• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should books graded 9.6 have notes?
1 1

Poll  

38 members have voted

1. 1. should books graded 9.6 have notes?

• Yes
    • No
    • Greggy aka Crack

79 posts in this topic

So lately I've had a number of books I've subbed that have come back graded 9.6. In some instances I'll submit multiple copies but only some of the books will contain notes whereas others do not (all graded at 9.6)

It makes me think that the grader didn't find anything wrong (or at least significant enough to make a note)  but didn't feel it was a "9.8"

Edited by jsilverjanet

On one hand, you're paying for the number and the resto-check, not a detailed commentary of WHY.

On the other hand, if there is any resto, I think it is almost always noted specifically what resto there is (color-touch, spine reinforce, glue, etc), not just the type (A-1, C-4, etc.) - so why not do the same with noting specifically what defects account for the grade?

Ideally, unless the book is a 10, then there are observable defects that the grader saw, so for the sake of consistency with specifically noting restoration, graders should also note specific defects that account for the grade.

4 minutes ago, jcjames said:

On one hand, you're paying for the number and the resto-check, not a detailed commentary of WHY.

On the other hand, if there is any resto, I think it is almost always noted specifically what resto there is (color-touch, spine reinforce, glue, etc), not just the type (A-1, C-4, etc.) - so why not do the same with noting specifically what defects account for the grade?

Ideally, unless the book is a 10, then there are observable defects that the grader saw, so for the sake of consistency with specifically noting restoration, graders should also note specific defects that account for the grade.

i agree with this guy-  im always happy with a 9.8-  but why wasn't it a 9.9 or a 10?   ive sent some in that i have hopes that i might nab my first 9.9- but still no luck--- what do you have to have to get that extra .1 bump?

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

So lately I've had a number of books I've subbed that have come back graded 9.6. In some instances I'll submit multiple copies but only some of the books will contain notes whereas others do not (all graded at 9.6)

It makes me think that the grader didn't find anything wrong (or at least significant enough to make a note)  but didn't feel it was a "9.8"

I agree.  It shouldn't be some mystery.  I buy more 9.6 books than 9.8 simply because I can't justify double the price. I think 9.6 books look every bit as nice as 9.8 in most cases.

5 minutes ago, MrWalkingDead said:

i agree with this guy-  im always happy with a 9.8-  but why wasn't it a 9.9 or a 10?   ive sent some in that i have hopes that i might nab my first 9.9- but still no luck--- what do you have to have to get that extra .1 bump?

Complete Luck.

1 minute ago, WoWitHurts said:

Complete Luck.

I've heard years ago that, in automobile manufacturing, there are certain days of the week that cars are produced with more defects than other days due to workers making more mistakes or being less-than-diligent (maybe not so much nowadays with so much automated assembly-line manufacturing). Like you don't want to buy a car that rolled off the assembly line on a Monday or a Friday (on Mondays workers are more likely to be hungover and Fridays workers are more likely to be tired and cut corners).

I wonder if it's the same with graders - are certain grades more likely to be given depending on the day of the week because the grader might be getting weary from a long week, or is hungover or just having "a case of the Mondays"?

I wonder what % of highest grades are given on each day of the week, statistically there should be 20% of all 9.8's given during the week (M-F) equally distributed on each day of the week.

But if, for example, only 10% of all 9.8 grades given out during a week are given on a Monday or Friday, that would suggest more subjectivity with the grader than with the book itself.

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

Getting a 9.6 without notes does bother me. We are paying for a service, and one of those services is identifying possible flaws with our books. I have pretty much come to accept that some 9.6s will not have notes but I have also received 9.4s without any notes and this truly bothers me. As a paying customer I would like to no why my book is being downgraded. Perhaps there is a flaw that I did not notice and that is fine but telling me what was wrong allows me to grade better in the future and make more informed purchases.

Additionally, there is a number of collectors that believe CGC is controlling the market by down grading otherwise pristine books. I may be naïve but I do not believe this is the case. Either way though not supplying reasons for downgrading a books adds fuel to the fire and causes other collectors to question the integrity of the company. As a paying customer I believe we deserve the notes for the books we submit and if they aren't going to at least establish some consistency. Either require all 9.6 and below to have notes or don't put any notes for 9.6s, establish a point in which their graders are required to so everybody is operating the same.

2 minutes ago, jcjames said:

I've heard years ago that, in automobile manufacturing, there are certain days of the week that cars are produced with more defects than other days due to workers making more mistakes or being less-than-diligent (maybe not so much nowadays with so much automated assembly-line manufacturing). Like you don't want to buy a car that rolled off the assembly line on a Monday or a Friday (on Mondays workers are more likely to be hungover and Fridays workers are more likely to be tired and cut corners).

You want to stay away from the morning after the CGC Team bowling night.  :tink:

5 minutes ago, jevlnuts said:

Getting a 9.6 without notes does bother me. We are paying for a service, and one of those services is identifying possible flaws with our books. I have pretty much come to accept that some 9.6s will not have notes but I have also received 9.4s without any notes and this truly bothers me. As a paying customer I would like to no why my book is being downgraded. Perhaps there is a flaw that I did not notice and that is fine but telling me what was wrong allows me to grade better in the future and make more informed purchases.

Additionally, there is a number of collectors that believe CGC is controlling the market by down grading otherwise pristine books. I may be naïve but I do not believe this is the case. Either way though not supplying reasons for downgrading a books adds fuel to the fire and causes other collectors to question the integrity of the company. As a paying customer I believe we deserve the notes for the books we submit and if they aren't going to at least establish some consistency. Either require all 9.6 and below to have notes or don't put any notes for 9.6s, establish a point in which their graders are required to so everybody is operating the same.

I f a competitor like C$B$C$S stuck in their craw and they could deliberately grade "tighter" so that grades of their competitors than become less those graded in the same grade by CGC. By sure volume and market share this would be possible.  I think if they made their grading criteria public or used a universally accepted method i.e. Overstreet it would be more transparent.