• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK: Follow the bouncing series
1 1

45 posts in this topic

So, seeing a thread for Star Wars Weekly from the UK pop up here recently, I decided to create a thread showing some of my Marvel UK books, tracing the insane route a couple of original series bounced from title to title over a few years.  So this will look at the Night Raven text stories and the Alan Davis-drawn run on Captain Britain.  I just hope people find this interesting.

We start off with Savage Action.  Night Raven was originally a new character created for the Hulk Weekly comic in the UK; the series appeared in the first 20 issues of that magazine.  That title started out with mostly UK produced material, but as time went on it switched to mostly reprints of stories originally published in the US.  But, when Marvel UK started a new title called Savage Action, they added Night Raven in as a text feature.   The first issue rather oddly credits 3 artists with creating the illustrations for the text story, including Steranko.  It's actually just pulling a panel showing a staircase from Tower of Shadows #1 as background for one of the illos.  The other artists are Luke Warme (possibly the most blatant pseudonym I've ever seen) and D. Ryder, neither of who I've ever heard of.  Anyway, on to the covers:

Savage_Action_01.jpg

Savage_Action_02.jpg

It's worth noting that the covers don't necessarily match the stories:  The 1st two issues reprint the Punisher story from Marvel Preview #2, not Marvel Super Action; and they use the Ka-Zar story from Savage Tales #1, not #6, in issue #5.  For that matter, Night-Raven isn't in #5 despite the cover claim.

Savage_Action_05.jpg

Savage_Action_06.jpg

And the series wraps up, with a cover featuring Hodiah Twist- a character who appears nowhere in the issue.  After this the series merges with Marvel Super-Heroes #382, but I'll be starting that title at #377 with the Captain Britain feature. Those should start going up tomorrow.

Savage_Action_15.jpg

3 hours ago, batmiesta said:

Like a lot of  UK monthlies, this  series is  tough to find in high grade, what  condition would  you  say yours are  in? I  am viewing  on my phone so  hard to tell. 

Nice to see some UK books on the forum.

I would say my copies are in variable condition; trying to put together the run in the US they're tough in ANY grade.  Lots of the books also have what I presume is the owner's name on the back; it seemed to be a very common practice.  I was guessing that was from the magazine dealers holding copies for people, not the owners themselves, but that's purely a guess now that I think about it.

Starting off today with the first half of my Marvel Super Heroes run; Captain Britain gets a new solo series after having co-starred in the Black Knight feature in Hulk Weekly.  (If I had the Hulk Weekly issues I really could have started this thread there; but I don't, sadly.  I really should start looking for those.)

The #377 would be considered a classic cover if it had been released in the US, I think.

Marvel_Super_Heroes_377.jpg

Marvel_Super_Heroes_378.jpg

With 382 Savage Action merges into the title, and we have both the Captain Britain and Night Raven series in the same book.   I really do love the handful of original covers we get on this title; although I believe this one is by Paul Neary, not Alan Davis.  Not 100% sure, though.

Marvel_Super_Heroes_381.jpg

Marvel_Super_Heroes_382.jpg

And, with the 386, the last page of the Captain Britain story gets a new writer, uncredited in this issue but revealed in an article in 389: Alan Moore joins the series and the fun really begins.

I'll post the last 9 issues of the Marvel Super Heroes run tomorrow.

Marvel_Super_Heroes_385.jpg

Marvel_Super_Heroes_386.jpg

And #397 is the last issue of the series, but what is essentially the same book relaunches as Mighty World of Marvel; only with heavy covers, some interior color, and a higher price tag.  We'll be seeing the latter part of that run in a couple days, but tomorrow we'll jump over to Daredevils for the entire run.

Marvel_Super_Heroes_397.jpg