• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I am lamenting the loss of our history & traditions
1 1

39 posts in this topic

On 08/24/2017 at 11:26 PM, sfcityduck said:

Anyone recall if he ever posted close ups of his All Stars?

Not up to page 500 or so of his thread, iirc. That's about where I stopped reading after many hours over several weeks. At that point it had gotten deeply into other topics different from comic book covers, more like details of content, illustrations ...? (Also very stunning, but I needed a rest. Now it seems to be too late to go on.) Has he ever posted his Tec27? Has anyone saved that pic?

4 hours ago, Pickie said:

Not up to page 500 or so of his thread, iirc. That's about where I stopped reading after many hours over several weeks. At that point it had gotten deeply into other topics different from comic book covers, more like details of content, illustrations ...? (Also very stunning, but I needed a rest. Now it seems to be too late to go on.) Has he ever posted his Tec27? Has anyone saved that pic?

I never saw it if he did.

1 hour ago, ft88 said:

Funny about the AA16 was it was cropped either on all 4 sides or 3 anyway.  There were a few other close ups but not many and only at first. 

Right.  I was the second person to see his first posting (All-Americans) and I PM'd him to please set his scanner so the edges could be seen. 

I haven't gone back and re-read the thread, but there were a few weeks of playing coy.  As if he knew they were worth something but played the eccentric aloof collector.  When in reality his knowledge rivaled pretty much anyones.  Even the cropping was probably done purposefully. 
ed

The original Bangzoom thread is one of the very best threads I've ever seen on the board.

I have to admit I enjoyed the group shots and individual book scans more than I did all of the interior shots though. But I understand why he stopped posting cover scans of his raw books. 

Me too. He gave me some good advice soon after I joined the boards which I have always stood with. 

Everybody forgets about his incredible pulp collection. Aside from the money factor. I think his pulps even rival his comics. 

Great guy. I wish he would come back here but we might have burnt him out.

Photobucket in their greed will be losing a ton of current users. I am currently paying for 2 subscriptions, the costs is about $10.00 a month and $120 a year for each account which I will pay. The cost increases in 2018 to over $400 per account.  Photobucket cant do a moderate increase, no it has to be 4x the cost.

I am just done with them.

So to those offering to help maintain Bangzoom's photobucket account; it will cost over $400 next year. Just FYI.

I've started going through Bangzoom's thread trying to rescue images.  Some of the links I can follow and download the images and some I can't - not sure why.   Already started a thread to store the images but decided that it would be more useful if the images were alphabetical and indexed so I'll wait until I've gone through his original thread before adding to it.

If anyone has scans of his books please send them to me so I can add them.

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

Photobucket in their greed will be losing a ton of current users. I am currently paying for 2 subscriptions, the costs is about $10.00 a month and $120 a year for each account which I will pay. The cost increases in 2018 to over $400 per account.  Photobucket cant do a moderate increase, no it has to be 4x the cost.

I am just done with them.

So to those offering to help maintain Bangzoom's photobucket account; it will cost over $400 next year. Just FYI.

Somehow, I kind of think he wishes those photos would go away. 

The original thread on the old boards is what opened my eyes to the various online comics forums. Before I had seen that thread I had never even known that so many comics related sites existed. I was like an island to myself as none of my friends are collectors. All I had had was my Comics Buyers Guide weekly turned monthly and now gone magazine. Even though I do not post a whole lot I absolutely love reading what others have to say.