• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Quitely Museum Show

24 posts in this topic

To my astonishment, Glasgow credibly claims to have invented the comic book. The Glasgow Looking Glass was published regularly and featured comic stories in color, and with "To Be Continued" captions even, from 1825: ten years ahead of Toppfer. They claim there were also word balloons. If so, it's a real weakness of the show that they didn't exhibit any examples.

FQ9.JPG

Speaking of Toppfer, his Mr. Jabot may only have second place in the first comic contest, but this must surely be the oldest Original Comic Art extant, from 1835 or maybe a little earlier. What's weird is that it's not in Jim Halperin's collection.

FQ10.JPG

Edited by drdroom
typo

In 2005 I spoke with Quitely (or Vince, as the cool kids were calling him back then) and he told me he had three children and each were receiving a complete issue of WE3, as it was the work he was most proud of.  So I don't imagine WE3 will come to market.  He certainly threw himself into that work.

Thanks for posting those well-done pics and the information from the show!   It's all intriguingly informative--particularly that part about Glasgow's claim to first-comics fame.  

Quitely's art is indeed wonderful.  We3 is one of the best graphic novels I've ever read, and I'm glad to read he's so proud of it.  He should be.

23 hours ago, irchooker said:

In 2005 I spoke with Quitely (or Vince, as the cool kids were calling him back then) and he told me he had three children and each were receiving a complete issue of WE3, as it was the work he was most proud of.  So I don't imagine WE3 will come to market.  He certainly threw himself into that work.

Aha, I suspected something like that. Thanks for the intel! 

Something else that made an impression on me from the show were several pages of Grant Morrison scripts for All-Star Superman (ASSMAN to the cognescenti). The demands that Morrison makes on the artist are ridiculous. One page called for characters on a balcony overlooking a futuristic city... then follows a whole page description of the architectural layout of the city, the style of architecture, rivers, ring roads etc, etc. Another -script page for Batman & Robin includes an extended discourse on the comparative fighting styles of the original Robin, Spoon Greyson, and the new Robin, Damian Something-or-other. Damned if Quitely doesn't nail every detail and tonal nuance --it's really a Scorcese-DeNiro level perfect collaboration.

Edited by drdroom
cope with silly censoring function