorly received film. 

On 8/22/2017 at 6:38 PM, Bosco685 said:

This sounds great to me! Very intriguing.

In the best case scenario, it can bring in a lot of the 2008 Dark Knight audience. And Scorsese's name attached is huge.

1 hour ago, MDR123 said:

So you consider one confirmation from the studio amongst a sea of drek to be fine? That's perfectly alright. Now the new rumor is Squad 2 is being fast tracked to be in theatres BEFORE Joker & Harley, seemingly showing WB really didnt learn much with regards to --script writing in 6 weeks then shooting a poorly received film. 

Oh, I definitely don't want to see the DCEU get itself in a bind again by rushing into anything. Take the time to at least develop a solid -script. It's the guts of the production.

'sea of drek' - maybe. They do seem to be going Harley-crazy too soon. But the reaction from the market last year helped bring that on. I just hope they develop these fully, versus making 'comic scenes on film' without much heart.

A lot of interesting projects gets talked about or have feelers sent out, but I'll believe this one when I see it.  It'd be cool, but I wouldn't be surprised if this lingers in development hell for a bit and just drop off the radar.

Yeah, I noticed one of the later quotes posted here said it was only rumored, so it's a possibility that it's all just speculation. Didn't GCS end up being all rumor and they later rolled it back saying it was supposed to be Birds of Prey all along? I have a hard time keeping track of all this stuff.

23 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Yeah, I noticed one of the later quotes posted here said it was only rumored, so it's a possibility that it's all just speculation. Didn't GCS end up being all rumor and they later rolled it back saying it was supposed to be Birds of Prey all along? I have a hard time keeping track of all this stuff.

EXACTLY!!!!!! WB needs to come out and either update the announced slate from SDCC, put dates to correspond with those announced properties AND put all of these rumors out to pasture. Just leaving all of this out there to be consumed makes them look bad and gives consumers a bad feeling. 

Im ready for one of these studios to make a version of batman and superman movies set in golden age, 1930s. It doesn't have to be filmed in that style, but set in that time. I think an origin story of Joker done right set in the golden age could be really awesome.

av-275525.jpg

10 hours ago, Bill C said:

I dont have any opinion quite yet on a Joker movie, but I did want to address your JLA trailer comment. I wouldnt look to the trailer and assume it would be good or bad based on that. You can twist anything with editing. Im sure youve seen those awesome youtube trailer re-edits where people take movies like Home Alone and turn it into a horror trailer

Oh, I agree. There are movies where all the best scenes were used in the trailers. And you realize it once you are sitting there in the theater, feeling like a sucker.

But with Geoff Johns, Wonder Woman was his first studio leadership test. JL will be the indicator if this is becoming a trend. So far, what has been shown appears to be the right shift to appeal to a wider audience. We shall see.

Warner Bros. wants Leonardo DiCaprio for their Joker movie, and Jared Leto isn’t happy

Leonardo-DiCaprio.jpg?quality=85&strip=i

THR stresses that Martin Scorsese’s deal isn’t signed yet, but that Warner Bros. is hoping to get him on board to lure in one of his frequent collaborators: Leonardo DiCaprio. Yes, you heard that right. They want DiCaprio or another A-lister to play the character as a gritty crime boss in a Scorsese-esque Gotham underworld, according to THR.

One person who isn’t thrilled about this Joker origin movie is Jared Leto, who played the character in Suicide Squad and is getting his own Joker spin-off movie with Margot Robbie. THR says Leto was caught off guard by the news of another actor playing The Joker, and has made his displeasure known with his agents.

On August 25, 2017 at 11:11 PM, kevhtx said:

Im ready for one of these studios to make a version of batman and superman movies set in golden age, 1930s. It doesn't have to be filmed in that style, but set in that time. I think an origin story of Joker done right set in the golden age could be really awesome.

av-275525.jpg

Whoa, this guy's onto something here. A period-piece Batman would be freaking amazing!

15 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Interesting article.

Notable that it restates the presumption that, despite his denials, Ben Affleck will not ulltimately star in The Batman.

And I actually believe Warners will try to land DiCaprio (or someone of his stature) for this.

Their track record so far (Ledger, Leto) demonstrates their willingness to pick inspired but non-traditional choices.

Even going with Russell Crowe and Kevin Costner for Man of Steel were moves I didn't see coming, and they each elevated that film.