• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

If the movie has Joker beaten down by life and then he rises up against it in the middle or towards the end to become a villain, it's got potential.  All we saw in the trailer was him being crazy and getting beat up; we never saw him as a villain.  Why leave that part out?  Just a single scene where he started to become the super-villain we all know could have taken the trailer from "meh" to "WHOA".

I think they want to movie to also be more about one man rising up to be a villain, I think the point is to take the "villain" out of the equation and look at the Joker as man, against the troubles of the world and/or maybe an anti-hero of sorts. I think the potential to look at him as a person rising up against the troubles of the world and going crazy is more exciting than just a plain old villain in the world. The Joker is definitely more complicated than just being a villain and to see the world through his (crazy) eyes and mind, is the goal here.  

Overall, i am pretty excited for this movie and the potential it has to 1. Be a great movie & 2. A good anti-hero movie for the DC Cinematic Universe.  

:martini:

15 minutes ago, marmat said:

I loved Ledger's Joker, but I don't think it was that great, or Oscar winning level.

He was one of the best on-screen villains of all time across all genres.  I rank Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter first, Ledger as Joker second, and Javier Bardem as Anton Chigurh in "No Country For Old Men" third.

I enjoyed Jack Nicholson as Joker in 1989 Batman, but he never seemed like he could ever be a real person, he was cartoony in the same way that Tim Burton made most elements of that film cartoony.  Ledger made Joker feel like he could have actually been a real lunatic.  He converted me from skeptical of the entire concept of the character to a real believer in just how incredibly evil the character could be.

6 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

They used Detroit as an inspiration for Gotham, so...

Detroit has a s^&*-ton of abandoned warehouse areas similar to the Gotham Port.

I dated two different women from Detroit over the years and the one thing they both said to me that I always found interesting was they said if I like Gotham so much I should check out Detroit from where they come from because with all the abandoned warehouses I would get an a eerie Gotham feel. I always wondered why they both said that now I know.

lol. 

1 minute ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I dated two different women from Detroit over the years and the one thing they both said to me that I always found interesting was they said if I like Gotham so much I should check out Detroit from where they come from because with all the abandoned warehouses I would get an a eerie Gotham feel. I always wondered why they both said that now I know.

lol. 

On the flip side - they used Vancouver as the inspiration and shooting area for Metropolis.

A tale of 2 cities. At the time, Detroit was a Hel hole (kinda still is) and Vancouver is one of the nicest cities in the world.

Edited by TwoPiece

4 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

He was one of the best on-screen villains of all time across all genres.  I rank Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter first, Ledger as Joker second, and Javier Bardem as Anton Chigurh in "No Country For Old Men" third.

I enjoyed Jack Nicholson as Joker in 1989 Batman, but he never seemed like he could ever be a real person, he was cartoony in the same way that Tim Burton made most elements of that film cartoony.  Ledger made Joker feel like he could have actually been a real lunatic.  He converted me from skeptical of the entire concept of the character to a real believer in just how incredibly evil the character could be.

+1

4 minutes ago, DjMartini said:

I think the point is to take the "villain" out of the equation and look at the Joker as man, against the troubles of the world and/or maybe an anti-hero of sorts.

Well that's quite a change for one of the most iconic villains of the last century, but sure, maybe they do that for most of the film then he becomes a villain at the very end.  So why not show him being that anti-hero in the trailer?  I can't tell what the heck they're doing except showing him as a loon.  I've seen dozens of movies about lunatics, and this one in the teaser didn't stand out from those.  The only reason I'm even still paying attention after the trailer is because it's the Joker.

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

Well that's quite a change for one of the most iconic villains of the last century, but sure, maybe they do that for most of the film then he becomes a villain at the very end.  So why not show him being that anti-hero in the trailer?  I can't tell what the heck they're doing except showing him as a loon.  I've seen dozens of movies about lunatics, and this one in the teaser didn't stand out from those.  The only reason I'm even still paying attention after the trailer is because it's the Joker.

Yeah, he is the obvious protagonist in this (hell its named after him), so he must have a character arc for the movie to work. But, it would be nice to see a different take on it than the simple beaten down guy who becomes a villain to get back at the world. Hopefully, there is more to the story than that. Basically, if its a character study, I hope it is something fresh and new. That surprises us all. Otherwise, it's an arc we have seen time and time again.

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I don't think that they're going to attempt this because this is supposed to be a "one and done" type of film.

Phoenix isn't interested in reprising his role in any future films (that's why he turned down Doctor Strange - among other MCU roles offered).

We won't know until October, though.

Joker is an iconic villain. IMO it can't be a Joker movie if it isn't true to the character.

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Scorsese and DeNiro's involvement is probably biasing my perception, but definitely getting a King of Comedy vibe with a little Taxi Driver thrown in. I see no reason for this movie to exist, but since it does, I'm glad it at least looks different. I'm looking forward to it.

From the trailer, I thought this was a remake of King of Comedy.

1 hour ago, kevhtx said:

Is it apparent? Even if they handed out Best Actor for a Teaser, I don't think he would win. There's just not enough to know yet. We have no idea if the movie will be good much less his performance in it. 

I think it IS apparent that Ledger's performance is the standard. Yes, you might not like it, but the general acceptance in the comic community is that it was wonderful. I think his death cemented the Oscar, but I think he still would have won against the other roles nominated. Thats my opinion though. I know there's no way to know that.

I hope this movie will be good (and his performance). There just hasn't been much yet to judge it as a whole.

I did not say I didn't like his performance. I said that I loved Ledger's Joker but that I think Phoenix's Joker will be better. 

I liked Ledger very much, I just don't see it as a historic acting performance like many do. For so many folks it was a 10 out of 10, to me it was more like 8 out of 10, still remarkable.

About this trailer, I saw a couple of expressions in his face that lead me to think he knocked it out of the park.

1 hour ago, Red84 said:

"Martha, her name's Martha? Now I can't kill you for some reason." - Batman

That's one of many reasons why that movie is not good. Another reason is the giant CGI goblin monster destroying a huge and apparently vacant portion of the city.

I won’t defend the movie but I had no issue with the Martha scene and think the net blew it up for nothing. What I saw was when the name Martha was mumbled, it gave Bruce a moment of pause where he wanted to know why Clark was saying what he thought was his mothers name. It was in that moment that Lois dived between the two covering Clark. Batman was not going to go through her and in a rage came to his senses and just threw it in the other direction. No issue with that scene whatsoever. I just didn’t like the movie. Luckily that warehouse fight scene was worth the price of admission.

I think they are going after Joker is a timeless character. So even though in comic books Batman and Joker appear to be the same age, it could play on this theme about the mystery of his age and origin.

This 2012 NYCC video with DC creators does a good job of discussing the mystery and themes of The Joker.