• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Most Bid Retractions I've Ever Seen.......

41 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

Not this many in this period of time, but the pattern ordinarily seen with someone retracting this often to put a placeholder bid, and a second bid for an amount that others will deem insane/crazy and meant to drive away competing bidders. The retraction on the second/crazy amount happens a little before the allowable retraction period (I believe it's 12 hours). This has a tendency to happen on high demand/caliber pieces, with the sole intent of trying to get the item for lower than FMV. What I don't understand about eBay is when this kind of thing happens this frequently, they should ban the person. A number of times when this happened it frustrated the seller to cancel the auction, and a few times they didn't relist (likely contacted privately by some interested party, and an item I was interested in bidding on never reappeared). 

This is usually brought up in discussions on eBay scams as "bid shielding."

That's interesting, I've never heard of that tactic before. 

In this case it was 4-5 days before the end of the auction I was watching.

The bid retractor had two bids. This was the pattern:

His first bid, exceeded the real max bidder by $2. 

He retracted that bid an hour later

Then, exactly 13 seconds later, he placed a second bid that was just BELOW the newly discovered max bid of the real bidder.

He placed a bid that he knew wouldn't make him the winning bidder but that would bump up the current price of the item. hm 

3 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Then, exactly 13 seconds later, he placed a second bid that was just BELOW the newly discovered max bid of the real bidder.

He placed a bid that he knew wouldn't make him the winning bidder but that would bump up the current price of the item. hm 

Yes, this sounds like a way to reveal the max bid amount. 

the original thread is gone ( so harder to check aliases) ...  but it looks like "good news"  is back -

he was posting on the SD comics facebook bragging bout ebay sales - also posted pics of IH 181 and ASM 129 - both CGC 3.5

living_room_con     had ebay sales of the same books after the post ( and from San Diego) .....

not a ton of bidding history ( most of the auctions are private bidders) ...... but worth a look from the "CGC PI Squad" ......

26 minutes ago, W16227 said:

the original thread is gone ( so harder to check aliases) ...  but it looks like "good news"  is back -

he was posting on the SD comics facebook bragging bout ebay sales - also posted pics of IH 181 and ASM 129 - both CGC 3.5

living_room_con     had ebay sales of the same books after the post ( and from San Diego) .....

not a ton of bidding history ( most of the auctions are private bidders) ...... but worth a look from the "CGC PI Squad" ......

I had a look at the completed Hulk 181, Hulk 5, and All-Star 58 as well as the currently running X-Men 94.  If it is Kaftor, it doesn't appear he's gotten back into bid shilling on eBay (not yet anyway, who knows what the future holds). 

2 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

I had a look at the completed Hulk 181, Hulk 5, and All-Star 58 as well as the currently running X-Men 94.  If it is Kaftor, it doesn't appear he's gotten back into bid shilling on eBay (not yet anyway, who knows what the future holds). 

I did not see anything fishy with the visible auctions - but I am no expert by far.  Just wanted the radar out again. Never saw the guy post out a mea culpa of any sort - so unknown if he is trying it the right way this time, or trying to fly under the radar a lot more......

On 8/31/2017 at 10:19 AM, comix4fun said:

:mad:

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 6:43 PM, 01TheDude said:

one thing I will add is not to look at those 6 month numbers from ebay as gospel.

I haven't made a single retraction in almost a year and it still shows me having 6 of them somehow. 

I stopped making retractions once I realized how this looked to others as possible shilling or probing for others high bids.

Now I just put in my best number and stick with it or set it up as a snipe bid as many of these sellers are shilling to raise the bids if you put one in early.

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:02 PM, comix4fun said:

But jeez, even if it's in his entire eBay lifespan 70 some retractions is a gigantic number, even if it's half that in the last six months...that's a big number. I think I've had 3-4 or them in the 20 years I've used the site. 

I have probably been on eBay for around 20 years and I have NEVER retracted a bid. 

I am not judging anyone else, but for me, I would consider that as going back on my word (something I refuse to do).

The only time I would think a bid retraction would be acceptable (for me) is IF I accidently typed in the wrong number (an extra zero or something).

This is just my opinion and as I said, I am not judging anyone else who thinks this practice is acceptable.

32 minutes ago, Hudson said:

I have probably been on eBay for around 20 years and I have NEVER retracted a bid. 

I am not judging anyone else, but for me, I would consider that as going back on my word (something I refuse to do).

The only time I would think a bid retraction would be acceptable (for me) is IF I accidently typed in the wrong number (an extra zero or something).

This is just my opinion and as I said, I am not judging anyone else who thinks this practice is acceptable.

An error in the amount is one of the main reasons for sure. 

Another was, in the old days of ebay (not sure how they handle it now) was if the seller altered the description of an item you had the option of retracting without repercussion. Such as “I just discovered the MVS was cut out”

So there used to be more than one reason to retract reasonably. 

Edited by comix4fun

7 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

An error in the amount is one of the main reasons for sure. 

Another was, in the old days of ebay (not sure how they handle it now) was if the seller altered the description of an item you had the option of retracting without repercussion. Such as “I just discovered the MVS was cut out”

Sp there used to be more than one reason to retract reasonably. 

Totally agree with you!  If the item description changed, then all bets are off, and I would agree one should have the right to retract or adjust their bid accordingly.  Thanks for pointing that out.  It was something I had not considered.

15 minutes ago, Hudson said:

Totally agree with you!  If the item description changed, then all bets are off, and I would agree one should have the right to retract or adjust their bid accordingly.  Thanks for pointing that out.  It was something I had not considered.

There's another thing that used to happen as well. Bid discovery. That's where someone would bid over and over again and once they outbid you, they'd retract their bid knowing what your top was. That's not always something shady. However, if it was a low feedback bidder, or someone who bid a lot on that seller's auctions, and the whole thing smelled like shilling....I think you can retract and walk away from the auction with your integrity held high. 

19 hours ago, comix4fun said:

There's another thing that used to happen as well. Bid discovery. That's where someone would bid over and over again and once they outbid you, they'd retract their bid knowing what your top was. That's not always something shady. However, if it was a low feedback bidder, or someone who bid a lot on that seller's auctions, and the whole thing smelled like shilling....I think you can retract and walk away from the auction with your integrity held high. 

This type of activity accounted for some of my retractions. Also a few times after bidding and finding someone discussing a seller on here who was not reliable/honest.

On 1/30/2018 at 2:29 PM, mattn792 said:
On 1/30/2018 at 1:59 PM, W16227 said:

I had a look at the completed Hulk 181, Hulk 5, and All-Star 58 as well as the currently running X-Men 94.  If it is Kaftor, it doesn't appear he's gotten back into bid shilling on eBay (not yet anyway, who knows

--- it is definitely him

His slab sales are strange -- cant really say if anything is going on, but he is losing money on every sale. Most are sold underwater ( so lose $$ and the ebay/paypal cut) - and most of the ones where he gets a slight bump over what he paid- are underwater with the vig.....    ( info readily available on GPA).

If you look at his feedback - very strange as a buyer- says he has 60 bid retractions in the last year.

30 minutes ago, mattn792 said:
13 hours ago, kav said:

Hahaha, karma gonna do what karma does!  Wonder what happened this time.

Don't think anything extra happened -- but he was banned form ebay and set up another account.

Ebay probably did him a favor - if his CGC transactions were real,  he was losing $50 or more per transaction......He was flipping most for less than he paid, many times before any fees applied ( per GPA prices) ....

I don’t know if this scam was brought up but I was bidding on an eBay auction with a friend in which we both lost. Afterwards be both received “second chance”offers because we had the second highest bids (we both were bidding on different items, FYI). I declined, he accepted. Didn’t think much of it until I happened to be bidding again from the same seller along with 3 other friends and again we all were bidding on different books. Amazingly we all lost but all of us received “second chance”offers since we were the highest bidders and the “winner”backed out. All of us declined after I explained my earlier experience with this seller and I moved on but one of my friends did a little research and found that the seller was regularly using 2 other eBay users to win and retract auctions. This was a few years ago and I don’t know if the eBay “second chance”offer thing still exists but it left a bad taste in my mouth. 

Edited by N e r V