• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whatever became of Alan Light?
2 2

88 posts in this topic

One of the most influential people in the hobby in the 1970s, he founded The  Buyers Guide to Comic Fandom, which morphed into The Comic Buyers Guide after he sold.

He also published a number of Golden Age reprints under the DynaPubs label. These were mine and many others first exposure to Golden Age material.  I might not have been able to splurge for $200 for a copy of Action 1, but $3 postpaid for a copy of Worlds Fair Comics  was doable. 

He seems to have faded into obscurity, all but forgotten by the hobby he had a major role in starting. 

Edited by shadroch

5 hours ago, shadroch said:
5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Sadly, he passed away years ago. The Buyer's Guide was the EBay of comic books back in them day.

Do you have any information on that?

That's terrible news :frown:   I find it very sad when anyone dies younger than I am, and Allan must have been.  I too would like to know what happened to him ?

8 hours ago, shadroch said:

Do you have any information on that?

I am not sure about RMan's info. Alan Light contributed a reminiscence of the early years of the Buyer's Guide under his helm in the 2014 issue of Alter Ego # 122 in which he writes about the cancellation of the pub that took place in 2013. So, Alan Light was still alive in 2013 / 2014. Maybe RMan's years ago refers to the past couple of years only? Sadly the article did not provide any information about his then-current occupation. Maybe others know.

I can't remember where I heard it but it was only a few years ago. I think cancer took him. Odd, that there is nothing about him except his work on the Buyer's Guide. Isn't everything on the Internet? 

I do know in his later years he was doing a lot of celebrity photographs and attended the Academy Awards for several years. 

20 hours ago, Scrooge said:

I am not sure about RMan's info. Alan Light contributed a reminiscence of the early years of the Buyer's Guide under his helm in the 2014 issue of Alter Ego # 122 in which he writes about the cancellation of the pub that took place in 2013. So, Alan Light was still alive in 2013 / 2014. Maybe RMan's years ago refers to the past couple of years only? Sadly the article did not provide any information about his then-current occupation. Maybe others know.

Bob may have him mixed up wit G.B. Love who sold the Rocket's Blast(?) to Alan Light back in the day. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

11 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

Bob may have him mixed up wit G.B. Love who sold the Rocket's Blast(?) to Alan Light back in the day. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

You might be right. Funny that there is pretty much nothing on the net of him currently. Anybody know Maggie Thompson? She would probably know. Anybody know why Gary Carter dropped out of fandom? He was huge in the day. I thought I heard he was teaching.

On 9/4/2017 at 8:50 PM, Robot Man said:

You might be right. Funny that there is pretty much nothing on the net of him currently. Anybody know Maggie Thompson? She would probably know. Anybody know why Gary Carter dropped out of fandom? He was huge in the day. I thought I heard he was teaching.

I remember reading something about him being an usher or something similar at the Academy Awards. 

I've found a lot of photos of him and famous people ,circa late 1980s, and several of him in a tux holding an Emmy. Photos of him and friends inside the hall during rehearsals and such, and a couple of him standing by a limo outside a film studio. I'm amazed there is so little on him on the web.

On 9/4/2017 at 9:50 PM, Robot Man said:

Anybody know why Gary Carter dropped out of fandom? He was huge in the day. I thought I heard he was teaching.

According to comicbook database information on the web:

Today, Gary is the Dean of the Chabot College School of the Arts in the San Francisco Bay area.

18 hours ago, shadroch said:

I've found a lot of photos of him and famous people ,circa late 1980s, and several of him in a tux holding an Emmy. Photos of him and friends inside the hall during rehearsals and such, and a couple of him standing by a limo outside a film studio. I'm amazed there is so little on him on the web.

I'm amazed that this comic book forum.... which in my opinion is at the top of the pyramid for comic book forums....... has no info on Alan from any of it's members.  None.  Doesn't anyone know the man ?

I'm certain Maggie Thompson would know, but I couldn't find any current contact info for her.

On the other hand, her son (Stephen Thompson) hosts something on NPR called the "Pop Culture Happy Hour":

https://www.facebook.com/pchh

I'm not on Facebook, but maybe someone who is could message him and ask him to ask his mom, or (better) have her chime in here!

1 hour ago, jools&jim said:

I'm certain Maggie Thompson would know, but I couldn't find any current contact info for her.

On the other hand, her son (Stephen Thompson) hosts something on NPR called the "Pop Culture Happy Hour":

https://www.facebook.com/pchh

I'm not on Facebook, but maybe someone who is could message him and ask him to ask his mom, or (better) have her chime in here!

She writes a column for Steve Geppi's Scoop on line newsletter. Yeah, it would be great to have her on here. She could really tell some great stories. I 'll bet she's got some cool photos too.

2 hours ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

Back Issue #100, released last week, was solicited as including the story of The Buyer’s Guide by founder Alan Light.

Yes, I received my copy on Wednesday and checked if there was any information about Alan's current activities in the article and none were mentioned so I didn't post but, unless the piece was written a while back and sat on the publisher's shelf, that's another indication that Alan is still around.

back in the day, it was the comic book collectors lifeline.....he and bob overstreet deserve to be in the comic book hall of fame as early collectors and both help us to be where we are today..on the boards and the CGC...if you are  READING this Alan..THANK YOU

Edited by Mmehdy