• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raw AF15 for sale in Victoria BC, Canada
2 2

39 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

"Now experts say the ‘Holy Grail’ comic could sell for a whopping $1 million, attracting buyers from around the world."

They need to get better experts.

I think that's just reporting without a clue.   

Q: what's the most a copy of this comic has ever sold for?

A: 1 mil

Reported: this copy could get a mil!

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

The shots where it's at arms length look really good.    They also mixed in B roll of another copy (with chipping) from Heritage's scans it seems like.   I'm going to guess it's a 7.5 or so

I think that's too high considering the sub crease and other damage.  It's certainly still a nice copy but hardly a million dollar book

Just now, thehumantorch said:

I think that's too high considering the sub crease and other damage.  It's certainly still a nice copy but hardly a million dollar book

Hard to say.   

Agreed.

2 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

"Now experts say the ‘Holy Grail’ comic could sell for a whopping $1 million, attracting buyers from around the world."

That article was full of horrible facts. Novice reporters.

:facepalm:

16 minutes ago, Bronty said:

The shots where it's at arms length look really good.    They also mixed in B roll of another copy (with chipping) from Heritage's scans it seems like.   I'm going to guess it's a 7.5 or so

I think a press could do some good, there looks to be something going on , on the cover by the spine. Anyone in the know would get it graded / pressed, prior to the sale. My assumption is that (without looking up the exact numbers) the gentleman selling it for his client looked into getting it graded, saw the cost (5k + press?) and decided against it... I would think , for maximum exposure/ sale price he would speak to heritage/comiclink/comicconnect etc and let them get it graded , pressed advertised and sold. 

3 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Victoria tv tried to get a bombastic price quote from Golden Age Collectables but the boss was out of the office. Next the interviewer called and tried to get confirmation of it's '$1 million value' from the 8th Dimension in Vancouver, BC, but dealer (opened up about 2 months ago) was realistic by saying he could not guess-timate the condition or price without seeing AF #15 in person. :sorry:

6 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Victoria tv tried to get a bombastic price quote from Golden Age Collectables but the boss was out of the office. Next the interviewer called and tried to get confirmation of it's '$1 million value' from the 8th Dimension in Vancouver, BC, but dealer (opened up about 2 months ago) was realistic by saying he could not guess-timate the condition or price without seeing AF #15 in person. :sorry:

The reporter would have been much more professional to state that price depends on grade and pristine copies have been known to fetch up to $1MIL

3 hours ago, thehumantorch said:
4 hours ago, Bronty said:

I think that's just reporting without a clue.   

Q: what's the most a copy of this comic has ever sold for?

A: 1 mil

Reported: this copy could get a mil!

Accurate reporting would be 'high grade copies have sold for a million or more.'

I just hope he was not stupid enough to quote this $1M figure to the actual owner of the book.  :wishluck:

Nothing like creating false and unrealistic expectations in the mind of an unsuspecting owner.  :frown:

3 minutes ago, Juno Beach said:

Victoria guy here - it was reported that the Legends comic book shop owner is opening a paypal account hoping to have one million people donate a dollar each and then display the comic at museums and shows. 

That is a smart move to make good profit. He get more than its actual value and not worry about the book once he get paid and the owner get paid. But will people be gullible to donate to him? Well, the world has enough number of suckers anyway! hm

Not me, I already had seen more than a few AF 15 copies in person in the past. 

22 hours ago, Juno Beach said:

Victoria guy here - it was reported that the Legends comic book shop owner is opening a paypal account hoping to have one million people donate a dollar each and then display the comic at museums and shows. 

:roflmao:

On 9/2/2017 at 8:11 PM, Juno Beach said:

doh!

I missed the news report but had more than a few friends (the only thing they know about comics is that I collect them) ask me if I'd heard about this "amazing" comic find on the island. None of them could quite remember which comic it was when they told me about it (one was pretty sure it was Spider-Man's 3rd appearance), but they all agreed that it was unique and incredibly rare, sort of like finding a lost Rembrandt hidden beneath the lining of your underwear drawer. Guessing it could only be an AF 15, they were surprised when I told them there were probably a couple dozen of this "incredibly rare" comic available on Ebay at any time. So, yeah, put it in a museum. :tonofbricks:

It really is an asinine idea.     He seems to be starting with the goal of 'how can we keep this comic AND the money?' and telling himself what he wants to hear as opposed to asking himself what will actually work.    All the same I'm glad he found a nice book and hope he does real well with it.    Its a nice shop that I've visited before.