• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is V for Vendetta possibly the most influential comic of our time?
1 1

40 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I wonder who came up with the design. Was it Lloyd or both him and Moore. Is there an interview with them discussing it?

It's a traditional English design... here's a photo of an antique one:

599de0ae63ab5_GuyFawkes.thumb.jpg.23497a7974d1362177ce91be3adc572b.jpg

I think Lloyd just drew a simplified version of it, and the masks were later mass-produced after the movie came out.

I've heard that Warner Brothers actually holds the rights to the popular version of the mask we see on TV, so - intentionally or not - those who wear it are supporting a multinational corporation!

2 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

But then again, is it the design? or the "creepiness" of him that made the mask so popular. 

If it was just a question mark on a face lets say, would that be as impactful

I think its the smug look of superiority the mask exudes that protesters find irresistible.

7 minutes ago, Brock said:

It's a traditional English design... here's a photo of an antique one:

599de0ae63ab5_GuyFawkes.thumb.jpg.23497a7974d1362177ce91be3adc572b.jpg

I think Lloyd just drew a simplified version of it, and the masks were later mass-produced after the movie came out.

I've heard that Warner Brothers actually holds the rights to the popular version of the mask we see on TV, so - intentionally or not - those who wear it are supporting a multinational corporation!

That is definitely brilliant. I wasnt aware of those masks prior to V. 

2 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Watching the news on several channels in the past few weeks I kept on hearing the moderators referrals to V for Vendetta on several occasions. I always thought that the mask was Guy Fawkes but apparently these reporters didnt think so

Yeah I have heard that too several times watching the news lately and referring to the masks as "V for Vendetta style masks." I thought shouldn't they call them Guy Fawkes masks? Maybe they figure most people in America do not know who Guy Fawkes is but people know V for Vendetta.

4 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Yeah but V is more than just a meme. He is associated now with many activists. Anonymous being the most widely recognized and had been active for many years now

My deep apology. I implored myself.  You said many activists like alt left and antifa?  I think V does both real politics and productions.

13 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

To keep this comic related. I find this to be very difficult in high grade.

I love V for Vendetta.

42351b764a376fdbe3b739d6de3d643d.jpg

Just added to my very short wantlist of bronze age books.  Story had real impact on me, like Slaughterhouse Five, Animal Farm and 1984 all did.  Movie is superb.  

Edited by ThothAmon

45 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

To keep this comic related. I find this to be very difficult in high grade.

I love V for Vendetta.

42351b764a376fdbe3b739d6de3d643d.jpg

I did notice Warrior and V/Vendetta books closing for crazy monies lately. May be bcs of this or not. Even tho I'm pretty sure that political activists are not geeks like us and follow 1st appearances etc

14 hours ago, JollyComics said:

My deep apology. I implored myself.  You said many activists like alt left and antifa?  I think V does both real politics and productions.

While the term alt-left its used many in the alt-right actually call them ctrl-left fro clarification

12 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Yes, as well as Anonymous of course

It's really hard to call Anonymous a group since anybody can join, and of course be anonymous. They never had any real unification, with isolated groups doing things in their name. It's also important to point out that anonymous was started on the image board of 4chan, which many consider to be right-wing, and has been labelled a hate website for Nazi's, and such. It's also where the Pepe the frog meme was created, and evolved. This is because people for the most part don't know that other boards  besides /b/ (trolls, and images to offend), and /pol/ (the one that has been on the news) exist on there.

The problem with this stuff is that MSM has never been good with internet culture, either as knowing what it is, or explaining it. This is why trolls on 4chan have been able to get things such as milk, the piece sign, and that purple dove labelled as hate symbols by the media, and largely leftest figures. Even when the left claimed Pepe the frog memes as a hate symbol, they didn't realize that it was just a template, and that you could use the character anyway you wanted including pro-left memes which I've seen. But again since the MSM, and many politicians, and "experts" don't actually know how website cultures work like with 4chan, which started as an anime image board, and still is mainly, they get the average person to believe them starting a lot of these problems.

As for your Guy Fawkes mask, I would say that while it did become a symbol for protesting it has since died down to a large extent. Maybe back during the occupy days, but not much now, since I see a lot smaller numbers of them in protest with a negative connection to the mask now which many believe to be cringe. This is again do to internet culture. For your main point though I would say yes the movie is what got it into peoples mind since I don't think many knew who, Guy Fawkes was, or the story about the mask creation.

Edited by DeadpoolJr.

20 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I'd think Grimm Fairy Tales #1 is the most influential comic book of recent times.  Hot scantily clad woman on the cover with very little time spent on the actual story.  Seems to have been a segway into most modern books. 

Grimm Fairy Tales.jpg

A Segway you ride.   A segue is a transition

14 minutes ago, Bronty said:

A Segway you ride.   A segue is a transition

Wow - way to make a guy with a learning disability feel worse about himself.  :sorry:

5 hours ago, Brock said:
5 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

I wonder who came up with the design. Was it Lloyd or both him and Moore. Is there an interview with them discussing it?

It's a traditional English design...

It was Lloyd's idea to use the Guy Fawkes imagery.

"The big breakthrough was all Dave's, as much as it sickens me to admit it. More remarkable still, it was all contained in one single letter that he'd dashed off the top of his head and which, like most of Dave's handwriting, needed the equivalent of a Rosetta Stone to actually interpret. I transcribe the relevant portions beneath:

"Re. The -script: While I was writing this, I had this idea about the hero, which is a bit redundant now we've got [can't read the next bit] but nonetheless... I was thinking, why don't we portray him as a resurrected Guy Fawkes, complete with one of those papier mache masks, in a cape and conical hat? He'd look really bizarre and it would give Guy Fawkes the image he's deserved all these years. We shouldn't burn the chap every Nov. 5th but celebrate his attempt to blow up Parliament!"

The moment I read these words, two things occurred to me. Firstly, Dave was obviously a lot less sane than I'd hitherto believed him to be, and secondly, this was the best idea I'd ever heard in my entire life. All of the various fragments in my head suddenly fell into place, united behind the single image of a Guy Fawkes mask. Brain reeling, I read on."

- Alan Moore (excerpt from an article originally published in Warrior Magazine and reprinted in at least some versions of the TPB)

On 8/23/2017 at 2:57 PM, 1Cool said:

I'd think Grimm Fairy Tales #1 is the most influential comic book of recent times.  Hot scantily clad woman on the cover with very little time spent on the actual story.  Seems to have been a segway into most modern books. 

Grimm Fairy Tales.jpg

If so, we should all be looking for the source material that inspired them

s-l1600 (2).jpg