• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] Original Owner Silver Age - the "M.R." Collection

119 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Welcome to a sales thread in which I will share an original owner silver age collection that I have worked for the last year to acquire. First, 

:rulez:

U.S. Only, shipping is actual. (If ya simply gotta have it, and you are an upstanding boardie who is O-U-S, PM me and we can discuss terms, costs, risk management re: international shipping vagaries, etc)

BUT, that said,  :takeit: in the thread trumps, time stamp rules.

Payment is Money Order or check. I'm sorry but I don't have Paypal and don't want one more e-thing in my life to manage.

Don't be a listy, shame-y sort (tsk)

Returns accepted; just notify me within three days of receipt and send it back on your dime, unless I missed something.

Next, a bit of background on this (I think) special offering, and then we will commence to the goat-roping, beginning tonight with Daredevil and some of the TTA books, at least. I will probably need several nights to offer everything; feel free to pile until I have announced all books are posted, or when you are done just PM me a shipping address and I'll get a real postage number back to you.

Edited Wednesday at 07:04 AM by Readcomix

Edited by Readcomix

Background:

I began discussions about a year ago with a retired gentleman from suburban Connecticut who was in possession of the remainder of his childhood comics, mostly purchased off the racks in Springfield, Mass. (The Atom, the only DC title in here, was a subscription that he had.) I have selected a few books I am keeping and am sharing the rest here. 

Most are generally in the shape that many an LCS would call VG; in many cases I'd agree and in others it's lower. A few are a little better. But most all of them present well; flat, clean and bright. About 10 years ago, the owner put them in comic bags. Each book is now in a Mylites2 with a board, which is how you will receive them.

The collection has two distinguishing characteristics on most of the books that gives this collection provenance: 1) prominent, clear date stamps placed in unobtrusive spots; and 2) the original owner's initials, "M.R.," in blue ink in the lower margin of the splash page.

The owner had other books than these; he donated several ASM's (#4 thru teens) and FF's (#12 thru 20's) to a charity auction in his twenties. If you encounter "M.R." Books such as these, they are from the same collection. I acquired everything he had left with a few exceptions: he kept Marvel Tales 1 and 2 and Sgt Fury annual 1 at his son's request; he could not locate his Atom #1 (donated back then?), and he kept a handful of high-grade "Combat," the silver age Dell war title. 

Over the next few days, you will see batches of Daredevil, Tales to Astonish, Tales of Suspense, Journey into Mystery, Strange Tales, the Atom (probably offered as one lot) and one Kid Colt. I hope you have fun; I'm happy to share some of it after a year of pursuit. Enjoy!

(Spoiler: he filled out but did not clip a coupon in TTA #65, which is how I know the collection was amassed in Springfield, Mass. This book will likely be offered, so at least one other collector will probably know the original owner's name, but I choose to respect his privacy here.)

Reserved for recap

SOLD

DD #2, 3, 8, 9, 18

TTA #51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 58, 59, 60, 61, 65, 69

Strange Tales #116, 117, 124, 125, 129, 130, 135

Tales of Suspense #54, 55, 58

STILL AVAILABLE:

Daredevil 6 - $30 GVG

Kid Colt 121 - $20 VG+

TTA 49 GD ($50); TTA 50 ($20), 56 ($10), 82 ($5) all GVG

The Atom (11-issue lot, various #2-21) -- $75 shipped for the lot; grades range poor to VG

Strange Tales 118, 120, 122 ($10 each); 131 all 4 GD; 133 FR/GD, 136 FR 1.0 ($5 each)

Journey into Mystery 102 VG ($100), 103 GD ($60)

Tales of Suspense 47 GD/GD+, 49 VG- ($60 each), 50 VG ($75), 51 GVG ($30), 53 VG- ($40), 65 GD- ($15), 61, 63, 64, 67 all GD- ($10 each)

Edited by Readcomix

Tales to Astonish #49. Flat and clean with nice date stamp but I'm calling it Good range due to Marvel chipping, slight tears in cover. 1st Giant-Man (actually tied chronologically with Avengers #2, but Giant-Man's origin is explained here. Reading Avengers #1 to #2 off the racks if you missed this must have been very confusing.) $50

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Tales to Astonish #51, going GVG Range again for very slight roll (evident from back) and top staple slightly pulling, though everything is attached. Great colors, Date stamp, placement and initials both nifty on this one. :news: SOLD! ($15)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Readcomix

Ok, taking a break for tonight. I will shoot for tomorrow evening for posting the rest of the TTA and getting into another title as well. Many TTA still to come, including #59 (1st Hulk in title, vs Giant-Man, and 1st mention of Hulk getting stronger as he gets madder.) There's also the first Glenn Talbot, the "new" Giant-Man, and a terrific Sub-Mariner/Iron Man slugfest, among others. Thanks for looking and see you tomorrow! 

13 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Tales to Astonish #51, going GVG Range again for very slight roll (evident from back) and top staple slightly pulling, though everything is attached. Great colors, Date stamp, placement and initials both nifty on this one. $15

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

:takeit: