• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most desirable Golden Age GGA comics?
2 2

75 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, jabats said:

Well, I started the thread in 2017, and in the past two years the hobby has been on fire 🔥... I think the list of “most valuable GGA books” is due for a 2019-2020 update, if anyone is willing. 

FWIW, I liked Rick’s methodology of estimating the value of a 6.0 book, since some of the titles are more or less available in super high grade.

Startling 49 has slipped for sure. Phantom Lady 17 is doing pretty well. I was blown away by this sale: 

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 12.40.49 am.png

On 8/25/2017 at 10:03 AM, Robot Man said:

I know I'm in the minority but I really like Seven Seas #6 a little more than #4

On 8/25/2017 at 10:11 AM, Robot Man said:

A lot of love for Blue Beetle #54. Great book but I like #52 way better even though I have never owned one.:sorry:

Hey Robot Man;

It looks like we either have a great love for the underdog or we just got tired of seeing the same old same old GGA books being hyped in the Overstreet from as far back as the early 70's.  :bigsmile:

I also prefer the Blue Beetle 52 with the gorgeous colors over the long acknowledged BB 54.  As for Seven Seas 4, I remember first trying to chase down a Seven Seas 6 and had to settle for a SS 4 instead as consolation since that was the only one which the dealer had at the time.  As for Phantom Lady's, I guess I must also once again be in the minority as I prefer the PL 23 over the PL 17.  :whatthe:   :luhv:

13 minutes ago, lou_fine said:
On 8/25/2017 at 6:11 PM, Robot Man said:

A lot of love for Blue Beetle #54. Great book but I like #52 way better even though I have never owned one.:sorry:

I also prefer the Blue Beetle 52 with the gorgeous colors over the long acknowledged BB 54. 

All great books, and I don't have the privilege of owning any of them, but I like 49 better than both :cloud9:

bb49.jpg.b8b6d3f7a4e68e51e7a13ba46e9f5728.jpg

On 9/8/2017 at 9:51 AM, sagii said:

This baby has crossed the threshold: Last week HA sold 1 of the 3 highest graded copies (9 in total on the census) for over 3K w/bp. That's treading Venus territory. I have long thought this was one of the most envelope pushing covers in the golden age since @Pat Calhoun did a piece on it way back in CBM. I had to have one after seeing it.  I think what took the title so long to get 'really appreciated' is because though the interiors featured such masters as L.B. Cole, the stories aren't as gruesome as say Atlas books. But as the hobby becomes more cover focused (thank you CGC), Manhunt features some that can stand with the best of them.

I sold my #1, #6 and #9 on the Boards last week, but #14 and this one i am holding onto. This was an upgrade years ago, my previous copy i sold on eBay (should have kept that one too :cry:).  I believe it to be 6.0 -7.5, i'll know for sure one day.  My favorite non hero woman in peril cover :luhv:

Manhunt #2.jpg

The highest graded (1 of 3) copy of this book is in the current Clink auction. It will be interesting to see where it lands: https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dmanhunt%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1367586&id=1367586&itemType=0