• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

They have to, as now that this is out there any site not reporting it will be seen as ignoring the chance to warn people.

I have a feeling this is going to hurt the initial release of the film. The reporting sites pushing this narrative of a 'wide-spread incel extremist group' are gaining traction. No matter the details (including the actual DOD memorandum).

17 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

It's a nasty reference. But since you asked and the term keeps being used towards people wanting to see Joker.

Incel_definition.JPG.98119ffbc47f4c0809a9ac72e1451546.JPG

So the assumption is only 'loner incels' are into this film, not knowing anything about the comic book background of the Joker and his history.

Okay, I'll bite, and maybe I can finally get you to answer this question....

So, other than "incels", and the diehard comic book fanboys, who exactly is going to be the audience for this film to make it the "record setting blockbuster" fanboys and incels so desperately want it to be?

Women ?

Nooooo.

Minorities?

Lol, yeah right.

Families?

Come on.

Kids?

They won't even be able to get in to the theater.

Date nighters?

Good luck talking your girlfriend into that.

So what large groups will get this thing to "four quadrant" status ?

I think WB is making a big mistake with their marketing, trying to sell this niche/wanna be arthouse film to a mass market.  They think slapping the "Joker" name and including a few other obligatory, very loose connections to Batman lore, will get people into theaters en masse.  I see a lot of perturbed and offended general audiences, at least the ones showing up on Thursday and Friday, and bad audience buzz when word starts getting around that this is a dark, depressing movie about a 45 year old loser who "can't get laid", is a "professional clown" for a living and spends half of the over-long movie running through the streets aimlessly and the other half getting beaten up by somebody, either physically or verbally.  Bring out the Oscar's? Lol sure.  Like I said, nobody cares about critics (or even really the Oscars) anymore.  

Come to think of it, this movie sounds a lot like a recently concluded show on FX.

It was called Baskets. :idea:

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

6 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Okay, I'll bite, and maybe I can finally get you to answer this question....

Spoiler

So, other than "incels", and the diehard comic book fanboys, who exactly is going to be the audience for this film to make it the "record setting blockbuster" fanboys and incels so desperately want it to be?

Women ?

Nooooo.

Minorities?

Lol, yeah right.

Families?

Come on.

Kids?

They won't even be able to get in to the theater.

Date nighters?

Good luck talking your girlfriend into that.

So what large groups will get this thing to "four quadrant" status ?

I think WB is making a big mistake with their marketing, trying to sell this niche/wanna be arthouse film to a mass market.  They think slapping the "Joker" name and including a few other obligatory, very loose connections to Batman lore, will get people into theaters en masse.  I see a lot of perturbed and offended general audiences, at least the ones showing up on Thursday and Friday, and bad audience buzz when word starts getting around that this is a dark, depressing movie about a 45 year old loser who "can't get laid", is a "professional clown" for a living and spends half of the over-long movie running through the streets aimlessly and the other half getting beaten up by somebody, either physically or verbally.  Bring out the Oscar's? Lol sure.  Like I said, nobody cares about critics (or even really the Oscars) anymore.  

Come to think of it, this movie sounds a lot like a recently concluded show on FX.

It was called Baskets. :idea:

-J.

Well, since you asked and I have answered before, let's try again so even you can read it. Women and men, 17 or older, who are mature enough to enjoy a comic book film concerning real-world concerns while also honoring the source material presented in Batman: The Killing Joke and other books which even Todd Phillips clarified later is the case.

And how do I know women and men will see this?

Joker_critics.thumb.PNG.df316c85c8d89666753f3d908b05a431.PNG

It's not just male critics categorizing this as FRESH and POSITIVE.

10 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Well, since you asked and I have answered before, let's try again so even you can read it. Women and men, 17 or older, who are mature enough to enjoy a comic book film concerning real-world concerns while also honoring the source material presented in Batman: The Killing Joke and other books which even Todd Phillips clarified later is the case.

And how do I know women and men will see this?

Joker_critics.thumb.PNG.df316c85c8d89666753f3d908b05a431.PNG

It's not just male critics categorizing this as FRESH and POSITIVE.

Even Phillip's has stated this movie is loose and liberal with canon, and even among the most dedicated fanboys this is being called an "elseworlds" interpretation.  

Critics have to see movies as part of their, erm.... "job".

That is not a case for females going out en masse and paying to see a movie.  

You really see that happening with this? 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

17 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Even Phillip's has stated this movie is loose and liberal with canon, and even among the most dedicated fanboys this is being called an "elseworlds" interpretation.  

Critics have to see movies as part of their, erm.... "job".

That is not a case for females going out en masse and paying to see a movie.  

You really see that happening with this? 

-J.

Many of these films stray from the source material. In this case with Joker, because his origin is so obscure even after all these years, it isn't that hard to fill in the gaps with new material. Yet Phillips made it clear the source material was part of his reference.

Todd Phillips sets the record straight about comics influencing Joker

“It’s funny because a lot of you guys have probably reprinted something I said in Empire where I was misquoted,” Phillips told a small group of press, myself included, after an early screening of the film.

“I’m not gonna complain,” Phillips continued. “I like the writer; he wrote a great piece where I said we didn’t take anything from the comic book world. It’s actually not what I said. What I said was we didn’t take anything from one particular comic. We kind of picked and chose what we liked from the kind of 80-year canon of Joker. We kind of pulled a few things that we liked.”

Now as far as critics having to do their job and seeing films, I agree. And they are given the freedom to like or dislike a film. So far, via RT aggregation, 75% of critics are calling this FRESH and POSITIVE.

Where did I say females en masse are going to pay to see this film? Even in other comic book films, the larger audience is male (EX: Endgame IMDb users was 55% male).

IMDB_Endgame.PNG.8885933db3b6c05afea7904f3eaf49e8.PNG

You really are going to ignore facts to hear your own talking points? :)

Edited by Bosco685

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Many of these films stray from the source material. In this case with Joker, because his origin is so obscure even after all these years, it isn't that hard to fill in the gaps with new material. Yet Phillips made it clear the source material was part of his reference.

Todd Phillips sets the record straight about comics influencing Joker

Now as far as critics having to do their job and seeing films, I agree. And they are given the freedom to like or dislike a film. So far, via RT aggregation, 75% of critics are calling this FRESH and POSITIVE.

Where did I say females en masse are going to pay to see this film? Even in other comic book films, the larger audience is male (EX: Endgame IMDb users was 55% male).

IMDB_Endgame.PNG.8885933db3b6c05afea7904f3eaf49e8.PNG

You really are going to ignore facts to hear your own talking points? :)

That is just one demo that films need to attract to get to "blockbuster" status, and my question wasn't limited to just that one demo.  

Venom, the movie people keep weirdly trying to compare this movie to, was watered (dumbed) down to a PG-13 for the explicit purpose of getting that diverse audience you need to get to "blockbuster" status.  

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/venom-a-dramatically-diverse-audience-makes-a-record-october-opening-1150068

Yes an R-rated Halloween came around a couple weeks later and knocked it out of the top spot, but then Halloween went on to "only" make $250MM worldwide- still a hit, relative to its budget for sure, but Venom went on to make $850MM.

This is why I put this film more in the Halloween/Us/Get Out box, and am holding to my guesstimates for what this movie will earn when it finally comes out next week.

-J.

22 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

That is just one demo that films need to attract to get to "blockbuster" status, and my question wasn't limited to just that one demo.  

Venom, the movie people keep weirdly trying to compare this movie to, was watered (dumbed) down to a PG-13 for the explicit purpose of getting that diverse audience you need to get to "blockbuster" status.  

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/venom-a-dramatically-diverse-audience-makes-a-record-october-opening-1150068

Yes an R-rated Halloween came around a couple weeks later and knocked it out of the top spot, but then Halloween went on to "only" make $250MM worldwide- still a hit, relative to its budget for sure, but Venom went on to make $850MM.

This is why I put this film more in the Halloween/Us/Get Out box, and am holding to my guesstimates for what this movie will earn when it finally comes out next week.

-J.

So then you are clear now on the assumed audience target? This being an R-Rated film and the topic.

Before the film has even hit theaters, Joker has been embroiled in controversy, despite some officials saying there is yet to be a reason to assume the release of the film will result in real-world violence. Back in 2012, a late-night screening of The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, Colorado resulted in tragedy when a man burst into the theater and began shooting, killing 12 audience members. The previous film in the series saw the Joker acting as an agent of chaos, with the shooter dying his hair bright red for the attack and igniting initial reports that claimed the shooter admitted to doing this as an homage to the homicidal character.

The grim subject matter of the film, in conjunction with the Aurora shooting and the growing number of mass shootings, has resulted in speculation from some individuals that the film's release will serve as a catalyst for more violence to occur.

“No credible threats at this time, but we are going to closely monitor what’s going on,” an LAPD spokesperson shared with TheWrap.

Nothing is glorified or brushed upon, Joker is a fictional tale seen through a realistic lens. A fantastically twisted origin story that completely differentiates itself from all past iterations, it is truly a unique take on the character. Todd Phillips’ approach is to take the basis for the Joker, a comic book character and place him in a Joaquin Phoenix film. It’s not a comic book film with Joaquin Phoenix, but the other way.

Joker, Phillips’ film – a breathtakingly dark character study – is incredible. With a wealth of fascinating inspiration, Joker redoubtably transports you to the late 70’s, well specifically as Phillips has said, the summer of 1979. There is a clear spotlight on underbelly of stardom, what is created is a film of clear influence by Scorsese’s Taxi Driver, The Man Who Laughed and The King of Comedy, Joker is able to expand on the excellence of Ledger, Nicholson and Ramero’s versions and create something so strangely different.

Joker is a brazenly breathtaking film with Joaquin Phoenix delivering an out-of-this-world performance as the clown prince of crime and Todd Phillips soars with his utterly beautiful direction. It will disturb, contort and make you laugh, it finds the perfect fine line between tragedy and comedy. This is a DC film not to miss. Phillips has made a Joaquin Phoenix film, not a comic book film.

5/5 Stars ★★★★★

3 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Women ?

Nooooo.

My significant other HATES comic book movies and won't watch any, but she wants to see this because she's a fan of Joaquin Phoenix and because it doesn't have any costumed superheroes in it.  The Joker doesn't draw women, but Joaquin does.  She also likes critically-acclaimed films, and the reviews on this along with winning the Venice Film Festival award has her interested.  In general you're right though, this isn't the film that would typically draw women, but this one will draw more than it otherwise would have.

I tried to get her to see "The Dark Knight" before we see this, but no go.  She can't sit through a superhero film.

Edited by fantastic_four

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Any word on presales from the last week ?  I haven't seen any breathless articles hyping which other movies it has sold better than, or reports of ticket websites crashing.  :insane:

Also, I stopped following "Box Office Guru", last year, when it was this wrong about Venom, even after the movie was already out. :roflmao:

https://mobile.twitter.com/giteshpandya/status/1048223066520805377

-J.

7 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Any word on presales from the last week ?  I haven't seen any breathless articles hyping which other movies it has sold better than, or reports of ticket websites crashing.  :insane:

Also, I stopped following "Box Office Guru", last year, when it was this wrong about Venom, even after the movie was already out. :roflmao:

https://mobile.twitter.com/giteshpandya/status/1048223066520805377

-J.

I had heard he was looking to partner with you. :whatthe:

:popcorn:

6 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I had heard he was looking to partner with you. :whatthe:

:popcorn:

Hell I don't get paid or look for followers or clicks with my predictions, I do it for fun and to stoke friendly debate, and FYI, my batting average on here is better than his lol.  

And come on dude, how can you be so wrong with your projections, even when numbers are already starting to roll in?? :eyeroll:

So... no hyperactive articles about Joker smashing pre-sale numbers records ? (shrug)

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules