• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MF73 CGC 9.4 Mile High
3 3

150 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

The Church copy of Adventure 40 was not quite so fortunate as it had the dreaded PLOD label...

Same with the Church copy of Green Lantern 1, which Anderson sold to a vision-impaired collector (Joe Smejkal) as 'completely unrestored'. I spoke to Smejkal at SDCC one year, and he was devastated when the book returned a PLOD (Bedrock knows the story better than me as he was good friends with Joe).

As a side-note, Smejkal was one of the first guys to offer Hawkeye books - I purchased several really nice items from him. Unfortunately, he has since passed away.

Edited by sacentaur

1 minute ago, sacentaur said:

As a side-note, Smejkal was on of the first guys to offer Hawkeye books - I purchased several really nice items from him. Unfortunately, he has since passed away.

Yes, Smejkal was definitely a very passionate collector and a very nice person who knew a lot about the books.  (thumbsu

I remembered sitting next to him at one of the SDCC dinners back in the mid-90's which hosted the DC GA greats.  Very friendly and told me a lot about the Hawkeye's and the Larson's.  He really perked up when I told him that I had a few of the Hawkeye's in my own personal collection.  :luhv:

Extremely sad to hear that he has passed away as I was not aware of this.  :frown:

16 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

+1

Would definitely agree with both of you on your points here.  (thumbsu

Still remember Borock's former Church copy of MF 52 with similar notes which managed to sell for over guide at the time even though it had similar notes since came with the universal blue label.  The Church copy of Adventure 40 was not quite so fortunate as it had the dreaded PLOD label with similar notes and hence was only able to sell for a huge discount to guide after quite a few unsuccessful attempts at selling the book.

The asking price of $1.5M is definitely nowhere near current reality given the glue and color touch plus the fact that it is a much later books in comparison to the other big DC keys. 

It's not quite an apples-to-apples comparison given that one is the Church copy, but given that the 9.4 AS8 didn't even break $1M, I'm not sure how anyone could realistically expect this book to go for more.  

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

He really perked up when I told him that I had a few of the Hawkeye's in my own personal collection.  :luhv:

Me too. :)

Some of those Hawkeyes were swapped to Anderson, and unfortunately some of us know what happened to them. :mad:

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

The resto work that is noted on the label will definitely tame the price. I would not resubmit this book.  First off, even if it got a 9.6, it won't help the valuation. It's still the Single Highest graded at 9.4 or 9.6 . I would also not risk a change of position on the resto work to a Purple Label.  The risk/reward is not there. Very pretty book ! Shame some insufficiently_thoughtful_person worked on it.

I wonder who monkey'ed with this book?

price: pure folly imho...

AS 8 came out 12/41-1/42.  MF 73 came out a month earlier in 11/41.  So rarity should be about the same, and I think the census supports that.

Neither AS 8 nor MF 73 have the debuting heroes on the cover.

Which leaves the question of the popularity of the respective debuting heroes.  Right now, Green Arrow is currently a well-established TV character, having been a supporting character in Smallville and a wildly popular character in the Arrow-verse shows.  WW hasn't been on tv in more than 30 years and, even then, on a show of less significance and popularity than the Arrow.  But, WW does have a good run starting in the movies.  So they presently seem about equivalent in popularity.

Everyone views WW as one of the big three.  And on my personal list of DC character popularity during the GA, she's a Tier 1 character (with Superman, Batman, and Robin). 

But, Green Arrow is an interesting case. He first appears in More Fun 73 (Nov. 41) and four issues later has knocked Spectre and Doctor Fate off of the cover rotation of More Fun (Spectre got 14 covers and Fate only 11). Green Arrow then has a run of 23 covers on More Fun. So Green Arrow was more popular than both Spectre and Doctor Fate because he displaced them in More Fun and had more covers.  Admittedly, Spectre and Fate had some time on the JSA, but they got booted halfway through the run (No. 24). And Green Arrow had a 14 issue run with the cover featured Seven Soldiers in Leading Comics.

Green Arrow remained in continuous publication from his first appearance through until the Silver Age. Only Superman, Batman/Robin, Wonder Woman, Superboy and, I think one other character can make that claim. So viewed historically, on the ultimate measure of popularity, Green Arrow is just one step below the Big Three and above every other DC GA hero. And on the present measure of popularity, the tv show suggests he also is way above most other DC GA heroes.

And, of course, MF 73 also features the origin and first appearance of Aquaman.  A minor back-up character in the GA, but also, I believe, one of the few characters that stayed in continuous or close to continuous publication from his first appearance through the 50s.  And Aquaman is now JLA movie.

Taken together, I think a decent argument can be made that MF 73 is a very equivalent book to AS 8.  Arrow fans will rate it higher. 

Edited by sfcityduck

29 minutes ago, Bronty said:

What do you guys think is realistic in today's market?    About half the AS8?

The seller previously was benchmarking the book at 25% of an Action 1.  Which gets you to about $750K, using the highest price paid for an Action 1 as the reference.   That would be a 10x return for the seller. 

I could see 750, on a very lucky auction day, with no color touch and glue (and 500-600 on a less lucky day).    With the CT and glue, I see it as sub 500 as-is, and maybe even sub 400.

We can debate the place of each character in the pantheon but I think WW is just bigger ATM.    

Edited by Bronty

the seller's math I think is:   "secure the book today at 2020 pricing, or Ill keep and and you can buy it in 2020 for this same price ... or more... or possibly lose it to someone willing to step up."

its aggressive sure, and relies on Jason Momoa and DC/WB nailing it (not a given by any means) and this wild market for the HG copies of the big keys continuing its rise.... but hey, its his book.  Shame he was such a goof here on the boards. Re-reading his posts does make me think maybe I could be off base on this.   

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

AS 8 came out 12/41-1/42.  MF 73 came out a month earlier in 11/41.  So rarity should be about the same, and I think the census supports that.

Neither AS 8 nor MF 73 have the debuting heroes on the cover.

Which leaves the question of the popularity of the respective debuting heroes.  Right now, Green Arrow is currently a well-established TV character, having been a supporting character in Smallville and a wildly popular character in the Arrow-verse shows.  WW hasn't been on tv in more than 30 years and, even then, on a show of less significance and popularity than the Arrow.  But, WW does have a good run starting in the movies.  So they presently seem about equivalent in popularity.

Everyone views WW as one of the big three.  And on my personal list of DC character popularity during the GA, she's a Tier 1 character (with Superman, Batman, and Robin). 

But, Green Arrow is an interesting case. He first appears in More Fun 73 (Nov. 41) and four issues later has knocked Spectre and Doctor Fate off of the cover rotation of More Fun (Spectre got 14 covers and Fate only 11). Green Arrow then has a run of 23 covers on More Fun. So Green Arrow was more popular than both Spectre and Doctor Fate because he displaced them in More Fun and had more covers.  Admittedly, Spectre and Fate had some time on the JSA, but they got booted halfway through the run (No. 24). And Green Arrow had a 14 issue run with the cover featured Seven Soldiers in Leading Comics.

Green Arrow remained in continuous publication from his first appearance through until the Silver Age. Only Superman, Batman/Robin, Wonder Woman, Superboy and, I think one other character can make that claim. So viewed historically, on the ultimate measure of popularity, Green Arrow is just one step below the Big Three and above every other DC GA hero. And on the present measure of popularity, the tv show suggests he also is way above most other DC GA heroes.

And, of course, MF 73 also features the origin and first appearance of Aquaman.  A minor back-up character in the GA, but also, I believe, one of the few characters that stayed in continuous or close to continuous publication from his first appearance through the 50s.  And Aquaman is now JLA movie.

Taken together, I think a decent argument can be made that MF 73 is a very equivalent book to AS 8.  Arrow fans will rate it higher. 

You made the argument I was thinking, and much more eloquently than I would have.

5 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

The resto work that is noted on the label will definitely tame the price. I would not resubmit this book.  First off, even if it got a 9.6, it won't help the valuation. It's still the Single Highest graded at 9.4 or 9.6 . I would also not risk a change of position on the resto work to a Purple Label.  The risk/reward is not there. Very pretty book ! Shame some insufficiently_thoughtful_person worked on it.

As I understand it, when CGC notes "a minor amount of color touch" on a book in a blue label, it means a minute dot of color touch that, if removed, would not affect the grade of the book.  A similar analysis would apply to "a minor amount of glue" on a blue label book.  Does anyone have a different understanding?

44 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

As I understand it, when CGC notes "a minor amount of color touch" on a book in a blue label, it means a minute dot of color touch that, if removed, would not affect the grade of the book.  A similar analysis would apply to "a minor amount of glue" on a blue label book.  Does anyone have a different understanding?

I would have thought that you own this book hm After all you are RareHighGrade :tink:

I value this book between  $400-$500k because of the label notes and I also think that right now, WW is a bigger character in the DC Universe than Green Arrow with just the movie and with more to come later on in the future.  WW is gaining a lot of steam and is a top 3 DC Superhero in my opinion.  If the owner is having health problems, debt, or what have you, and seems like he is in need of cash, than why not just auction the book instead of sitting on it with a buy it now price and wait who knows how long?  If it is for a huge flip he is trying to accomplish, than I understand why he would have it as such.  It's still a key book and a very nice looking copy and I project it to do well at auction.  Probably a better time to sell the book during the MF 73 crazy price hike a couple years back or so. If I had the book, I would've tried to auction it then, now it seems prices are going back down to earth. 

Whenever I see a GA book with minor amount of color touch, glue etc., I always think of it as not being intentionally that it was probably caused by accident.  If small enough it probably wouldn't affect the grade, but I would approach on the side of caution and figure it would drop a couple points or even half a grade.  But yes, rather risky to try and do a press and to regrade the book.  We've all seen books placed in blue holders suddenly  turn up in purple holders after a re-grade.  It can happen...

2 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

I don't understand 'minor amount' to mean a minute dot. I also don't think it means it is easily removable/not affect the grade. Where on earth did you hear that ? If anything, I think 'minor amount'  is larger/more than a 'small amount'. Personally, I have seen 'small amount' equate to lots of numerous spots. Also, if there is glue, it may be holding something together, like a chip or staple. If removed, the grade may go down, maybe a lot. This is resto that got a pass from Borock. He caved to some big money collectors. I would not chance a resubmission for any reason.  

1 hour ago, RareHighGrade said:

Believe me, I wish I did.

I don't think the book looks 9.4 in this pic (shrug) the spine look's real bad and it looks like I can see a little blue color touch in the letters FUN if you enlarge the pic you see light blue?. Mind you I only had 2 Racer 5's:tink:PS I got the pick off Link but it says Heritage

RADD56B62017830_5176.jpg

Edited by woowoo

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

I value this book between  $400-$500k because of the label notes and I also think that right now, WW is a bigger character in the DC Universe than Green Arrow with just the movie and with more to come later on in the future.  WW is gaining a lot of steam and is a top 3 DC Superhero in my opinion.  If the owner is having health problems, debt, or what have you, and seems like he is in need of cash, than why not just auction the book instead of sitting on it with a buy it now price and wait who knows how long?  If it is for a huge flip he is trying to accomplish, than I understand why he would have it as such.  It's still a key book and a very nice looking copy and I project it to do well at auction.  Probably a better time to sell the book during the MF 73 crazy price hike a couple years back or so. If I had the book, I would've tried to auction it then, now it seems prices are going back down to earth. 

Whenever I see a GA book with minor amount of color touch, glue etc., I always think of it as not being intentionally that it was probably caused by accident.  If small enough it probably wouldn't affect the grade, but I would approach on the side of caution and figure it would drop a couple points or even half a grade.  But yes, rather risky to try and do a press and to regrade the book.  We've all seen books placed in blue holders suddenly  turn up in purple holders after a re-grade.  It can happen...

Don't forget 1st app of AQUAMAN & Green Arrow on this one . Aquaman comes next year and first trailer comes in Oct/Nov. I think the movie will be a big hit like WW. So maybe 600/750k level