• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on Signing

7 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I have a mid-grade (5-6) Brave and the Bold 85 that I got as a gift a few years back that I am thinking about getting signed by Neal Adams at an upcoming con. It's mostly for my personal collection but but it would be nice to have the option of selling it someday if I needed/wanted to. I know if it want it to be legit I'd need to get it signature series so with everything it would be ~$90 to have signed and graded. My question is, would you guys spend money up front to get a better grade book and then get that signed, or just get get the mid grade one signed?

Adams is not a very good spend as it relates to re-sale.  I would get the book that you already have done, with the idea that you can get as much out of it as you can, but at least you will have avoided spending even more on a better book. I have done about 20 NA books, and al of them were done when he charged nothing, and I still find that it is not much of a boost to blue label prices, nor is there much demand.

On 9/1/2017 at 10:44 AM, seanfingh said:

Adams is not a very good spend as it relates to re-sale.  I would get the book that you already have done, with the idea that you can get as much out of it as you can, but at least you will have avoided spending even more on a better book. I have done about 20 NA books, and al of them were done when he charged nothing, and I still find that it is not much of a boost to blue label prices, nor is there much demand.

^ This

I agree with those guys. With a few exceptions, I don't think signatures add much monetary value over an equally graded blue label book. Do whatever will make you happy when you look at the book. I am having Neal sign a Batman #217 NM and a Batman #251 CGC 9.0 at Baltimore next weekend. I didn't already own the books, but #217 is the issue that was out when I was born and #251 is my favorite comic book cover, so I bought the best grades I could afford. For me, I will end up paying more to have him sign it and submit them to CGC SS than it will add value to the book, so I'm strictly doing this for personal pleasure.

I used to get celebrity autographs at comic cons on the 8x10 photos they have at their tables. About a year ago I started having them sign an appropriate comic that they were involved in and submitting it CGC SS. That way I get their signature, it's witnessed, and it's on a media that will hold or increase in value.

IMO, long term, one day when Neal is long gone, his autograph will add some value to books, but right now, it really doesn't. He signs so much that people can easily buy the book they want already signed or buy the one they want and get it signed.

But one day, when he is gone, more of his covers will retire into people's PC and especially ones with signatures. So, the marketplace for his autograph will shrink a bit along with the fact that you won't be able to get his signature anymore. 

I feel similar about Stan Lee. I know people think he signs so much, but once he is gone, I think people are going to see that his signature will start to increase the value of  some books over the years. Maybe not tremendously, but some. Especially ones with good placement and that look quality.

4 hours ago, kevhtx said:

IMO, long term, one day when Neal is long gone, his autograph will add some value to books, but right now, it really doesn't. He signs so much that people can easily buy the book they want already signed or buy the one they want and get it signed.

But one day, when he is gone, more of his covers will retire into people's PC and especially ones with signatures. So, the marketplace for his autograph will shrink a bit along with the fact that you won't be able to get his signature anymore. 

I feel similar about Stan Lee. I know people think he signs so much, but once he is gone, I think people are going to see that his signature will start to increase the value of  some books over the years. Maybe not tremendously, but some. Especially ones with good placement and that look quality.

I would get a sketch done by him myself and submitted. Yes his comic signature holds some value, but it doesn't add much more than10 to 20 bucks if you are lucky.

image.png.5e56d798929287db2bac6b83353ed78a.pngimage.png.76d1726da6203a2befad54568f46c072.png