• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommendations for the serious comic collector!
1 1

40 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Every serious collector should read Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds by Charles Mackay. 

Too bad modern researchers never addded a footnote in later editions to explain the inherent cannibalism of stock traders who bet on natural disasters like Harvey.

Not exactly sure what you mean by 'serious', but I'm going to assume you just mean someone who loves the hobby.

There are certain things I've read/done/bought over the years that I would consider an important part of having comics in my life. (probably too many to remember)

First of all, I'm glad I got to know the owner (and employees) of the LCS I frequented as I was growing up. He was actually the first adult friend I had when I was a kid (back in the early70's). Back then you got a lot of eye rolls when people found out you collected comics. It was nice to be around other 'nerds' and feel comfortable.

I'm also very happy whenever I see threads here (or on other boards) concerning the best written comic stories. I don't care who you are, you can't know of every book out there - especially when the majority of your life was before there were computers. I think, and this is just my opinion, that the younger you are, the more emphasis you put on the art. Whereas, the older you get, the writing becomes more important. I've found/read so many great stories as a result of those kind of threads.

I've also found it immensely informative to read the many books out there dealing with the history of comics. (All topics: publishers, artists, covers art, etc) I just finished rereading this. (I have this in the bathroom :) )

Even though CGC, et al. isn't essential, I'm glad that I know and understand about them. Without these forums, I'd be scratching my head whenever I saw a graded comic.

One last thing (for now) - re: those Gerbers - why wasn't there ever a DC set put out. I'm not really a DC guy, but it'd be nice to know what's out there. Having the 2 sets that were published has definitely impacted my comic collecting.

Mike

ps - We've all heard it a thousand times, but the most essential part of this hobby is to collect what you like.

11 hours ago, DarkKnightReturns said:

no way jose, you need those gerbers, imo, if you don't know the past how do you know where you're going? 

There's no reason to waste money on Gerbers when you have the GCD for free. It tells you everything you need to know, including the cover swipes you mentioned.

https://www.comics.org

Edited by NoNeed

I personally like small press from the 1980s and 1990s. I just bought a few new issues and others to fill in a run yesterday for about 20 cents each. I think there are a lot of fun books out there and genre that will bring enjoyment to reading.

I think any Marvel fan should get one of these. Especially at the low price it's now going.

https://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Fabulous-Decades-Worlds-Greatest/dp/0810938219/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1504459518&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=marvel+five+decade

39 minutes ago, NoNeed said:

There's no reason to waste money on Gerbers when you have the GCD for free. It tells you everything you need to know, including the cover swipes you mentioned.

https://www.comics.org

hmm, your username is NoNeed and you just signed up to say don't buy Gerbers lol  

Don't be a cheapskate! BUY THE GERBERS!

17 minutes ago, DarkKnightReturns said:

hmm, your username is NoNeed and you just signed up to say don't buy Gerbers lol  

Don't be a cheapskate! BUY THE GERBERS!

Hey, if you want to flush your money down the toilet on a book with smaller pictures and less info than the GCD, go for it!

Edited by NoNeed

5 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

frank miller's Ronin is still a great and groundbreaking 80s book without which we would never have gotten the dark knight returns. i think its a special mini series.

Very polarising work.

Again, not for everyone.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On September 2, 2017 at 7:04 PM, kav said:

And I dont even own one.  I donated all my GLs to neal adams in the 70s when jeanette kahn was trying to get him all his books-he never obtained them when they came out.

Does he give you free autographs at cons when you see him now?

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Does he give you free autographs at cons when you see him now?

Sir you must be jesting.