• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 Getting out of my range...
3 3

121 posts in this topic

Its the AF 15 of the bronze age. Eventually even coverless copies will go for high amounts. I still remember not buying a Very Fine copy of  AF15 in the 80's for cheap. cant remember but think it was like $2K . Same thing will happen or is happening to IH181. I do suggest grabbing IH180 his cameo (or real 1st app to some) as 181 goes out of reach 180 will start to be sought after. Eventually in maybe 10 years we will say the same thing about the top copper books . Venom, Deadpool etc.

Edited by spidrvacc

I compulsively bought a copy from 2nd and Charles a couple of years ago, being the only one I'd seen in a store in town in over a decade... also, I just deposited an inheritance check earlier that week, so I had some extra cash to spend. The store had it labeled as a 6.0 for $500, and I deliberated over this comic for about 15 solid minutes looking at eBay sold listings and the such. Knowing that it was a book that statistically goes up in value year after years I bit the bullet. Over the next year or so, I questioned my decision, because to me the book looks no better than a 5.0, with tape residue on the cover and spine ticks aplenty, but no creasing or anything and sharp colors... also, of course complete with the value stamp. But recently, I've become more comfortable with my purchase, as I've seen copies that looked considerably worse than mine go for $800 or so. I've not run across anything in person that came close to that deal that I got, and this is a book that I would not buy without being able to hold it and look through it, which I was afforded the luxury of doing. 

Point is, if you think you've found a good deal on this book, I'd say get it. History shows it goes up and up... and has for the entirety of my collecting life (late 90s).

Edit: matter of fact, a LCS got a copy with a rough detatched cover and he sold it for $200 not too long ago. The market for buying a copy just to have one regardless of grade certainly exists on this book.

Edited by BishopT

I bit the bullet and purchased two copies about 6 months ago.  I fretted about the money I had just spent on two comic books, because it was the most I had ever spent at one time on a comic purchase. I could now recoup what I spent in tax (it was a store purchase) plus what it cost to get them graded.  That is a win so far. I still wonder if I should part with one of the copies, but from an investment standpoint that seems foolish at this point. This is and will remain the blue chip comic of the Bronze Age, despite the fact it has a relatively high print run and plenty of copies have been slabbed.  I suspect that it will take another moderate jump in value when Marvel decides to resurect the "true" Wolverine. 

I remember snagging a beat up copy with ink over the  entire cover for 100 bucks like  5 years ago.

Tried selling it on here after I snagged a nice graded 5.0 for the same price and got laughed at.

The value on this book has sky rocketed.

I'll see if i can find the pic.

Found it.xNNL626.jpg

Edited by violentluke

I'm not a Wolverine or Hulk collector but I'm kicking myself for passing up a 2.0-2.5 copy with the MVS intact at my LCS a few weeks ago. The owner had just gotten it in and was thinking that he was going to ask $300 for it. I had it in my hands...:facepalm:

Groo and Wolverine were the first two characters that got me into comics in the late 80's and I've only recently started looking for a hulk 181 on ebay.  They're definitely going for more than I expected in any condition, and I'm interested to see what happens to ones signed by Len Wein since his unfortunate passing last week.  I'm not a serious collector, just a Wolverine lover who wants a copy with a decent cover to put in a frame and hang on the wall.  I'm sure I'll find something I'll cherish eventually.

In the meantime though I found the first Groo #1 signed on the first page with a little doodle by Sergio Aragones for only $20, so I'm pretty happy.

Edit: 9/18/17 I finally snagged one on ebay this weekend.  Really looking forward to getting it then seeing how it's graded.  Not expecting much but that's fine as I don't intend to sell it.

Edited by davebo357

Some of these stories are nothing. 

Boston show August 1999

"What's the highest graded Hulk 181 you have?" 

Bob Storms "Near Mint" 

How much is it?

Bob "$475" 

Can't remember what I said 

Bob "Well what do you wanna pay"? 

I passed. 

Walks over to Sol's booth and see's Spider-Man #4 Last page drawn by Mcfarlane (Big building explosion splash) 

How much is this?"

Sol "$400"

Me : "Ok I'll take it"

Walks over to my older brother Michael. "Hey check this out!!!!

Michael "You just spend $400 just now??

Me : Yea, it's Mcfarlane art!

Michael "You need to bring that back!"  

Talks me into it..."Hey, Sol..."   

:facepalm::pullhair:

31 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

Some of these stories are nothing. 

Boston show August 1999

"What's the highest graded Hulk 181 you have?" 

Bob Storms "Near Mint" 

How much is it?

Bob "$475" 

Can't remember what I said 

Bob "Well what do you wanna pay"? 

I passed. 

Walks over to Sol's booth and see's Spider-Man #4 Last page drawn by Mcfarlane (Big building explosion splash) 

How much is this?"

Sol "$400"

Me : "Ok I'll take it"

Walks over to my older brother Michael. "Hey check this out!!!!

Michael "You just spend $400 just now??

Me : Yea, it's Mcfarlane art!

Michael "You need to bring that back!"  

Talks me into it..."Hey, Sol..."   

:facepalm::pullhair:

doh!  :facepalm:

You never really know but by the way it's been going I can see 9.2's hitting $10,000 at some point. I may be dreaming but it would be a nice starting point for a NM / NM- copy. Wolverine is possibly second only to spiderman in the Marvel Universe  and this book has always been in demand to some degree . Also, in the CGC world the cover matters and it's an iconic comic book image . I remember a time a few years back when I had an option to buy a 9.2 for around $1600 Canadian and declined. Thankfully , I came to my senses and bought one a few months later and it's been on a rocket ride since. 

Edited by shane1956

So, I had picked up a decent ungraded Hulk 181 a couple of weeks ago. Amazingly, I've got another opportunity to buy one graded CGC 7.0. I know prices can vary greatly in past sales on eBay & other outlets. Wondering what you all think about how much you'd like to buy at a good price. Also, I know not all 7.0's look alike. Clean white back, no spine ticks that beaks color, but there is a slight quarter ink crease (not deep) on the surface that breaks color. That's the only thing I see wrong. Thanks in advance on any feedback.