• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Confidential- Is This Tomorrow Advance Copy
2 2

37 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, The-Collector said:

Awesome!! So then you just need to Australian edition and you have them all?

That is correct.  

Who knows. Perhaps a gracious board member who owns more than one of the Australian editions :wishluck:will give me the opportunity to acquire a copy! 

On 8/27/2017 at 9:09 AM, eccomic said:

After a decade of searching I unearthed a Cold War/Anti-Communist grail for my collection.

Published in 1947, this notorious Is This Tomorrow Advance Variant surfaced at Wizard World Chicago. Very rare with only 4 known copies in existence. Overstreet says "Contains --script and art edited out of the color edition, including one page of extreme violence showing [a] mob nailing a Cardinal to a door... the two black and white copies listed... surfaced in 1979 from the [Catechetical] Guild's old files in St. Paul, Minnesota." The message printed on the cover even states that the comic "contains a number of errors that we are now correcting." The cover message goes on to solicit suggestions regarding distribution as well as how to improve the content. And the back cover message is also tantalizing: it asks for ideas on what might be included in a planned future promotional comic with the working title This Is The Answer, which would have elaborated on the alternative to communism. See image of the colour version that had 4 million copies published.

IMG_5163.JPG

IMG_5167.JPG

IMG_5164.JPG

IMG_5166.JPG

IMG_5168.JPG

IMG_5171.JPG

IMG_5173.JPG

850215246_o.jpg

great find

Cool.  I was lucky enough to pick up a copy a while back.  Between the two of us, I think we may own a pretty good fraction of the extant copies of the scarce variants of this book.

The book is actually a good read.  A bit heavy handed, maybe, but more restrained and plausible than I would have expected, particularly in the context of the times.  May well explain why it was as popular as it was. 

16 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Cool.  I was lucky enough to pick up a copy a while back.  Between the two of us, I think we may own a pretty good fraction of the extant copies of the scarce variants of this book.

The book is actually a good read.  A bit heavy handed, maybe, but more restrained and plausible than I would have expected, particularly in the context of the times.  May well explain why it was as popular as it was. 

(thumbsu