• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] Captain Atom 1-45 Auction for Charity! Ends 8/31 11pm Eastern!

13 posts in this topic

BACKGROUND

So, as many of you know, my parked car was involved in a hit and run.  I held a contest in CG to see if anyone could guess the repair estimate or the salvage value (pretty fun thread, check the link below).

Autobody Appraisal Contest!!

HEMIGTX of Minnesota guessed EXACTLY RIGHT :whatthe: and was awarded the prize of a Captain Atom run (1-45).  He has graciously asked me to donate the comics to a children's charity.  So I'm having an auction here, and the proceeds will go directly to the Valley Children's Hospital in Fresno, CA, my hometown.  I was treated for asthma issues multiple times in my youth at that hospital, and it serves a large metro area and rural areas surrounding the city. 

:rulez: Please read the rules carefully.

Bidding Increments must be whole dollar amounts.

Donations should be made directly to the Valley Children's Hospital, see link below

Donate Money to Valley Children's Hospital

Please send me a picture or copy of the receipt after you donate, and then I will send you the comics.

I WILL ALSO ADDITIONALLY DONATE 50% of whatever the winning bid is, unless someone hits the BIN, in which case I will MATCH 100% for a donation.

Auction Ends at 11pm Eastern on Thursday, August 31, 2017.  So whatever the highest bid is when the clock strikes 11, that's the winner.

Shipping is FREE in the US.  If you are international, you must send me shipping money via paypal IN ADDITION to the donation you make to the hospital.

If you have questions about individual issues, let me know and I'll do my best (well maybe not my best, but I'll make an effort) to answer.

No Returns

DO NOT EDIT YOUR BID POSTS.

Comics

Starting Minimum Bid: $1,   Minimum Bid Increment: $1,    Buy-it-Now Price: $150

Captain Atom 1-45 VF/NM avg (more better than worse)

IMG_8620.jpg

IMG_8619.jpg

Also, I'll add other random comics to fill up the box if there's room.

Also, if you JUST want to donate independent of the comics, you may do so here:

Valley Children's Donation Link

Ok this might not have been the best time post a non-flood charity.... but I'd still like to help the kids.

It occurs  to me, that among other issues with timing, I haven't really tried to 'sell' anyone on these comics.  Well I can tell you that if you're tired of where Marvel and DC are now, this comic is more in the vein of the darker more innovative DC stuff of the 80's like Watchmen or V for Vendetta, though admittedly not as good and a little more 'superhero'.  But they touch on a lot of themes about morality, humanity, government overreach and oversight, family, the use and abuse of power, the ethics of military action domestically and internationally, etc.  Its not always done perfectly, but it was pretty innovative for the time, and actually had some shades of 'Robocop'.  What I appreciated about this run is that they really allowed the creators to take the time to build the story with purposes other than selling out each issue with flash (to the extent possible).  The art feels appropriate without being spectacular, with the highlight generally being the coloring more than the other aspects. 

Its a good (but not necessarily great) and thoughtful read, and interesting to see that a lot of the same questions and concerns about society still exist today.

So I'd encourage you to give it a chance.  At worst, you get to spend a few nights actually reading a non-fluff actual physical comic AND donate to a good cause.

Bump

suction ends tomorrow!

If you happen to win this auction, as an added bonus you can get free shipping for my TPB sale 

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/421065-tpbs-gns-mostly-1-and-a-few-rarernicer-ones/

:takeit: for $150 .I spent most of this months money on bills and such but on Oct 15th I will be send the money to Taver ,I was in the Lewiston ,Ny hospital for asthma in my childhood so this charity is something that really seems important and not just because I am getting something. I learned how to read through comics I got from being in the hospital as a get well gift. I would like to hope that might happen to a kid at the Valley Children's Hospital which Taver went to.

16 minutes ago, comicsyte95 said:

:takeit: for $150 .I spent most of this months money on bills and such but on Oct 15th I will be send the money to Taver ,I was in the Lewiston ,Ny hospital for asthma in my childhood so this charity is something that really seems important and not just because I am getting something. I learned how to read through comics I got from being in the hospital as a get well gift. I would like to hope that might happen to a kid at the Valley Children's Hospital which Taver went to.

Excellent! I will match this donation 100% so the hospital will get $300 total.

thanks for playing. 

If anyone still feels like giving, there are links in the first post.  

Another big thanks to all the players, and especially the winner, Comicsyte95!

As a result of this auction, another generous, anonymous boardie has donated a couple slabs and asked me to hold a similar charity auction with the money going to the same cause.  That will begin later today (FRIDAY), so please keep an eye out for that.

Wherever you are, take care of yourself, and take care of one another.