• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jack would have been 100 today! What's your favorite King-related OA?

47 posts in this topic

I know most Kirby fans favor his superhero work. While he did great work in that genre, I am a Simon & Kirby fan and (in my opinion) their best work was not superheroes. That said I have trouble selecting what from my collection I would consider best. But I think I would go with this pin-up from Police Trap #2.

PoliceTrap2PinUp.jpg

2 hours ago, hmendryk said:

I know most Kirby fans favor his superhero work. While he did great work in that genre, I am a Simon & Kirby fan and (in my opinion) their best work was not superheroes. That said I have trouble selecting what from my collection I would consider best. But I think I would go with this pin-up from Police Trap #2.

PoliceTrap2PinUp.jpg

I remember that piece being offered in the Jack Kirby Collector magazine; did you get it from there? If so, I hope you also bought lots of the other great stuff back at those prices!

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 2:05 AM, BitterOldMan said:

Avengers 6 with inking by Chic Stone.  Not my favorite Kirby page, but only page I own.  

IMG_0384.thumb.JPG.2f3e0a78e52900bcbc6a8e47ca910e70.JPG

Avengers # 6 was the first comic from that title that I read.  Terrific storyline and I love Chic Stone's inking style which gave Kirby's art great clarity.  Great shot of Iron man in panel 5.

1 minute ago, artdealer said:

Just my opinion. You are entitled to yours.

Thx! I've certainly puzzled on it based on many discussions and the OSPG claims, but it seems to me the Boys Ranch work A) looks consistent through all 6 issues and B) looks a whole lot less like either Mort Meskin or Jerry Robinson, who are the names often mentioned as doing finishes on the series. I think we had this discussion in another thread; I need to take the damn thing off the wall and bring it along next time I visit Joe Sinnott; I've collected plenty of knowledgeable opinions (yours included) but getting his can't hurt.

Regardless, I posted it here to celebrate Kirby's 100th, and Boys' Ranch is a cool Kirby creation; cheers to the King and thank you for all you left us!

2 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Thx! I've certainly puzzled on it based on many discussions and the OSPG claims, but it seems to me the Boys Ranch work A) looks consistent through all 6 issues and B) looks a whole lot less like either Mort Meskin or Jerry Robinson, who are the names often mentioned as doing finishes on the series. I think we had this discussion in another thread; I need to take the damn thing off the wall and bring it along next time I visit Joe Sinnott; I've collected plenty of knowledgeable opinions (yours included) but getting his can't hurt.

Regardless, I posted it here to celebrate Kirby's 100th, and Boys' Ranch is a cool Kirby creation; cheers to the King and thank you for all you left us!

What is OSPG?