• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Label error & book returned damaged poor grade

32 posts in this topic

So this is how this went down.. first time putting my books in care of an authorized cgc dealer. The comic store does incentives from time to time and this batch was chosen to get a free pressing by ccs. I received my book today after nearly 4 months and received a 9.0 universal grade. Now here’s the info on the book. 

The book was an exclusive variant with the artists autograph on the front 1of 300. It was shipped to me in thick mylar. The book was absolutely pristine. No defects at all. Not even from the staples. No cover defects from machine cutting/folding etc etc. So hypothetically speaking if the book was damaged in shipping to cgc it should have been resolved with the pressing  right? I also want to add that it was shipped to cgc in the thick Mylar bag. So upon receipt of my book today with a 9.0 blue label that A) should have been green because it has a big silver signature and B) a 9.0!??? Upon inspection my book acquired a bend across the top corner. Like a dog ear. I looked at the cgc census 25 books with a 9.8 and my 9.0. Cgc claims to inspect the books twice but how was the signature missed 2x and the cover is a homage of 181 with intentional printed defects to appear worn. I have a feeling the “artificial” defects were graded as actual and the folded corner of the cover don’t even know what’s up there. 

I also want to note out of my 1000+ books this was my first experience ever getting books slabbed and I chose to go with the “best of the best”  ccs cgc

also want to note that my local rep is going to try and handle the situation the next business day but I figured I wanted to express my concerns on the official board

thanks

945B6396-8B68-41D5-A3CC-89AF850D146D.jpeg

B8D4B154-018F-48C4-8047-D24C322F02EF.jpeg

Let’s say this happened upon shipping to cgc...then why wasn’t the pressing services rendered that were paid for? And my local authorized cgc distributor packaged and shipped my books in their routine weekly send off to cgc. 

I didn’t send it in to be pressed. As noted above the LCS that submitted the books does incentives sometimes and this batch of books they chose to have pressed at no cost. I would have preferred to have my book back in the quoted 3 week turn time. And there is no color breaks. 

Edited by Navymr

With the vintage cover it's hard to see the damage you describe in the pictures.  Books do get damaged from time to time and if that is truly what happened then call cgc and discuss with them.  Also get the grading notes. Sometimes things turn up during grading that are not easily visible that affect the grade. Agree that it is probably not a blue label and that is an error.  

4 hours ago, Navymr said:

Let’s say this happened upon shipping to cgc...then why wasn’t the pressing services rendered that were paid for? And my local authorized cgc distributor packaged and shipped my books in their routine weekly send off to cgc. 

Right, "upon shipping to CGC." Evidently the LCS did a lousy packing job and your corner got bent along the way. How can CGC be responsible for that? 

Secondly, as noted above, a press would not fix the CBing folds on the corner you show above. I don't know if that book is printed like that or not, but I see CBing fold on the corner...

I would be more upset about the LCS's lousy pack job because the corner is not fixable, sending the slab back to get the right coloured label is...

17 hours ago, Patriot6 said:

Right, "upon shipping to CGC." Evidently the LCS did a lousy packing job and your corner got bent along the way. How can CGC be responsible for that? 

Secondly, as noted above, a press would not fix the CBing folds on the corner you show above. I don't know if that book is printed like that or not, but I see CBing fold on the corner...

I would be more upset about the LCS's lousy pack job because the corner is not fixable, sending the slab back to get the right coloured label is...

I know it’s hard to see in the photos but that “color break” you see is not an actual color break it was printed that way and the bend in the same corner I’m referring to actually doesn’t have a crease either just a slight bend. I think I have came to the conclusion of what happens and that’s my LCS screwed my book up either A) poor packing or B) prior to packing. Reason I believe this is my other book I sent in also has a corner bend of the same size. Not to mention why would the LcS call cgc and add on pressing from ccs. Unless cgc possibly notified my Lcs that the shipment was damaged. Not to mention my lcs said there was some mixup and ccs shipped the books back ungraded. So somewhere along These lines my books got screwed up. Maybe upon return shipping from ccs or back to cgc for grading. 

I don't understand what I'm looking at.

The book's artwork it supposed to make the corner look like this.

Heres a stock image of the corner of the book.

59a45e9b25ad8_ScreenShot2017-08-28at2_16_55PM.png.1a023f71da163b587f07c8c44f7ad59a.png

Your book was most likely down graded because of the unwitnessed signature.

Edit: Again just to be clear, the image I posted is not of your book. Its from Stadium Comics online store. (bettyVERONICAstadium_1024x1024.png?v=146)

Edited by Jimmy Linguini

30 minutes ago, Navymr said:

I know it’s hard to see in the photos but that “color break” you see is not an actual color break it was printed that way and the bend in the same corner I’m referring to actually doesn’t have a crease either just a slight bend. I think I have came to the conclusion of what happens and that’s my LCS screwed my book up either A) poor packing or B) prior to packing. Reason I believe this is my other book I sent in also has a corner bend of the same size. Not to mention why would the LcS call cgc and add on pressing from ccs. Unless cgc possibly notified my Lcs that the shipment was damaged. Not to mention my lcs said there was some mixup and ccs shipped the books back ungraded. So somewhere along These lines my books got screwed up. Maybe upon return shipping from ccs or back to cgc for grading. 

I see what you're saying. It's not a fold on the corner, but a bend. Strange, a press should have taken care of that (I'm no expert, but I think it should anyway). Perhaps the LCS owner elected to take the quick press route and it didn't fix it? 

Also, the fact that your other book has the same damage would essentially prove it was due to poor packaging/handling. 

In sum, number one on the 'who to blame' hierarchy should be the LCS.....

19 minutes ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

Your book was most likely down graded because of the unwitnessed signature.

Doesn't CGC note that on the label though? Something like "Jimmy Linguini written on the cover in ink" ?

1 minute ago, Patriot6 said:

I see what you're saying. It's not a fold on the corner, but a bend. Strange, a press should have taken care of that (I'm no expert, but I think it should anyway). Perhaps the LCS owner elected to take the quick press route and it didn't fix it? 

Also, the fact that your other book has the same damage would essentially prove it was due to poor packaging/handling. 

In sum, number one on the 'who to blame' hierarchy should be the LCS.....

Doesn't CGC note that on the label though? Something like "Jimmy Linguini written on the cover in ink" ?

No. Cgc's website says they only do that for green labels.
https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/label_description.asp

I believe they only do that for blue labels when the signature is on the first page.

Also can you post more pictures of the corner? Maybe a picture of the back cover? The damaged corner appears in the stock picture of the actual books so I'm pretty sure its in the printed art and not actual damage to the book.
Thanks

1 minute ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

I believe they only do that for blue labels when the signature is on the first page.

I see. So you're thinking a .8 downgrade for the sig? A little light no?

So .8 downgrade on the signature even though it technically should have been a green label? Was this from the way the lcs filed the paperwork or from cgc error? I tried 20 different angles to catch the bend from a side view it’s more noticeable 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

Also can you post more pictures of the corner? Maybe a picture of the back cover? The damaged corner appears in the stock picture of the actual books so I'm pretty sure its in the printed art and not actual damage to the book.
Thanks

No, if there's an unverified signature anywhere on the book it will *always* be noted on the label. Doesn't matter whether the books end up in a blue or green label slab.

Edited by mschmidt

I wanted to say thank you for the information from everyone that contributed. Looks like I’m going to be taking my concerns on what to do next up with the LCS here is a picture of my other book. The before picture isn’t very clear but there wasn’t a “bend” in the upper left corner like there is now. I really thought it would have came back a 9.0 9.2 but due to the bend with color break it resulted in 8.0 I also contact cgc and they pulled the invoice notice and the shipment was damaged  hence the reason why the “free” press and it was probably “quick pressed” meaning no steam and that’s why it never flattened out completely. 

532A9412-D8D1-4C06-B365-D9069B10584B.jpeg

F56AA667-8CC7-4BEE-89E8-E34651997022.jpeg

0A5F2D5A-9457-4E03-9030-F40FBEFEC3CF.jpeg

Just now, mschmidt said:

No, if there's an unverified signature anywhere on the book it will *always* be noted on the label. Doesn't matter whether the books up in a blue or green label slab.

Anyway, the graders notes for this book should clear up exactly what's causing it to be a 9.0 ...

There are no notes on either books I called cgc