• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MF73 CGC 9.4 Mile High
3 3

150 posts in this topic

yeah talk about a great buy.     Right before the hollywood effect, right before GA big keys going haywire, this book got two huge boosts.

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

I value this book between  $400-$500k because of the label notes and I also think that right now, WW is a bigger character in the DC Universe than Green Arrow with just the movie and with more to come later on in the future.  WW is gaining a lot of steam and is a top 3 DC Superhero in my opinion.  If the owner is having health problems, debt, or what have you, and seems like he is in need of cash, than why not just auction the book instead of sitting on it with a buy it now price and wait who knows how long?  If it is for a huge flip he is trying to accomplish, than I understand why he would have it as such.  It's still a key book and a very nice looking copy and I project it to do well at auction.  Probably a better time to sell the book during the MF 73 crazy price hike a couple years back or so. If I had the book, I would've tried to auction it then, now it seems prices are going back down to earth. 

Whenever I see a GA book with minor amount of color touch, glue etc., I always think of it as not being intentionally that it was probably caused by accident.  If small enough it probably wouldn't affect the grade, but I would approach on the side of caution and figure it would drop a couple points or even half a grade.  But yes, rather risky to try and do a press and to regrade the book.  We've all seen books placed in blue holders suddenly  turn up in purple holders after a re-grade.  It can happen...

I agree and think 500K max regardless of the glue/CT (which I also thought was common knowledge that for GA blue label books was a minute amount that supposedly would not affect the grade if removed).  Either way incredible looking book, nothing like a Church.

Sure the movie may hit and blow up  and you could be talking about a different market at that time but 1.5M sounds more like 2040 pricing then 2020 to me. 

Edited by TeddieMercede

4 hours ago, Dreamtoreal1 said:

Don't forget 1st app of AQUAMAN & Green Arrow on this one . Aquaman comes next year and first trailer comes in Oct/Nov. I think the movie will be a big hit like WW. So maybe 600/750k level

It can very well be. Only time will tell.  We'll see how the JLA movie is hoping it will do well.  

12 hours ago, Silver Surfer said:

Funny how they can be so selective with labels when its a big dollar GA book, happened way too often. If this was a Voldy book we would be up in arms (not that I am making any excuses for those guys) Follow the money.

CGC had to do this when it was launching, otherwise the big dealers and collectors would never have thrown their support behind CGC, and it would've been stillborn.

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

CGC had to do this when it was launching, otherwise the big dealers and collectors would never have thrown their support behind CGC, and it would've been stillborn.

Same could be said I suppose for the grandfathering in of tape which also got a similar pass (somewhat changed now, however).

15 hours ago, TeddieMercede said:

I agree and think 500K max regardless of the glue/CT (which I also thought was common knowledge that for GA blue label books was a minute amount that supposedly would not affect the grade if removed).  

What is this 'common knowledge' that the resto removal would not affect the grade ? Was it a wink-wink, nudge-nudge type of arrangement ? And what if this book is resubmitted with resto removal and does not get the same grade. Who would you complain to, Borock ? I think whatever pass Borock gave during the CGC launch would probably not hold true today. I stand by my statement, I would not resub this book, not even for a reholder ! I don't want to comment on the current appearance of this book but anybody that buys it hoping for an upgrade is taking a longshot. 

21 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Green Arrow remained in continuous publication from his first appearance through until the Silver Age. Only Superman, Batman/Robin, Wonder Woman, Superboy and, I think one other character can make that claim.

What about Plastic Man and Blackhawk? And not to mention Ducks, Tarzan, Lone Ranger and some other Dell titles.

Or are we only talking DC characters?

34 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

22 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Green Arrow remained in continuous publication from his first appearance through until the Silver Age. Only Superman, Batman/Robin, Wonder Woman, Superboy and, I think one other character can make that claim.

What about Plastic Man and Blackhawk? And not to mention Ducks, Tarzan, Lone Ranger and some other Dell titles.

Or are we only talking DC characters?

For some reason, I thought Aquaman continued throughout as well.  Maybe I missed this if said earlier or possibly my aqua-memory has washed away.

On 8/30/2017 at 8:45 AM, sacentaur said:
On 8/30/2017 at 8:35 AM, Bomber-Bob said:

Shame some insufficiently_thoughtful_person worked on it.

Probably Snyder to Anderson, that was the usual pattern. :eyeroll:

The former actually thought he was improving the book,

And yet, we live to repeat our mistakes as in a sense, nothing much has really changed except for a finer interpretation.  :facepalm:

Yes, back then in the so-called good old days, restoration was indeed seen as not only improving a book but also adding value to it.  I still remember the articles in the Overstreet guide back then trying to come up with some type of calculation to determine the added value of having books with restoration on them.  The gist of it was that a restored book was always worth more than an unrestored book in its original lower grade condition, but never as much as it would be in its higher restored grade condition if it had been an original unrestored copy. 

Fast forward to today and this is definitely not the case anymore as restored books have gone the other other way and in many cases are worth less than what they were in their original lower unrestored condition.  And yet, not only are collectors and speculators continuing to improve their books in today's marketplace, they are actively encouraged to do so.  The only difference being that certain activities that were once considered to be restoration are now being conveniently seen as "maximization of potential" and also conveniently need not be disclosed upon selling.  :frown:

So, different times, different attitudes.  I wonder if collectors will think differently 30+ years from now when they look back at today's marketplace and see all of the so-called "improved" books and once again wonder why?  hm

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, back then in the so-called good old days, restoration was indeed seen as not only improving a book but also adding value to it.  I still remember the articles in the Overstreet guide back then trying to come up with some type of calculation to determine the added value of having books with restoration on them.  The gist of it was that a restored book was always worth more than an unrestored book in its original lower grade condition, but never as much as it would be in its higher restored grade condition if it had been an original unrestored copy. 

That's still the way I look at it.  The stigma attached to restoration seems entirely bizarre to me.

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

And yet, we live to repeat our mistakes as in a sense, nothing much has really changed except for a finer interpretation.  :facepalm:

True - the Good 'ol Boys club protect their own, and several of the biggest dealers in the country today remain on the lofty perch despite a plethora of examples of unethical and execrable behavior.

History just keeps repeating itself, and though CGC has partially leveled the playing field the old habits still remain.

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

The stigma attached to restoration seems entirely bizarre to me.

For me at least, it stems from egregious Greed Merchants (some of whom are still around today) manipulating, lying, and cheating collectors by intentionally failing to disclose restoration. And it happened a lot back in the day (don't know if you were collecting back then). Such a stigma is difficult to shed.

Still, look at other hobbies and restoration is generally looked down upon so comics are in line with that.

There's nothing like an original. However today, I really like a nicely restored book - I can handle and enjoy it without concern, and chances are that I obtained it at a fraction of the price of an unrestored. 

As long as full disclosure is provided, I am perfectly OK with professional restoration.

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Fast forward to today and this is definitely not the case anymore as restored books have gone the other other way and in many cases are worth less than what they were in their original lower unrestored condition.  And yet, not only are collectors and speculators continuing to improve their books in today's marketplace, they are actively encouraged to do so.  The only difference being that certain activities that were once considered to be restoration are now being conveniently seen as "maximization of potential" and also conveniently need not be disclosed upon selling.  :frown:

So, different times, different attitudes.  I wonder if collectors will think differently 30+ years from now when they look back at today's marketplace and see all of the so-called "improved" books and once again wonder why?  hm

My  Tec 27 I bought from Gerber himself as a Fair/good. I had book restored to VG+ and the value was way way up. Batman 1 unrestored VG/F had book restored to VF/NM value up up and away. Tec 1 unrestored VG/F now VF/NM up up up. Now if I left them the way I bought them I would be full of :flipbait:I am glad my Action 13 was not worth restoring in the day but I did leave it on the bottom of 60 books and it has a slight wave (shrug) and off the staples

Action-13 bc 2nd pic.JPG

50 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

It is called Comicbook Alchemy turn a Hawkeye into a Church :insane:

should refer to him as the Alchemist rather than the Dentist. 

Yes, complete with magic wand (or in this egregious case, a pencil)!

18 hours ago, tth2 said:

I guess the same could be said for Voldy today? Same stuff different monogram on the shirt.