• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

At a 3-day con, do dealers wait until Saturday to bring out their full/best stock?
1 1

49 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

If you are worried about missing out on the better dealer stock, the best stuff is already gone by the time the convention starts. Dealers buying from dealers on setup day.

So true.

Just now, oakman29 said:

So true.

I'm beginning to think some dealers are more there for the buying, not the selling.  If a dealer arrives at a con with decent inventory or a new collection that's priced to sell, it's gone by the time the convention starts, picked clean by other dealers. Not all dealers are like this but there enough of the usual suspects that roam the floor on setup day taking all the good stuff. In their defense, dealers that attend all the major cons need to replenish their stock and do so from buying other dealers stock. It's part of the business model for the busy dealer. Note I'm not complaining, just saying that's what happens. 

18 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I'm beginning to think some dealers are more there for the buying, not the selling.  If a dealer arrives at a con with decent inventory or a new collection that's priced to sell, it's gone by the time the convention starts, picked clean by other dealers. Not all dealers are like this but there enough of the usual suspects that roam the floor on setup day taking all the good stuff. In their defense, dealers that attend all the major cons need to replenish their stock and do so from buying other dealers stock. It's part of the business model for the busy dealer. Note I'm not complaining, just saying that's what happens. 

flippers flipping to flippers, effectively keeping the collector out of the market!  :banana:  Yay team!

7 hours ago, lizards2 said:

flippers flipping to flippers, effectively keeping the collector out of the market!  :banana:  Yay team!

HAHAHAHAHA!!! very true though, I would think set up day is a clean sweep of the best inventory from sellers. "Dealers gotta do what dealers gotta do". Also, it is probably a good idea to get to know some of the sellers at different cons so that you can get an "in" on getting the best stuff first.

Setting up at a Con is tough enough I can't imagine anyone wanting to do it again Saturday morning.  It all gets put out on set-up day and taken away on Sunday like clock work (other then key books which usually get taken every night and brought every morning)

this past weekend it went like this for me - as with most conventions -

• Thursday -during set-up and preview night - spent 35% of my budget on better books
  • Friday - spent maybe 20% on stuff I missed on Thursday
  • Saturday - 10% on a few books while just hanging out
  • Sunday - spent the remaining 35% on marked down material that dealers wanted to move

overall I was happy --- didn't really notice anything being held back except cheaper bulk stuff - to fill in boxes after selling --

Edited by Mike Bray

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

Setting up at a Con is tough enough I can't imagine anyone wanting to do it again Saturday morning.  It all gets put out on set-up day and taken away on Sunday like clock work (other then key books which usually get taken every night and brought every morning)

I agree.  Someone recently emailed me asking if I would be interested in doing a table at a show.  Not for me. However, I have a healthy respect for those that do. 

11 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

If you are worried about missing out on the better dealer stock, the best stuff is already gone by the time the convention starts. Dealers buying from dealers on setup day.

Yeah this is starting to really irk me as well.  I hadn't felt the impact until the last few shows I attended (SDCC, Heroes,) where several smaller dealers informed me they had what I was looking for but the comics sold to other dealers as they were setting up before the doors even opened.  When I sought to locate and try and purchase from the other dealers, they either couldn't always recall who they sold what to and the ones they could I found they had it for jacked up prices (2-3x original price) or just weren't selling it.  The whole point for me going to cons is to get access to dealer stock that doesn't exist in my area and the whole point of buying the early entry pass, VIP pass, or 3-day passes used to be to get access to the freshest dealer stock before the masses have a chance to pick the new stock clean but it seems that happens long before the first con attendee (without a dealer pass) gets in the door.  Is this why many folks on here look for dealer passes to buy?

It makes sense and I can understand why it is done (a dealer is there to sell books and make money regardless of who or when they sell it and other dealers are always hunting for fresh stock).  But this creates 2 markets at the con which often puts the con goers at a great disadvantage in 2 ways. 

1. What sucks about that for us regular attendees or even VIP pass schmucks who've paid more to get that early access (which now I realize is just a joke) is that we now have to pay the flipper markup on items that could have been sold by the original dealer to us for more than what he sold it to a dealer for or we have to choose not buy it at all if the price has been marked up too much.

2. Even worse: some dealers (or dealer pass holders?) who poach the stock never put that stock back up for sale at the con.  It is either for their personal collection, sent in for grading, set aside for appreciation, or just forgotten/never processed in time to be sold at the con.

Sucks when you have to compete with other dealers for your collection every step of the way.  I think I fully understand Oakman's initial reply to this thread.  Maybe I should start stalking all the attending dealers the 2-3 days leading up to the con to see what they are bringing and start negotiating a sale before they even make it to the parking lot.

But I am happy to hear that dealers are not holding anything back on day 1 so if it hasn't already been picked over before the doors open, it'll be there friday. :wishluck:

So is anyone selling a dealer pass for Baltimore ComicCon? hm

11 minutes ago, justafan said:

Yeah this is starting to really irk me as well.  I hadn't felt the impact until the last few shows I attended (SDCC, Heroes,) where several smaller dealers informed me they had what I was looking for but the comics sold to other dealers as they were setting up before the doors even opened.  When I sought to locate and try and purchase from the other dealers, they either couldn't always recall who they sold what to and the ones they could I found they had it for jacked up prices (2-3x original price) or just weren't selling it.  The whole point for me going to cons is to get access to dealer stock that doesn't exist in my area and the whole point of buying the early entry pass, VIP pass, or 3-day passes used to be to get access to the freshest dealer stock before the masses have a chance to pick the new stock clean but it seems that happens long before the first con attendee (without a dealer pass) gets in the door.  Is this why many folks on here look for dealer passes to buy?

It makes sense and I can understand why it is done (a dealer is there to sell books and make money regardless of who or when they sell it and other dealers are always hunting for fresh stock).  But this creates 2 markets at the con which often puts the con goers at a great disadvantage in 2 ways. 

1. What sucks about that for us regular attendees or even VIP pass schmucks who've paid more to get that early access (which now I realize is just a joke) is that we now have to pay the flipper markup on items that could have been sold by the original dealer to us for more than what he sold it to a dealer for or we have to choose not buy it at all if the price has been marked up too much.

2. Even worse: some dealers (or dealer pass holders?) who poach the stock never put that stock back up for sale at the con.  It is either for their personal collection, sent in for grading, set aside for appreciation, or just forgotten/never processed in time to be sold at the con.

Sucks when you have to compete with other dealers for your collection every step of the way.  I think I fully understand Oakman's initial reply to this thread.  Maybe I should start stalking all the attending dealers the 2-3 days leading up to the con to see what they are bringing and start negotiating a sale before they even make it to the parking lot.

But I am happy to hear that dealers are not holding anything back on day 1 so if it hasn't already been picked over before the doors open, it'll be there friday. :wishluck:

Buying and selling between dealers before the show opens is normal and part of the restock process.  One dealer is willing to sell at a discount - sometimes not a big discount - to another dealer to get a guaranteed sale.  Dealers tend to give deals to other dealers especially if they have a friendly relationship that they probably wouldn't give a buyer like yourself who they don't know as well.

Some dealers may give or sell you a pass but that can become a problem for the dealer.  Some shows are cracking down on dealer passes, threatening to ban the dealer if they abuse dealer passes.   Anyone who gets a dealer pass is a representative of the dealer and the dealer is on the hook for any problems created by the dealer pass holder.  Mike Carbonaro recently got into trouble after someone holding one of his passes was arrested for stealing from another booth during tear down.

We've given out dealer passes in the past in return for help setting up or tearing down our booth and in most cases the 'help' shows up after the show begins and leaves before the show ends.  If you know a dealer and you're willing to actually help them setup or tear down that's your best bet because most dealers appreciate help during those times and they can legitimately say you helped in their booth.

22 minutes ago, justafan said:

A dealer pass will help but realize that alone is no guarantee. The competition will still be there so you will have to work hard and need a little luck. In Chicago, I picked my dealer friend (who got me a pass) at the airport. We had lunch, I dropped him off at the convention center and proceeded to park my car. By the time I got in he was picked !

Some dealers, will simply not sell or even open up their boxes until the actual start of the con. While annoying, it is more fair.

No sense complaining, it's all fair game. Yes, as an average attendee, you will often be paying flipper prices. It is what it is. (shrug)

1 minute ago, thehumantorch said:

Buying and selling between dealers before the show opens is normal and part of the restock process.  One dealer is willing to sell at a discount - sometimes not a big discount - to another dealer to get a guaranteed sale.  Dealers tend to give deals to other dealers especially if they have a friendly relationship that they probably wouldn't give a buyer like yourself who they don't know as well.

Some dealers may give or sell you a pass but that can become a problem for the dealer.  Some shows are cracking down on dealer passes, threatening to ban the dealer if they abuse dealer passes.   Anyone who gets a dealer pass is a representative of the dealer and the dealer is on the hook for any problems created by the dealer pass holder.  Mike Carbonaro recently got into trouble after someone holding one of his passes was arrested for stealing from another booth during tear down.

We've given out dealer passes in the past in return for help setting up or tearing down our booth and in most cases the 'help' shows up after the show begins and leaves before the show ends.  If you know a dealer and you're willing to actually help them setup or tear down that's your best bet because most dealers appreciate help during those times and they can legitimately say you helped in their booth.

I totally agree with this and I totally understand the implications and rationale behind dealer passes for help and the crackdown on the abuse.  Besides, I'm not actually looking for the "Dealer Discount".  I just want the opportunity to buy it from the original attending dealer at his regular or slightly negotiated price.

Also, if I were given the opportunity to obtain a dealer pass I would honor the responsibility of the "help" part both before, during, and after the show.  I would just have to decide if I was capable of being able to adequately provide the assistance required before accepting to purchase the pass.  It seems like a jerk move to bail on something like that.

It would, however, be nice to be able to actually compete and tell the original dealer that I'd be willing to pay their original price or less of a discounted price than what another dealer is offering.

7 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

A dealer pass will help but realize that alone is no guarantee. The competition will still be there so you will have to work hard and need a little luck. In Chicago, I picked my dealer friend (who got me a pass) at the airport. We had lunch, I dropped him off at the convention center and proceeded to park my car. By the time I got in he was picked !

Some dealers, will simply not sell or even open up their boxes until the actual start of the con. While annoying, it is more fair.

No sense complaining, it's all fair game. Yes, as an average attendee, you will often be paying flipper prices. It is what it is. (shrug)

LOL!  Dang that sounds crazy!  There must be a piranha feeding frenzy that happens during dealer setup.  It must be quite a site to see.  The hunter dealers must be watching the the loading docks and entrances like hawks for each new dealer prey that arrives and pounce on them.  As a rookie dealer you'd probably have to endure some relentless offers and assaults before you even made it to your booth.

Yeah, maybe I'll just email all the dealers my want list with condition and offer prices and make some pre-con purchases.  At worst, the dealers can start with that as the floor and fend off lowball offers from other dealers.  Guess I'll be attending Baltimore flipper con on Friday and Sunday only hoping to buy at 1st flipped prices.

50 minutes ago, justafan said:

I totally agree with this and I totally understand the implications and rationale behind dealer passes for help and the crackdown on the abuse.  Besides, I'm not actually looking for the "Dealer Discount".  I just want the opportunity to buy it from the original attending dealer at his regular or slightly negotiated price.

Also, if I were given the opportunity to obtain a dealer pass I would honor the responsibility of the "help" part both before, during, and after the show.  I would just have to decide if I was capable of being able to adequately provide the assistance required before accepting to purchase the pass.  It seems like a jerk move to bail on something like that.

It would, however, be nice to be able to actually compete and tell the original dealer that I'd be willing to pay their original price or less of a discounted price than what another dealer is offering.

It depends on the dealer, I guess. I am just a part-time dealer/collector so my strategy at shows is simple - I do not bring my best stuff on setup day. I would rather blow out the lower grade undercopies/multiples and easy to replace books with other dealers that are looking to pick up inventory for cheap pre-show. Basically, I just bring the stuff that I am willing to give a decent discount on (all dealers/collectors on dealer passes want the "dealer" discount) and generate pre-show sales. Why sell your best stuff at a discount when you can get a better price during the show? Or even better, sell the good stuff at a discount to a collector that is/will become a long term customer? Now, if I did this for a living I would likely take a different approach, but as a collector/dealer I do not mind holding onto the best stuff.

As far as buying, I am usually too busy setting up and pricing stuff out to have much time for it pre-show (I need to be more organized in advance, I guess lol ) since I do not usually have help with me and I also try to stick to my rule that I can only buy with funds I make at the show. I know this means that I miss out on some great deals, but so be it. 

Edited by kimik

5 hours ago, Mike Bray said:

this past weekend it went like this for me - as with most conventions -

• Thursday -during set-up and preview night - spent 35% of my budget on better books
  • Friday - spent maybe 20% on stuff I missed on Thursday
  • Saturday - 10% on a few books while just hanging out
  • Sunday - spent the remaining 35% on marked down material that dealers wanted to move

overall I was happy --- didn't really notice anything being held back except cheaper bulk stuff - to fill in boxes after selling --

Mike!

I picked up a stack of GA from you in Jackson a few weeks ago, including that Web of Mystery with what looked like water damage on the cover.  Pressed out perfectly, thanks again! :hi: 

2 hours ago, justafan said:

LOL!  Dang that sounds crazy!  There must be a piranha feeding frenzy that happens during dealer setup.  It must be quite a site to see.  The hunter dealers must be watching the the loading docks and entrances like hawks for each new dealer prey that arrives and pounce on them.  As a rookie dealer you'd probably have to endure some relentless offers and assaults before you even made it to your booth.

Yeah, maybe I'll just email all the dealers my want list with condition and offer prices and make some pre-con purchases.  At worst, the dealers can start with that as the floor and fend off lowball offers from other dealers.  Guess I'll be attending Baltimore flipper con on Friday and Sunday only hoping to buy at 1st flipped prices.

I don't think it's crazy all the time, it's a lot of people going from booth to booth and sometimes there 3 or 4 guys, but most of the time if there are too many, you move on to some one else so you can be first there.  I will say I think that if dealers can sell retail to a retail customer they'd rather do it.  With that said, many dealers won't go and pull stuff from the "new inventory".  If you buy a bunch from dealers at retail, you will work your way into getting "first shot" as you prove you are a serious buyer.  Sometimes that means "overpaying" so that you can be first or thought of by the dealer to be first when new material comes in.  

The reason why when a book is bought by another dealer it isn't always for sale is that many dealers want to process it, look at it carefully see if it needs to be graded etc.  Many don't want to mis price it again or just quickly flip it to someone else.  

Want lists are a good idea -- they are absolutely a vehicle to getting what you want and being offered it early.