• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

Just now, ComicConnoisseur said:

Phoenix’s Joker could possibly give Ledger`s Joker a run for his money? I never thought I would be saying that.

I really liked the trailer. Wasn't expecting it to be this good. It now went from a 6 to now a 10 on my meter for must see movies.

I doubt that very much, only because no one knew how the Ledger Joker would turn out, and I think most people would expect Phoenix to pull this role off well.

Scorsese and DeNiro's involvement is probably biasing my perception, but definitely getting a King of Comedy vibe with a little Taxi Driver thrown in. I see no reason for this movie to exist, but since it does, I'm glad it at least looks different. I'm looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, kevhtx said:

This looks ok. Not stoked yet. I usually have high expectations and wait for reviews (audience weighs more to me than critics). If the Heath Ledger Joker didn't exist this might make me more excited. But, Ill be judging all Joker roles by that until there is a better one.

I wish we could go to comic book movies being comic book movies and not superheroes/villains in the real world. For example, I would love to see a Golden Age version of Superman and Batman movies. Then, combine them for a Justice League movie. 

Superman, 1930's/1940's, origin story Kapra-esque for his origin story then a Max Fleischer style live action for after he becomes Superman, goes to the Metropolis/Daily Planet.

Batman, 1930's/1940's film noir, Detective/Maltese Falcon type movie. More detective work with cool realistic gadgets

Maybe Batman investigates an American Nazi group smuggling Kryptonite to Germany for WW2. Then, Justice League or a Batman/Superman movie about WW2.

I don't know. I think comic book movies need a jolt. I know this would probably only appeal to comic book nerds though, but who knows.

I would really rather have that which you suggested than trying to copy Marvel. I always thought Batman and Superman work best alone in their universes Gotham and Metropolis than teaming up with a bunch of heroes trying to stop Darkseid.

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

Meh.

Finally a voice of reason.  I saw the trailer and my first instinct was I gotta go to the boards and see the fecal kicking the boards must surely be giving this...boy was I wrong.

I want a refund already, and I haven't even bought a ticket.  

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

If you didn't see the Ultimate Edition, then you're not judging the correct movie.

Snyder's cut of the film is great.

I only watched the Ultimate Edition (never saw the theatrical cut) and I still thought the movie was trash.  Largely because the heroes we grew up reading just weren't properly and faithfully translated to screen.  The saving grace for that movie was Wonder Woman.

1 minute ago, ExNihilo said:

I only watched the Ultimate Edition (never saw the theatrical cut) and I still thought the movie was trash.  Largely because the heroes we grew up reading just weren't properly and faithfully translated to screen.  The saving grace for that movie was Wonder Woman.

Have to agree. I watched the Ultimate Cut, thought it was a terrible slog. Snyder's vision for the characters was just wrongheaded from the jump. Hated Man of Steel too. WW was the lone bright spot in Dawn of Justice because she was the only thing that was actually FUN about the movie. 

4 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Well, it was made circa 2014-2016. Modern times call for modern adaptations.

People already can't empathize with Superman. Snyder made him more human and realistic. It works for me.

And that Batman is the very definition of The Dark Knight Returns.

If you've read The Dark Knight Returns, and liked it, then I would've expected you to like Dawn of Justice. Obviously it's loosely adapted, but none the less, still the same overall character.

If you didn't read TDKR and/or didn't like it - then there's no way this movie can please you. Not every movie is made for every person. This movie caters to a specific crowd, and I find, that crowd loves it.

18 minutes ago, Guardian Comics said:
2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Meh.

Finally a voice of reason.  I saw the trailer and my first instinct was I gotta go to the boards and see the fecal kicking the boards must surely be giving this...boy was I wrong.

I want a refund already, and I haven't even bought a ticket.  

That didn't mean I thought it was bad, I just can't tell much from it so I ended up just as neutral about the film as I was before I saw the teaser.  I finished the 2008 Dark Knight trailer thinking that Ledger's Joker seemed both crazy and bad-arse.  I left this one thinking he just seemed crazy, but they never showed him exhibiting the trademark Joker skill or menace.  It felt like they left the part out that makes the Joker so appealing as an arch-villain.  From all we saw in the trailer this could have been a biopic of almost any crazy person...the only thing that made him resemble the Joker we all know is the clown makeup.  The bit where he talks about realizing that his life is a comedy, not a tragedy, had the POTENTIAL of menace, but the teaser never showed it.  (shrug)

Edited by fantastic_four

5 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

If you've read The Dark Knight Returns, and liked it, then I would've expected you to like Dawn of Justice. Obviously it's loosely adapted, but none the less, still the same overall character.

If you didn't read TDKR and/or didn't like it - then there's no way this movie can please you. Not every movie is made for every person. This movie caters to a specific crowd, and I find, that crowd loves it.

"Martha, her name's Martha? Now I can't kill you for some reason." - Batman

That's one of many reasons why that movie is not good. Another reason is the giant CGI goblin monster destroying a huge and apparently vacant portion of the city.

Apparently Phoenix will pull a historic performance on this one. I loved Ledger's Joker, but I expect this one to be head and shoulders above it.

I loved Ledger's Joker, but I don't think it was that great, or Oscar winning level. His death played a major role creating the myth, at least IMO

If the movie has Joker beaten down by life and then he rises up against it in the middle or towards the end to become a villain, it's got potential.  All we saw in the trailer was him being crazy and getting beat up; we never saw him as a villain.  Why leave that part out?  Just a single scene where he started to become the super-villain we all know could have taken the trailer from "meh" to "WHOA".

9 minutes ago, Red84 said:

"Martha, her name's Martha? Now I can't kill you for some reason." - Batman

That's one of many reasons why that movie is not good. Another reason is the giant CGI goblin monster destroying a huge and apparently vacant portion of the city.

I already said that it's not a perfect movie.

It's still a great movie, for those who love the sources that the narratives where derived from.

Man of Steel - destroys major city - fans cry about it. Dawn of Justice - destroys mostly abandoned property - fans cry about.

There's seriously no pleasing some people.

4 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

If the movie has Joker beaten down by life and then he rises up against it in the middle or towards the end to become a villain, it's got potential.  All we saw in the trailer was him being crazy and getting beat up; we never saw him as a villain.  Why leave that part out?  Just a single scene where he started to become the super-villain we all know could have taken the trailer from "meh" to "WHOA".

My guess is they're saving that for the next trailer or two. Don't wanna give up too much too son.

6 minutes ago, marmat said:

Apparently Phoenix will pull a historic performance on this one. I loved Ledger's Joker, but I expect this one to be head and shoulders above it.

I loved Ledger's Joker, but I don't think it was that great, or Oscar winning level. His death played a major role creating the myth, at least IMO

How the hell did you win the grading contest with this type of opinion...

lol

2 minutes ago, marmat said:

Apparently Phoenix will pull a historic performance on this one.

Is it apparent? Even if they handed out Best Actor for a Teaser, I don't think he would win. There's just not enough to know yet. We have no idea if the movie will be good much less his performance in it. 

I think it IS apparent that Ledger's performance is the standard. Yes, you might not like it, but the general acceptance in the comic community is that it was wonderful. I think his death cemented the Oscar, but I think he still would have won against the other roles nominated. Thats my opinion though. I know there's no way to know that.

I hope this movie will be good (and his performance). There just hasn't been much yet to judge it as a whole.

Just now, TwoPiece said:

I already said that it's not a perfect movie.

It's still a great movie, for those who love the sources that the narratives where derived from.

Man of Steel - destroys major city - fans cry about it. Dawn of Justice - destroys mostly abandoned property - fans cry about.

There's seriously no pleasing some people.

I actually liked Man of Steel.

My point about the destruction of abandoned property is where is this huge swath of empty property? Little too convenient.

1 minute ago, Red84 said:

I actually liked Man of Steel.

My point about the destruction of abandoned property is where is this huge swath of empty property? Little too convenient.

They used Detroit as an inspiration for Gotham, so...

Detroit has a s^&*-ton of abandoned warehouse areas similar to the Gotham Port.

Edited by TwoPiece