• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] Original Owner Silver Age - the "M.R." Collection

119 posts in this topic

I see some of my pix are blurrier than I realized. If you need a re-shoot on anything, just ask.

FUN FACT: The original owner who sold me these books said Giant-Man was his favorite growing up, and he was disappointed that Marvel was not able to make more of him. This is completely unimportant on the one hand, but on the other it's cool as all h-e-double hockey sticks to know, and I wish there was a data repository somewhere with this sort of stuff about original owners. I wonder what Edgar Church thought was the coolest thing coming off the racks in the '40's?

Okay, key time...Tales to Astonish #59 VG. First Hulk in title, first mention of Hulk getting stronger as he gets madder. Classic Marvel slugfest vs Giant-Man. Just look at that date stamp! :cloud9:  :news: SOLD! ($50)

Seriously, this is one I will miss as I love my copy and this one is nicer, but I read it too often to keep ia nice one, and I can't keep everything from this batch.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Readcomix

Tales to Astonish #65 GVG the new Giant-Man, with art by Bob Powell inked by Don Heck. :news: SOLD! ($15)

Extra cool fact: the original owner filled out but did not clip the coupon on the Mighty Marvel Marching Society ad page, which is how I determined the collection was amassed in Springfield, Mass. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Readcomix

Tales to Astonish #82 GVG $5

Great Iron Man vs Subby slugfest. (If you've never read this, it's jarring in a cool way. First two pages drawn by Gene Colan, the rest by Kirby, because Colan got sick. Different as night and day; reminds me of the first time I heard the Traveling Wilburys, with vocals transitioning from Roy Orbison to Bob Dylan and Tom Petty.)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

5 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Okay, key time...Tales to Astonish #59 VG. First Hulk in title, first mention of Hulk getting stronger as he gets madder. Classic Marvel slugfest vs Giant-Man. Just look at that date stamp! :cloud9: $50

Seriously, this is one I will miss as I love my copy and this one is nicer, but I read it too often to keep ia nice one, and I can't keep everything from this batch.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

:takeit: