• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are the Boomers cashing out?
6 6

380 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, marvelmaniac said:

Yes, this is a rantrant :preach:

I am a boomer and do not "plan" to ever cash out (at least my comic books, I will eventually cash out 9_9)

I have spent the last 38 years collecting the books I had as a kid (and more) and had to get rid of when we moved in 69.

Why would I want to get rid of a collection I loved attaining and still love having just because I am getting older?

I never collected as an investment, I collected because of my love for the comics and the enjoyment they bring me.

This is a good point, as comics have been and still are an integral part of my life.  I'm a borderline boomer (DOB 1961) who is retired.  I do need to winnow my collection down to something manageable before I cack, and unlike you, my  books are predominantly in HG.  I'm thinking of reducing my collection down to the titles I really loved as a kid (like Daredevil) over the next 20 or so years , and scanning and grading the rest, so that my heirs will have somewhere to start on the sell off that will should occur after I die.

14 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

I am a boomer and do not "plan" to ever cash out (at least my comic books, I will eventually cash out 9_9)

I have spent the last 38 years collecting the books I had as a kid (and more) and had to get rid of when we moved in 69.

Why would I want to get rid of a collection I loved attaining and still love having just because I am getting older?

I never collected as an investment, I collected because of my love for the comics and the enjoyment they bring me.

And for whomever these so called "snobs" are...

I have completed runs of Amazing Adventures/Amazing Adult Fantasy (1-14) ASM (No #1  2-441 All Annuals) Avengers,(No #1, 2-125 Annuals 1/2) DD (1-250), F.F. (No #1, 2-416 All Annuals), JIM (GRR 83 -125 Annual 1), Incredible Hulk (No #1 2-6, 102-200 Annuals 1-3), ST (43-134 Annuals 1/2), TOS (1-99), TTA (1-101), Thor (126-265 Annual 1), X-Men (No #1 2-66, 94-150)

Plus complete runs of Rom Spaceknight, All Sad Sack 10 cent issues, Two Gun Kid (1-60) Rawhide Kid 10 cent issues (missing 1 and 15) Kid Colt Outlaw (up to #101, missing 1, 2, 12, 24) plus misc Four Color, Beany and Cecil, Tom Terrific, etc.

The reason I posted all of that is that many of my "older/early" books fall into the Poor .5 - Good 2.0 range and I am still proud to own them and have them as part of my collection.

Here a couple of examples...

Daredevil 1 FR 1.0.JPG

Fantastic Four 2 PR 0.5.JPG

Rawhide Kid 17  PR 0.5 - FR 1.0.JPG

you are a collector, others...... so many others are businessmen and its all about profit, which is a good thing too.  we need each other cuz as the boomers unload their zillions of books, its the comic businessmen who are going to land those collections and then be able to supply the collectors.  its a huge cycle in the comic collecting chain of life.  Hug a comic dealer today :grin:

3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

This is a good point, as comics have been and still are an integral part of my life.  I'm a borderline boomer (DOB 1961) who is retired.  I do need to winnow my collection down to something manageable before I cack, and unlike you, my  books are predominantly in HG.  I'm thinking of reducing my collection down to the titles I really loved as a kid (like Daredevil) over the next 20 or so years , and scanning and grading the rest, so that my heirs will have somewhere to start on the sell off that will should occur after I die.

I spent the first 7 month's of 2016 re-grading, cataloging and photographing 3400 raw books not just for me as a reference but because they are already divided and willed to my Son and Daughter with detailed instructions on handling, storing and selling their comics after I am gone.

I have already seen and read the threads on "why you should sell your collection when you age and not burden your family with having to get rid of your books after you are gone" and to me that is "stupid".

Why should I stop enjoying my comics that I spent so much time and effort over the last 38 years to accumulate just because I am getting older and will one day "cash out"?

9 minutes ago, Senormac said:

you are a collector, others...... so many others are businessmen and its all about profit, which is a good thing too.  we need each other cuz as the boomers unload their zillions of books, its the comic businessmen who are going to land those collections and then be able to supply the collectors.  its a huge cycle in the comic collecting chain of life.  Hug a comic dealer today :grin:

And my Daughter will be looking for you and others like you after I am gone, she see's my comics as $$$.

Edited by marvelmaniac

22 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

The reason I posted all of that is that many of my "older/early" books fall into the Poor .5 - Good 2.0 range and I am still proud to own them and have them as part of my collection.

Here a couple of examples...

Daredevil 1 FR 1.0.JPG

Fantastic Four 2 PR 0.5.JPG

Rawhide Kid 17  PR 0.5 - FR 1.0.JPG

I always define books like these in two words, "well loved"

29 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

I spent the first 7 month's of 2016 re-grading, cataloging and photographing 3400 raw books not just for me as a reference but because they are already divided and willed to my Son and Daughter with detailed instructions on handling, storing and selling their comics after I am gone.

I have already seen and read the threads on "why you should sell your collection when you age and not burden your family with having to get rid of your books after you are gone" and to me that is "stupid".

Why should I stop enjoying my comics that I spent so much time and effort over the last 38 years to accumulate just because I am getting older and will one day "cash out"?

For me it's a volume thing, that is somewhat of a burden to me right now. 

If I only had 3400 books, or even 10,000 books it might be a different story. 

Part of it is about storage space and sheer volume, and what you can realistically expect your heirs to put up with.

27 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

And my Daughter will be looking for you and others like you after I am gone, she see's my comics as $$$.

And this is exactly what I am afraid. I noticed the newer generations are looking at our beloved comics only for $$$.  I collected them as to enjoy reading and get my thrills as I travel with my favourite superheroes within the stories. The kids are missing out the true reason behind why we collect. 

I had in mind already put my books in the will. Since I do not have heirs, they will be going toward for a good purpose. That isn't happening for about 20-30 years later. Lots of time for me to enjoy my reading!

If our current economic system doesn't collapse comics will retain their value so long as the characters continue to be intellectual property.  Spiderman has about another 100 years or so of copyright protection to go.  Let's face it the rapid increase and demand for vintage comics increases when movies and television are made and the audience for comics is now WORLDWIDE.  Sure speculator bubbles will pop occasionally but that just makes prices more reasonable for true collectors.

24 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

And this is exactly what I am afraid. I noticed the newer generations are looking at our beloved comics only for $$$.  I collected them as to enjoy reading and get my thrills as I travel with my favourite superheroes within the stories. The kids are missing out the true reason behind why we collect. 

I had in mind already put my books in the will. Since I do not have heirs, they will be going toward for a good purpose. That isn't happening for about 20-30 years later. Lots of time for me to enjoy my reading!

If she does sell them hopefully they will be loved and enjoyed by new owners/collectors just as I have enjoyed having them.

The comics should/will outlive all of us and hopefully be enjoyed by future generations.

1 hour ago, marvelmaniac said:

heh heh ..... I'm not a dealer.  I just like the idea of lots of books coming to market and the prices coming down

3 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

If she does sell them hopefully they will be loved and enjoyed by new owners/collectors just as I have enjoyed having them.

The comics should/will outlive all of us and hopefully be enjoyed by future generations.

Who's "she" are you referring to? :baiting:xD

I don't get wrapped up in any of my hobbies or collectibles, i love my comics ,,,and my coins and other stuff but they are inanimate objects, thankfully they were also bought with discretionary income

so any return, even 1/5th of what i have into them is just a bonus.... no different than my love for golf which i actually spend more on than comics with zero monetary return.......

2 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I love this place. I swear to you, theres nothing more entertaining than this message board.

2 months ago, everything was drying up. This month everyones unloading :roflmao:

Haha i owe you a like , when they reload !! yes these threads are like Charlie Brown  - wishy washy ....................

6 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

I love this place. I swear to you, theres nothing more entertaining than this message board.

2 months ago, everything was drying up. This month everyones unloading :roflmao:

Just take a look at the upcoming CLINK auction.  There are a ton of cool books I haven't seen in a long while.  Even the Rifleman "carry your wood" book is up for bid !! 

14 minutes ago, Senormac said:

Just take a look at the upcoming CLINK auction.  There are a ton of cool books I haven't seen in a long while.  Even the Rifleman "carry your wood" book is up for bid !! 

Henny-cluckin' Chicken Littles....,  :eyeroll:

I know its been mentioned before in other threads, but the number of key books out there is way higher then some are lead to believe.

One of the biggest problems many new collectors and speculators don't realize is that even the key books are not as rare as they think.

Look at any key book besides mega key gold age and early silver age books. Anytime  rumors of a movie or TV show comes up the census goes nuts with copies of what ever character is going to be hot.

hulk 181, ASM 129 have more then doubled there total census counts in the last few years with no sign of stopping.

Villain keys are even worse, they never maintain there momentum long term, unless of course they are staples of the hobby. Joker, dr doom, green goblin etc..

I have lost count how many villain character books have gone from fire to ice within weeks, sometimes days after the movie or show is over.

I am still amazed that this trend continues with the thousands of people who have been burned by scenarios like this.

Many novice and even some savvy collectors who don't check census data are going to slowly realize one day how many of these "rare" books are actually out there.

Not to mention the thousands of raw copies out there that never get slabbed.