• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

Hopefully this will convince Marvel/Disney to do something with their properties other than serving up another one from the bubble gum dispenser. I doubt it though.

Marvel Max.

That Noah Hawley Doctor Doom -script is being mentioned more now. :wishluck:

Hopefully this shows Marvel (and other entertainment businesses from sports leagues to Hollywood in general) that you don't need to tailor your product to or bow before China to make money. Yeah its nice to get that good communist dictatorship cash...but you can still have a very workable and sell-able product without chasing it.

14 hours ago, RedRaven said:

Hopefully this will convince Marvel/Disney to do something with their properties other than serving up another one from the bubble gum dispenser. I doubt it though.

Marvel Max.

Why? Marvel/Disney just made nearly 3 billion with Endgame and the solo MCU movies regularly near or exceed a billion each. And Endgame was as different from Ragnarok as it was different from Black Panther.

How about: Marvel knows how to do the expanded universe well and DC shines when they give good filmmakers a little freedom and just focus on the movie’s story and not shoehorn in useless story elements for the sake of an expanded movie universe that nobody cares about?

16 hours ago, RedRaven said:

Marvel Max.

They have supposedly agreed to allow the next Deadpool movie to be rated R, so that will most likely be the template for Marvel content with more adult themes.  I'm still wondering where Disney will distribute that after it leaves theaters...I'm guessing Hulu and not Disney Plus, but we'll see.

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Why? Marvel/Disney just made nearly 3 billion with Endgame and the solo MCU movies regularly near or exceed a billion each. And Endgame was as different from Ragnarok as it was different from Black Panther.

Marvel obviously knows how to make profitable movies that appeal to a broad audience. Neither of those (profit and popularity) are factors in my enjoyment of a film.

For the record: I don't find much difference between Coke and Pepsi either. They are both carbonated beverages with lots of sugar.

Marvel will definitely continue with their current formula which has been wildly successful. Is it too much to hope that those of us who are bored with that approach might have a few bones tossed our way?

8 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

Marvel obviously knows how to make profitable movies that appeal to a broad audience. Neither of those (profit and popularity) are factors in my enjoyment of a film.

For the record: I don't find much difference between Coke and Pepsi either. They are both carbonated beverages with lots of sugar.

Marvel will definitely continue with their current formula which has been wildly successful. Is it too much to hope that those of us who are bored with that approach might have a few bones tossed our way?

:pullhair:

Coca-Cola is way better.

Joker’s success, alongside the blow-out wins of Aquaman, Wonder Woman and (relatively speaking) Shazam!, means Matt Reeves’ The Batman is no longer required to save DC Films from its earlier failures.

For those who just came for the numbers, Joker earned another $4.18 million yesterday, bringing its 14-day total up to $218.005 million. Among comic book movies, that puts it ahead of Venom, X2: X-Men United and Ant-Man and the Wasp. Presuming and over/under $9 million gross for Friday, the $60 million, R-rated grimdark psychological drama/thriller will have $227 million by tonight and will pass the likes of Doctor Strange, Justice League and Logan on Saturday. Presuming a 45% drop for the weekend, Joker will earn $30 million in weekend three for a new $248 million domestic cume. Presuming the film retains (or surpasses) it current 34.7/65.3 domestic/overseas split that it had on Tuesday, it’ll be just over/under $715 million worldwide by Sunday night.

Yes, that will put the film above Justice League ($659 million) and Man of Steel ($668 million) and within spitting distance of Suicide Squad ($745 million). It is possible, if not guaranteed, that Joker will potentially end up just over/under the $821 million gross of Wonder Woman, while ending up just over/under the domestic grosses of Suicide Squad ($325 million), Batman v Superman ($330 million) and Aquaman ($335 million). If that comes to pass, then Joker will end its run as the second-biggest domestic DC Films flick behind Wonder Woman ($412.5 million) and the third-biggest behind Dawn of Justice ($873 million) and Aquaman ($1.155 billion). First, we need to stop treating DC Films like a damaged brand. Second, it no longer needs a Batman movie.

Whatever growing pains they had over trying to make a Superman movie with the somber seriousness of The Dark Knight and the grim violence of Iron Man, only to be flabbergasted by the reaction to the third-act carnage and turn that winger-wagging into the core theme of the sequel, while also panicking enough to throw Batman into the sequel and frame the whole thing as the start of a cinematic universe, well, that’s in the past. Remember, Marvel’s second movie, The Incredible Hulk, was arguably one of their worst films and their only box office flop ($244 million worldwide on a $150 million budget) thus far. They also began back when $376 million for a $140 million Captain America movie was treated as an unmitigated success.