• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why comic OA is better than fine art
1 1

346 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Yep that's a great example of what 'art' is.  

3 hours ago, kav said:

Yep that's a great example of what 'art' is.  

Probably more an example of art criticism. As the article says:  "And this being 4chan, the probability that it’s a hoax is overwhelming — although the winning bidder has a long history on the site and hasn’t retracted any other bids in the past six months. That said, eBay does allow sellers and buyers to agree to cancel bids — so if Xhacker02 and the winning bidder are in cahoots, money will never change hands. And we will never know!" 

1 hour ago, drdroom said:

Probably more an example of art criticism. As the article says:  "And this being 4chan, the probability that it’s a hoax is overwhelming — although the winning bidder has a long history on the site and hasn’t retracted any other bids in the past six months. That said, eBay does allow sellers and buyers to agree to cancel bids — so if Xhacker02 and the winning bidder are in cahoots, money will never change hands. And we will never know!" 

True but keep in mind 'my bed' was no hoax and it has as much artistic merit as this 'piece'.

Stumbled across an article that I thought some here might find interesting, in regards to the "is it Art with a captial A" discussion.
The article seems at least on first glance to be fairly even handed. Pointing out factual errors in other articles that decry his work, while also taking time to criticise under other criteria.

I thought to post it here, because if Wyeth's Christina's World is struggling to be taken seriously, even the best of the best Kirby has little to no chance... unless the prevailing perspectives among the fine art establishment (curatorial, educational, etc) are all at some point either broadened or shifted in some enormous way.

That said, the bit about Wyeth bringing bodies to the building could be similarly repeated at some future time, should a Kirby (etc.) work be exhibited. I could see future generations of folks that have seen all the movies, etc not ponying up for the OA themselves, but being at least interested in going to a museum to see such historic work. Even if it is by the water fountain.... ;)

And of course I've said in other threads on the topic, I'd think we'd be more likely to see Kirby OA on display in the Smithsonian American History museum than in the Smithsonian National Gallery of Art.

https://hyperallergic.com/397350/a-retrospective-of-andrew-wyeth-a-painter-both-loved-and-loathed/

Edited by ESeffinga

2 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Stumbled across an article that I thought some here might find interesting, in regards to the "is it Art with a captial A" discussion.
The article seems at least on first glance to be fairly even handed. Pointing out factual errors in other articles that decry his work, while also taking time to criticise under other criteria.

I thought to post it here, because if Wyeth's Christina's World is struggling to be taken seriously, even the best of the best Kirby has little to no chance... unless the prevailing perspectives among the fine art establishment (curatorial, educational, etc) are all at some point either broadened or shifted in some enormous way.

That said, the bit about Wyeth bringing bodies to the building could be similarly repeated at some future time, should a Kirby (etc.) work be exhibited. I could see future generations of folks that have seen all the movies, etc not ponying up for the OA themselves, but being at least interested in going to a museum to see such historic work. Even if it is by the water fountain.... ;)

And of course I've said in other threads on the topic, I'd think we'd be more likely to see Kirby OA on display in the Smithsonian American History museum than in the Smithsonian National Gallery of Art.

https://hyperallergic.com/397350/a-retrospective-of-andrew-wyeth-a-painter-both-loved-and-loathed/

Jack Kirby has at least 10X the cultural and historical significance - and influence - of any contemporary artist, alive or dead. The ONLY reason he's not held in higher regard by the FA community is intellectual snobbery. Plain and simple.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

3 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Even if it is by the water fountain.... ;)

My first MOMA visit was this June. I was surprised to see Christina's at all (not being aware, nor caring, who owned it) and moreso at the water fountain (and restrooms). Then I my next emotion was amusement as only at MOMA could such a well known and popular piece be just hanging about like so much casual decoration (not in a gallery, in other words). My guess would be that they enjoyed the context placing it there also.

11 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Jack Kirby has at least 10X the cultural and historical significance - and influence - of any contemporary artist, alive or dead. The ONLY reason he's not held in higher regard by the FA community is intellectual snobbery. Plain and simple.

I have the impression Kirby is held in extremely high regard by the fine art community. A couple years back I loaned some pieces to an excellent show of Kirby, Peter Voulkos, and Leon Golub. 

On 9/7/2017 at 10:54 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

http://risdmuseum.org/art_design/publications/144_what_nerve_alternative_figures_in_american_art_1960_to_the_present

heres another example of Kirby included in a fine art show 

All in all, I think the contemporary art world has an appropriate relationship to the geniuses of popular art, e.g. Kirby, Hitchcock, Kubrick, etc. Sometimes they do museum shows on such artists, but it's understood that these works were not made for the museum/gallery, nor to hang on collectors walls. A Kirby Demon page is not even a complete artwork, it's just a fraction of a larger story which became complete when it was printed in color. So it's appropriate that the fine art world has to do a bit of translation in the presentation.

55 minutes ago, drdroom said:

All in all, I think the contemporary art world has an appropriate relationship to the geniuses of popular art, e.g. Kirby, Hitchcock, Kubrick, etc. Sometimes they do museum shows on such artists, but it's understood that these works were not made for the museum/gallery, nor to hang on collectors walls. A Kirby Demon page is not even a complete artwork, it's just a fraction of a larger story which became complete when it was printed in color. So it's appropriate that the fine art world has to do a bit of translation in the presentation.

That might be why this is one of the pieces used in the exhibition 

IMG_1027.JPG

On 9/7/2017 at 11:40 AM, vodou said:

My first MOMA visit was this June. I was surprised to see Christina's at all (not being aware, nor caring, who owned it) and moreso at the water fountain (and restrooms). Then I my next emotion was amusement as only at MOMA could such a well known and popular piece be just hanging about like so much casual decoration (not in a gallery, in other words). My guess would be that they enjoyed the context placing it there also.

I remember seeing Starry Night on the wall with zero protection.  If I had sneezed I would have damaged it permanently,   Some maniac could have torn it to shreds before anyone had a chance to stop them

2 minutes ago, bluechip said:

I remember seeing Starry Night on the wall with zero protection.  If I had sneezed I would have damaged it permanently,   Some maniac could have torn it to shreds before anyone had a chance to stop them

When I finally made it to Florence, I found the statue of David roped off - you couldn't get within 5 meters of it. I wondered why - much of the statuary I'd seen throughout Italy and much of western Europe in general was not protected in such a manner (the Vatican being a notable difference). It turns out that some time ago some maniac had brought in a hammer and attempted to destroy the statue because a 16th-century painter had instructed him to do so.

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/09/15/world/michelangelo-s-david-is-damaged.html?mcubz=0

So... yeah, this is why we can't freely enjoy nice things.