• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What books are increasing in value other than AF15?
2 2

76 posts in this topic

Even if one or two of the (only 8) 9.6 copies became 9.8's one day, I don't know that the value would crash by any means considering how 9.6's are $10k books themselves.  

The 9.6 GL 76 example was a predictably poor investment, especially on a 1970 (!!) book.  But the 9.8 sales of GL 76 (only two copies) were $37k then $32k, so not nearly as bad as the 9.6 example.  

I think there's a pretty big difference between a 9.8 '64 book (BB 54) and a '70 book (GL 76) or even a '66 book (FF 52), so I wouldn't expect to see this copy (or another 9.8 copy) to sell at a big discount any time soon.  

1 hour ago, nearmint said:

True.  But it is surprising that it took 17 years of CGC grading books before a 9.8 of this issue appeared.

Yes, but probably not a real go to must SA book to be slabbed for most of those 17 years.

Consignor was probably wishing and hoping for something like this recent movie hype to give a boost to the book before bothering to slab and auction it off because it certainly wouldn't have gone for this type of mollah without the current hype.  hm

Looks like his wish is going to come true.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, nearmint said:

I don't think movie hype factored into it.  This book is part of the John G. Fantucchio pedigree.

Jeff

Has the JGF collection gone for premiums just as part of his collection?  I am not questioning and was a big fan of his fandom art but don't track these.  More of a general question overall.

2 minutes ago, telerites said:

Jeff

Has the JGF collection gone for premiums just as part of his collection?  I am not questioning and was a big fan of his fandom art but don't track these.  More of a general question overall.

I don't think the pedigree status has affected auction results, but the often remarkable grades have.  This is a good example. 

The JGF collection has had some strong results but I attribute them to either books looking terrific for the grade or being upgradable.

I know a few people were pleasantly surprised at how the books looked in hand from previous JGF auctions.

On 9/4/2017 at 8:05 PM, Bomber-Bob said:
On 9/2/2017 at 6:22 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Strange Tales 110. Buy all of them. In all grades. No matter the price. Hoard them like tomorrow is the last day.

You heard it here first.

The book is currently in a much more reasonable price range.

ST110 is the absolute last SA key I would even consider buying and even then I would probably take a BA key over it.

40 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

ST110 is the absolute last SA key I would even consider buying and even then I would probably take a BA key over it.

Oh, so your original comment was tongue in cheek. Sorry, couldn't tell ?

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth, the Vishanti may curse you, Peter... :kidaround:

I have all the Marvel SA keys and I would take ST110 over Sgt. Fury 1.  

I get that maybe Strange Tales 110 has less financial potential than some other keys, but it's a really great book. Lee and  Ditko's work on the series is among the very best the silver age has to offer.  Easily a top five run, for me.

Also, the cover is kinda the first appearance of the Frightful Four. Just sayin'.  :bigsmile:

5 hours ago, telerites said:
6 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth, the Vishanti may curse you, Peter... :kidaround:

ok ... ok I did own a Doc Strange 169 9.8 :foryou:

If only ST110 had that cover.

I don't even consider Fury 1 a minor key.

Edited by Gotham Kid

That cover on 110 really kills it, even TTA27 has Pym on the cover (albeit in his bowling shirt and buster browns but still). Not saying its below Fury 1, but wow it's like just a shade above it in the Marvel silver age hierarchy somewhere around 12th.