• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK: Follow the bouncing series
1 1

45 posts in this topic

My copy of #5 is missing the poster- the only issue in the run which is, which is annoying.  With #6, Night Raven finally makes the move over from Marvel Super Heroes.  At this point, the book is mostly Alan Moore writing other than the Miller Daredevil reprint:  Captain Britain, Night Raven, a reprinted back-up story from Doctor Who, an essay, and fanzine reviews are all credited to Moore.

Daredevils_05.jpg

Daredevils_06.jpg

#7 was the last issue of this title I tracked down.  I want to say I found out after the fact it was Simon Furman selling the book after I won it on the bay; but I might be confusing it with another issue.  I know I got at least one book in this thread from him, maybe two or three.

Daredevils_07.jpg

Daredevils_08.jpg

And today we've got Mighty World of Marvel, the one time where both Captain Britain and Night Raven shifted titles in unison.  I'm guessing the main reason they jumped here, rather than moving the X-Men over to Daredevils, is that is seemed odd to have a book called Daredevils without Daredevil in it.  It really feels like the same book as Daredevils.

Mighty_World_of_Marvel_07.jpg

Mighty_World_of_Marvel_08.jpg

My copy of 13 lacks the stickers; it also happens to be the last issue with Alan Moore writing Captain Britain.  I wonder if this is the only time X-Men/ Micronauts was ever reprinted; it's on the short list of "can never be reissued" X-Men stories at this point, to be sure.

Mighty_World_of_Marvel_13.jpg

Mighty_World_of_Marvel_14.jpg

And 17 is the last issue of the title, with a very short page count; after this Night Raven (and the Magik reprints) move over to Savage Sword of Conan, of all titles.  I'm really not sure why they even bothered with a final issue, given not just both features but both stories are continued.  Or perhaps that's exactly why they did it...

I do like how they reused the art on the cover, though.  It's a nice effect with the new background.  Savage Sword with Night Raven is tomorrow's post.

Mighty_World_of_Marvel_17.jpg

And today we follow Night Raven over to Savage Sword of Conan.  I suppose when you really look at it, it isn't that crazy a move... Night Raven is very much in the Pulp tradition, and Magik (the other feature moving over) was going for a not totally dissimilar sort of fantasy, at least in the Limited Series.  It still feels bonkers to me.

Savage_Sword_of_Conan_85.jpg

Savage_Sword_of_Conan_86.jpg

Just in general, Savage Sword was the hardest of the titles to track down... and cheapest once I did.  93 was the last issue, but I don't have a copy; Night Raven moves back to the Captain Britain title for 3 issues for one last story.  We'll get that run tomorrow.

Anybody know where the Bill Sienkiewicz cover on 92 first appeared?  It's a beautiful piece, but it doesn't seem to have been used on the US Savage Sword title, or any other US cover... but I haven't done perfect research.

Savage_Sword_of_Conan_91.jpg

Savage_Sword_of_Conan_92.jpg

And today we end up this tour of the two features with Captain Britain (second series).  Captain Britain moves over to Excalibur and Marvel US after this, while Night Raven gets a OGN from Marvel UK that is, barring some cameos, the character's last appearance to date.

While Night Raven is named on the cover of the #1, it's just reprints from Hulk Comic at this point.

Captain_Britain_01.jpg

Captain_Britain_02.jpg

I know the series got some US distribution; I just have no idea how much it was.  But this is the only series in this lot to get a US price as well; and I've heard the backup reprints (Night Raven and Abslom Daak) were chosen to showcase some of the best regarded Marvel UK originated material to the US audience.

Captain_Britain_03.jpg

Captain_Britain_04.jpg