• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

I’m looking forward to these standalone films since the extended universe sucks. Man of Steel is the only one I continue to rewatch from time to time. 

1D6363EF-4D2D-4045-AB90-99D9884888C2.jpeg

Edited by Oddball

21 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Sorry for the rudimentary screen capture. Operating off phone in airport...I present to you Joaquin Phoenix as Joker:

18504C46-F3CC-473D-9C35-BE542E866AD1.thumb.png.df33242d54450d34383c48d6d35bcd54.png

Is this for real? They should change the name of the movie to Ronald McDonald.

1 hour ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I like it.  But what the Joker looks like is irrelevant.  How the actor portrays the character is what will make or break the movie.

I think Joaquin Phoenix is the perfect actor for this role.  He can pull off the "John Wayne Gacy" level of crazy.

***Better be R-rated

I don’t disagree with you, but that red nose....ehhh....

I think they have a great actor on board with the wrong director. How does the director of the Hangover Trilogy get this?  Another incredible actor that should have been perfect for the role is Leto.  And he had Ayer directing him. The director of Fury. How did they drop the ball with that awesome combo?  So while I’m always hopeful, you just never know what you’re going to get.  I hope I wake up to a 90% on RT after release but I doubt it.

Looks like they are going to make the Joker an anti-hero with this one taking on Thomas Wayne the conglomerate. 

JOKER Set Photos Reveals A Surprising Detail; Is The Clown Prince Of Crime The Movie's Hero?

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/joker/a-closer-look-at-joker-set-photos-reveals-a-surprising-detail-is-the-clown-prince-of-crime-the-movies-hero-a163710

Eagle-eyed fans have noticed a crucial new detail in those Joker set photos which seemingly shed some light on how the citizens of Gotham City view the villain. The thing is, though, he may be their hero!

a very different take on the Clown Prince of Crime in Joker but could it be that Arthur Fleck's downfall actually results in him becoming loved by his fellow Gothamites? As you can see below, a closer look at set photos seemingly reveals that members of the public will attack Thomas Wayne, the Wayne Industries boss who is set to run for Gotham City Mayor in the DC Comics movie. 

While The Joker has no doubt egged them on, it appears as if many of them hate Wayne and blame him for their problems. They're also holding signs in which they declare their support for this "clown" to become Mayor instead and it seems as if the villain won't terrify the public here; instead, he'll gain the backing of the common man as he apparently looks to bring anarchy and change to the city.

In other words, The Joker could be the twisted "hero" of this standalone movie, something which is bound to upset fans hoping to see the maniacal villain cause chaos and clash with Batman.

Image result for JOKER COULD BE HERO IN NEW MOVIE INSTAGRAM PHOENIX

4 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

No... No... No... Nononononononononono!

The Joker is not an anti-hero! He's a f^&*ing villain!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Let's reserve judgment until we've seen it.

Then we'll trash it. 

Just now, Get Marwood & I said:

Then we'll trash it. 

If The Joker is in fact, the hero/anti-hero, there is nothing that can help me reserve judgment. It fails before the 1st trailer (again, if true). It would be truly awful because J. Phoenix was a great casting choice.

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

If The Joker is in fact, the hero/anti-hero, there is nothing that can help me reserve judgment. It fails before the 1st trailer (again, if true). It would be truly awful because J. Phoenix was a great casting choice.

While I agree that he is a villain, i don't see how the movie would work without him at least starting out as a sympathetic character (hero/anti-hero). As the title character, I think its completely normal to have that as the basis of the movie. Even in the Dark Knight, the Joker had sympathetic qualities. You never know, the movie could end with him being a villain. It could be a movie about transformation.

And from my perspective, I am not liking the actor selection or the images released so far. I'll wait until I hear reviews and see more before I decide to see it, but I haven't been impressed so far. I still think Ledger did such a bad a$s job, its going to be hard for any actor to do the role justice for a while in my mind.

3 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Then we'll trash it. 

Internet rulez...dish out opinions before somebody else beats you to it.  Guilty until proven innocentlol.

But seriously, they can't make the Joker an anti-hero...or any kind of "hero".  That would bother me.  The same way I want to punch anybody who wears a Charles Manson shirt...just bothers me.

Just now, kevhtx said:

While I agree that he is a villain, i don't see how the movie would work without him at least starting out as a sympathetic character (hero/anti-hero). As the title character, I think its completely normal to have that as the basis of the movie. Even in the Dark Knight, the Joker had sympathetic qualities. You never know, the movie could end with him being a villain. It could be a movie about transformation.

And from my perspective, I am not liking the actor selection or the images released so far. I'll wait until I hear reviews and see more before I decide to see it, but I haven't been impressed so far. I still think Ledger did such a bad a$s job, its going to be hard for any actor to do the role justice for a while in my mind.

That's different from what's being reported, though. The public in the plot and story didn't empathize or sympathize with/for The Joker. Just like Thanos, you can have humanizing qualities and a mission, but when you're genocidal/homicidal you're still a villain. That's what separates great and complex villains from vanilla one-offs that only exist for your hero to defeat/overcome.

Once his character becomes The Joker, he has to be a villain. For me, he cannot be idolized by the public as a hero/anti-hero when he dons the name and garb. It ruins the character for me. That's not really The Joker. It's an imitation (and a poor one at that).

Just now, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Internet rulez...dish out opinions before somebody else beats you to it.  Guilty until proven innocentlol.

But seriously, they can't make the Joker an anti-hero...or any kind of "hero".  That would bother me.  The same way I want to punch anybody who wears a Charles Manson shirt...just bothers me.

I was only kidding. I always reserve judgment until I've seen a film myself.  I tend to like what others hate anyway, so am often pleasantly surprised (I think BvS was brilliant). At first glance, the visuals are horrific. But with the right acting / performance,  it could be powerful.  We'll see.