• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why comic OA is better than fine art
1 1

346 posts in this topic

Depends on the artist.  If it was a smear of paint, a paperclip, 'found art' from the garbage, spit, and a dollar bill glued to a canvas then no.

I can't remember the name, but wasn't there just a kind of obscure golden age comic book artist who was "discovered" as a modern art master recently? They found all of his non-comic book work after he died, and it's now recognized as a major art find. I wish I could recall the name. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

1 minute ago, suspense39 said:

Off the tip of my head Lionel Fininger comes to mind, but he was respected and known in his time, so it wasn't a recent discovery.  Ad Reinhardt was another that crossed over, also known in his time though

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyonel_Feininger

No. I distinctly recall that he was discovered after his death when they found all of his art. Just a year or so ago.

3 hours ago, Will_K said:

So... Kent Williams (.com), his website doesn't reference any of his comic book work.  Does anyone know the price differential between his comic work vs fine art ??

Kent's comic art struggles to hit five figures. Ever. His fine art has the same problem, but hits the wall at...six figures.

1 hour ago, vodou said:

Kent's comic art struggles to hit five figures. Ever. His fine art has the same problem, but hits the wall at...six figures.

In the world of fine art them figures equals a nobody.

There's of course unlimited examples that I would not consider art but someone out there does.  I can't say they are wrong.  My wife and I had this discussion travelling through Central America as she picked up an oil painting from a roadside vendor (a guy selling out of the back of his pickup truck)  for the cost of a Starbucks visit.  It was a beautiful painting and my wife remarked about some of my comic art that I had bought and sold basically saying art valuations are nonsensical.  I of course had to agree.  

I wonder how difficult it is for a comic artist to make that transition into fine art.  While I have not been a fan of Jason Shawn Alexander's work in comics, I love his non-comic stuff.  There seems to be interest in his gallery exhibitions http://www.101exhibit.com/artists/jason-shawn-alexander#works as well.

Another artist I really enjoy that I believe rates to make that transition into fine art is Sean Phillips.  I'm not always very keen on his ink work but I love his painted covers.  

hogabcov3.jpg

Phillips Criminal3.jpg

coverpainting.jpg

Absolutely!  Sean Phillips is a master!!!  And a nice guy-I emailed him out of the blue and he helped me set up my scanner! 

Here's my best Phillips page:

Phillips Incognito BI (1).jpg

On August 25, 2017 at 0:33 PM, kav said:

I love the SA stories-but then I grew up with them.  GA stories bore me to tears but the covers are magnificent.  

I can understand that. I also grew up in the SA. Most superhero stuff bores me now. Even the movies. Maybe I've just read too much of it. I will say that I never get tired of reading ECs or Carl Barks Ducks. A rare case where the stories and art converge for a wonderful experience.

Just now, vodou said:

If you define art by $$$, then I guess so. Good thing you don't define anything for me lol

Really it's the only definition.  What sells in New York galleries for big bucks.  Otherwise flea market art is the same stuff.  

1 minute ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Bill Sinkiewicz might also be a guy who could cross over. 

http://www.billsienkiewiczart.com/gallery.asp?sc=BSWC1

Scrawny New York snotties would have to condone his work and that will never happen.

13 hours ago, Grails said:

I wonder how difficult it is for a comic artist to make that transition into fine art.

It's not impossible, but most that have tried have failed. Or failed at least in the sense of keeping gallery representation (= selling enough for the gallery to invite you back again!) I'm sure a lot of guys that can paint do paint and never show "us" but their friends/family and local scene know all about it.

I used to be very good friends with an artist that rode the fence and did pretty well (but not spectacularly) in both arenas. The way he explained it to me is that all painters can draw, but not all drawers can paint. And that's what he thought held back a lot of comic artists, that they one-medium artists and either didn't try to extend...or couldn't. His words, not mine, but it made sense.

Bill Wray is a dude whose fine art appeals more to me than his comic art, though I like that stuff just fine too!