• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No longer for sale...
2 2

67 posts in this topic

PM me your list, please. Depending on what it is we could be an ideal buyer--will buy all of it, able to sell all of it ourselves, not wanting to just cherry pick, will pay more than your LCS or Craigslist people. Also, depending on where you are on the west coast/how big the collection is, we might be able to visit in person to buy and pick up. We're going to be making a California buying run soon--flying to California and buying multiple collections there and in Arizona and New Mexico on our way back to Texas.

Well that's a broad range of ages but without knowing titles its hard to pinpoint who might be interested.  It's also difficult to properly assess a collection's value from a dealers perspective without seeing/inspecting the books.  There's a bunch of solid reputable dealers on here or in the market that I can think of.  Not sure if their offers might be what you would consider but you could try just posting a list of items with grade and ask for 2 types of offers: 1 for the whole lot and another offer per each run if you're willing to sell as runs.  Site unseen, those offers will be low.

Or you could compile a short list of dealers and invite bids.  Send the list along with front and back cover photos of all the keys to them requesting their best offer bid and then allow for 1 or 2 rounds of counterbids.  Isn't there a dealer directory on here somewhere?   I've dealt with Dave and Adams, Bob Storms, Harley, Metropolis, Greg Reece, Bedrock City, among others and have had great experiences buying and selling once a price has been agreed but I've never tried selling them an entire collection, just individual key books.

Just remember, these dealers need to turn a profit so the bulk of value in your collection are going to be books that are liquid (easy to sell) and of high value/high grade.  They are willing to take slimmer margins on those compared to the commons or lesser keys that they'll have to hold onto longer before someone is willing to buy it from them.  Most of the commons and drek will get pennies on the dollar type offers.  You could also offer to sell the bulk for a small amount and have the keys and more expensive books sold on consignment.  That'll take a long time but you don't have to do much work other than shipping the books.  You could review Mycomicshops's want list and see if they're willing to pay decent prices for some of the non-keys.

how many books total are we talking about and how many of them are considered keys?

If the collection is decent enough, you could evaluate the best offer with what one of the auction houses might offer you with a negotiated seller's commission: Comiclink vs Heritage vs Metropolis vs pedigree vs hakes vs comicconnect and see if a better deal could be worked out.

Lots of options.  GLWTS!

1 hour ago, HighRadArt said:

Yes,  I've decided to sale my collection.  I don't have to sell it - it's just time.  I plan on keeping a few books but not any that are really worth much other than sentimental value.  It's a modest collection made up of mostly raw books with a box or two of slabs.

I've already gone through 99% of what I have and put a grade on them.  I still have a lot to go through as far as a list and it's been an eye opener as far as what I've spent over the years.

I've seen a lot of suggestions on selling a collection and besides a graded list of what I have, I'm wondering if there is something else I should include as I'm making a list so I don't have to go over the books again.

I know my LCS would not make an offer that I would consider and I really don't want to deal with folks calling me from Craig's list or piecing it out on EBay.  My goal is to sell all of it (GA, SA, BA, CA, MA) to a repatable dealer and be done with it.  I don't want to give it away so hopefully I can get an acceptable (reasonable) offer.  If not, I'll have a great list of what I have.

Keep in mind I'm on the west coast.

NOTE:  I'm mainly looking for suggestions here - not pms asking what I have and how much I want for it.

While you've got the book out for grading, I'd recommend taking scans/pics of any of the keys in the collection. 

This way you can send some of those, along with the list, to give interested parties a better idea of what they'd be getting.

1 hour ago, mycomicshop said:

PM me your list, please. Depending on what it is we could be an ideal buyer--will buy all of it, able to sell all of it ourselves, not wanting to just cherry pick, will pay more than your LCS or Craigslist people. Also, depending on where you are on the west coast/how big the collection is, we might be able to visit in person to buy and pick up. We're going to be making a California buying run soon--flying to California and buying multiple collections there and in Arizona and New Mexico on our way back to Texas.

I second this motion.  If you just want to sell it all, at once, no hassles and get top dollar go with MCS.

11 minutes ago, HighRadArt said:

Why Harley when I still have the high grade ASMs I purchased from you back when you were and up and coming dealer.

Harley is everywhere at all times.  It's true - that guy always seems to be in the right place at the right time to score collections.

Glad you enjoyed the ASMs!

The bigger the collection the further people will travel but unless it's a huge very expensive collection I'd think you would net more money with going with a fairly close west coast dealer who doesn't have to factor in travel and time expenses.  I sent a large dealer my list of books a couple years ago and wanted to know if they needed anything and they shot back an offer of 40% compared to my for sale price for the collection.  I declined but I'd think that would be the range you will get from a large dealer if your books are not all keys.  Take your time and don't rush into anything if you are talking about tens of thousands of dollars but also don't expect what you paid since selling books takes time and money which has to be recouped by the dealer.  Good luck!

2 hours ago, mycomicshop said:

Recommend these folks. Nothing but good experiences.  (thumbsu

This is why I've kept my collection small and relatively focused.  I know I'll eventually want to liquidate as easily and as quickly as possible.  Not quite there yet to where I'd want to, but given that my buying trend has diminished greatly over the last two years, I may be nearing there myself.  Best of luck moving on.

13 minutes ago, Brian48 said:

This is why I've kept my collection small and relatively focused.  I know I'll eventually want to liquidate as easily and as quickly as possible.  Not quite there yet to where I'd want to, but given that my buying trend has diminished greatly over the last two years, I may be nearing there myself.  Best of luck moving on.

Focused is a good idea. I can't say that unless you include mainly Marvel (including a large run of ASM) as focused. Thanks and best of luck to you as well.