• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poll: Age of People Who Collect GA or want to collect GA
2 2

Poll: Age of People Who Collect GA  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: Age of People Who Collect GA

• 18-25
    • 26-33
    • 34-41
    • 42-49
    • 50-57
    • 58-65
    • 65-80

43 posts in this topic

Now if this was the old days the board snarks would have raked you thru the coals for 5 pages over that! lol

2 hours ago, nocutename said:

I read my comics too even the GA ones I pick up on the rare occasion they are affordable.  I feel like most of the collectors on the GA section have been collecting when GA were more attainable.    Seeing what I cannot ever accomplish doesn't make me want to hang around the GA forum.  I don't mind the question here but honestly, not sure where it is going.  We did have a young under 18 board member here that collected GA books.  I will not go into his tragic ending here.  Honestly, it is financially attainable for the select few at this day and age..  That is how I feel. 

Some GA romance and funny animal are dirt cheap.............

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I know of a 12 year old boy that recently discovered EC's and pre-code horror. He mostly has reprints but I gave him a couple of beater originals. Unless some greedy dealer or collector spoils it for him, I can see him around for a while. He even reads Stephen King and Ray Bradbury.

I didn't let my kids read GA until they were at least 21 - they're not code approved. (tsk)

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I know of a 12 year old boy that recently discovered EC's and pre-code horror. He mostly has reprints but I gave him a couple of beater originals. Unless some greedy dealer or collector spoils it for him, I can see him around for a while. He even reads Stephen King and Ray Bradbury.

Loved Bradbury short stories as a young teenager!

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

EC comics adapted quite a few Ray Bradbury stories.

2 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Yep looks like the majority are in the 50-57 age group like me.... i bought my first comic off the neighborhood spinner rack... an ASM 101 double size issue for a quarter !!!

Yup.  Fond memories of picking up my DC 100 pagers for 15 pence each.  Great value.

A pound went a long way back then.

9 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Some GA romance and funny animal are dirt cheap.............

I don't care for funny animals.  I would not spend the money on those type of books.  I used to collect romance book.  I found that I enjoyed the BA ones the best though.  These days, if I collect anything it is DC comics.  Those GAs are out of my price range. 

3 hours ago, nocutename said:

I don't care for funny animals.  I would not spend the money on those type of books.  I used to collect romance book.  I found that I enjoyed the BA ones the best though.  These days, if I collect anything it is DC comics.  Those GAs are out of my price range. 

The belief that GA books are out of your price range is probably not true. I buy cool books very cheap all the time. High grade, iconic characters, early stuff yes, maybe. You just got to lower your expectations a little. And some funny animal and romance books are cooler than you might think.

44 here, I would collect more GA but the prices are getting a bit on the high side. The only run GA run I have been pursuing is GA Superman. But I would also collect Action, Detective, Batman and other GA DC properties if the prices were a bit softer. I may also put a Captain Marvel Adventures (vs. Monster Society of Evil) run together at some point. Wish I had bought GA stuff back in the late 80s and 90s...but I just wasn't into that era back then. I do actually read my books as well.

Edited by FutureFlash

40 something now, but I was 11 or 12 when I got into old comics in the late 80s, back when you could still find stuff in junk shops and flea markets for hardly anything, I became obsessed with finding any old comics I could. I was a weird kid obsessing over 40s and 50s comics and antique bottles and tin toys. I don't get why everyone says golden age stuff is so expensive and so difficult to get, but then they mean the popular superhero stuff that everyone wants and high condition stuff to seal up in plastic I guess. Sure it's more expensive now than when I was a kid finding Batman #23 for a buck and piles of 30s and 40s pulps and comics for a few bucks, but ebay is overflowing with tons of relatively cheap old comics, but then I guess no one is interested in anything unless its the few ones that go for thousands and that's why ebay is overflowing with so much. But then I pretty much like any old comic, so it's all good to me.

9 minutes ago, catman76 said:

but then they mean the popular superhero stuff that everyone wants and high condition stuff to seal up in plastic

Scantily clad women comics, sci fi and horror are also at the top of the list and very expensive.

Perhaps I'm a bit of an outlier here as a 24yo female lol, but a friend of mine who collects GA and showed me how darn COOL they are and I fell in love. Started my collection with some Planet comics! I am a collector by nature, runs in the family. My grandpa was a big collector of many things. I started with rocks, knick knacks, books. Records and golden age books are new collections for me as of about 2 years ago, but I feel I've made some good progress!  I've enjoyed learning about value&grading, and found some SUPER neat covers here on the boards.  :bigsmile:

10 hours ago, Red84 said:

33 here.

Collecting comics for about 5 years.  Collecting only GA for about 2-3 years.

Judging by your sig line, I'd say you've done pretty well over the past few years.  Superman 14 is a friend of mine's grail.  Big Superman collector.  He'd like one in the 5.0 range, but truth be told he'd settle for a solid low grade in a heartbeat.  Awesome books!

5 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Judging by your sig line, I'd say you've done pretty well over the past few years.  Superman 14 is a friend of mine's grail.  Big Superman collector.  He'd like one in the 5.0 range, but truth be told he'd settle for a solid low grade in a heartbeat.  Awesome books!

Superman 14 is my favorite.  Just picked up a low grade one at WW Chicago this past weekend. :)