• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

These fake sellers are getting worse

25 posts in this topic

Aside from the usual fake Peanuts strip, this time they just copied a just completed Gary Frank cover listing.

I already notified Sterlingclass, hopefully they can do something.  But stay away!  For 1 second I thought the winner had winner's regret and was re-selling.

Real Gary Frank Cover Auction

fake auction

Malvin

2 hours ago, malvin said:

Aside from the usual fake Peanuts strip, this time they just copied a just completed Gary Frank cover listing.

I already notified Sterlingclass, hopefully they can do something.  But stay away!  For 1 second I thought the winner had winner's regret and was re-selling.

Real Gary Frank Cover Auction

fake auction

Malvin

I also saw the second auction and thought that maybe the winner had backed out, so the seller put it back on auction. So what's the scam here? Is the seller selling the piece with no intention on delivering? Is it a copy?

1 hour ago, suspense39 said:

One thing I just noticed on the eBay app, in the upper right there are 3 dots, if you click on those it tales you right to a tab that says "report item"

One thing I have found is 5 reports on a comic book fraud listing will get it removed.  No amount of reports on OA will have any effect whatsoever.  To get Ducoso banned from selling took a lot of evidence, including links to statements from Steranko and John Romita that his pieces were not done by them, as well as links to original pieces from google images he had traced from.

40 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

I also saw the second auction and thought that maybe the winner had backed out, so the seller put it back on auction. So what's the scam here? Is the seller selling the piece with no intention on delivering? Is it a copy?

the wording is exactly the same as the original auction.  I doubt that this seller, who sells fakes, won the original cover.

not sure what their endgame would have been, I assume some sort of copy would be sent, unless their paypal/ebay account is such that they can take the money out as soon as payment is made (most new sellers have restrictions)

I try to be not definitive when making statements, but this seller definitely does not have the cover.

Malvin

Just sent the real seller this maybe he will answer if so I will post it. 

Hi I was just wondering if you sold this art to this guy?
Seems funny he would sell it for less than he bought it.
Or is this guy scamming on E-Bay?
Your oppion would be helpful.
Check it here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gary-Frank-Superman-Original-Comic-Art-Action-Comics-Cover-974-Batman-JLA-/302434024535?hash=item466a78fc57:g:csUAAOSw0GJZpzU~&rmvSB=true

39 minutes ago, topcat54 said:

Just sent the real seller this maybe he will answer if so I will post it. 

Hi I was just wondering if you sold this art to this guy?
Seems funny he would sell it for less than he bought it.
Or is this guy scamming on E-Bay?
Your oppion would be helpful.
Check it here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gary-Frank-Superman-Original-Comic-Art-Action-Comics-Cover-974-Batman-JLA-/302434024535?hash=item466a78fc57:g:csUAAOSw0GJZpzU~&rmvSB=true

I sent her a note before posting and she replied to me, here is her response:

---

Hi Malvin,

Thanks for the email and all your help.

This is a fraud.  

The buyer received his cover this week and lives in California.  Not Florida.  He also sent us an email letting us know about this fraudulent auction.

We reported it last night using the site options and then right now called eBay by phone to report this seller.

We did talk to a real person working for eBay and they said they would investigate so we'll see what happens.

Thanks again for all your help,

Sterlingclass

1 hour ago, malvin said:

I sent her a note before posting and she replied to me, here is her response:

---

Hi Malvin,

Thanks for the email and all your help.

This is a fraud.  

The buyer received his cover this week and lives in California.  Not Florida.  He also sent us an email letting us know about this fraudulent auction.

We reported it last night using the site options and then right now called eBay by phone to report this seller.

We did talk to a real person working for eBay and they said they would investigate so we'll see what happens.

Sterlingclass

That is crazy.  Thanks for bringing this type of stuff to our attention.  

Thanks again, Malvin. Again, I assumed it was a relist. Fortunately, it's not a piece I'm interested in but if it was, I never would've given it any thought to not bid. I may have been fooled by this seller before, putting in a $10 bid on a "Skottie Young cover." I remember the seller's location was Florida. Luckily I didn't win. 

Received the same message from Steringclass

New message from: sterlingclass (1,296Red Star)

This is a fraud. 

The buyer received his cover this week and lives in California. Not Florida. The owner of the cover also sent us an email letting us know about this fraudulent auction.

We reported the auction last night using the site options and then right now called eBay by phone to report this seller.

We did talk to a real person working for eBay and they said they would investigate, so we'll see what happens.

Feel free to also report this auction to ebay.

Sterlingclass

The fake Gary Frank ended, but it looked like it was ended by the seller rather than ebay.

But once again, hope no one falls for this.  He is now selling a "Twice Up" Jack Kirby Thor, but in the description he says it is 8.5 x 11!  It's also only a copy.  He also has DC Comics in the description

ebay link

Malvin

39 minutes ago, kav said:

weird the pic is of the actual page with uneven cuts and markings but he claims it is 8 1/2 by 11

Not so weird.  The original was just posted on CAF.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1418817

I just mentioned it to the CAF member.

Edited by Will_K

5 minutes ago, Will_K said:

Not so weird.  The original was just posted on CAF.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1418817

I just mentioned it to the CAF member.

I just mean he used one pic but is selling something that wont look like that pic when buyer receives it.

Hi, Will and Malvin are correct on this piece - ebay item of Thor 136, page 15.  The seller has listed the item more than once as ORIGINAL ART but different sizes and has ended these auctions with bids but no winners.  I own the OA to this page, so please beware.

Mark