• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whatever became of Alan Light?
2 2

88 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Scrooge said:

Yes, I received my copy on Wednesday and checked if there was any information about Alan's current activities in the article and none were mentioned so I didn't post but, unless the piece was written a while back and sat on the publisher's shelf, that's another indication that Alan is still around.

When was the latest info on him from? Anything after 1990? That's about when he seems to disappear.

3 minutes ago, Senormac said:

Wow !!  Is this a modern day comic book mystery ?? Where is he ??  What happened to him ?? 

Hopefully he didn't go to Eugene and get lost....,

30 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

34 minutes ago, Senormac said:

Wow !!  Is this a modern day comic book mystery ?? Where is he ??  What happened to him ?? 

Yea.  There's an evil spirit over that city.  PGX is located there as well.  Awesomely, I live in Springfield !! 

1 minute ago, Senormac said:
32 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

36 minutes ago, Senormac said:

Yea.  There's an evil spirit over that city.  PGX is located there as well.  Awesomely, I live in Springfield !!

Whoa -- I thought Mr. PGX was from Springburg.  Learn something new every day!

On 9/6/2017 at 10:16 PM, jools&jim said:

I'm certain Maggie Thompson would know, but I couldn't find any current contact info for her.

On the other hand, her son (Stephen Thompson) hosts something on NPR called the "Pop Culture Happy Hour":

https://www.facebook.com/pchh

I'm not on Facebook, but maybe someone who is could message him and ask him to ask his mom, or (better) have her chime in here!

Maggie is on Facebook. 

23 hours ago, shadroch said:

By the by, I bought many a BA book from Tony S, who was a mainstay in the CBG. One of the first ads I'd check out every issue.

Aww - thanks Bill. 
I didn't mention anything about "back in the day" because others had. The Buyer's Guide/Comic Buyer's Guide were indeed the good old days and I miss them much.  Every issue was like one giant comic book flea market along with some interesting articles. I used to get my copy of the TBG/CBG sent via UPS to me because 2nd class mail was mixed on when it would arrive. You wanted to be among the first to get your copy before all the good deals were gone. 

17 hours ago, Tony S said:

Aww - thanks Bill. 
I didn't mention anything about "back in the day" because others had. The Buyer's Guide/Comic Buyer's Guide were indeed the good old days and I miss them much.  Every issue was like one giant comic book flea market along with some interesting articles. I used to get my copy of the TBG/CBG sent via UPS to me because 2nd class mail was mixed on when it would arrive. You wanted to be among the first to get your copy before all the good deals were gone. 

Yeah, I lived on the West Coast. By the time I got it, everything I wanted was usually gone. The way I scored was to ask if the seller had any other similar books. Often, I was able to buy books that had yet to be offered. The articles and fandom news were often stellar.

I remember having a few seller ads. I would get calls from the east coast at 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning. Nothing like waking up my wife by some drooling fanboy jonesing for a book. I eventually, stated that I would not accept orders before a certain date and time. This meant that everybody got an even chance and my wife wasn't woken up. If I got a call before then, I would hang up on them. I'm sure I pissed off some but most appreciated me giving them a fair chance. 

3 minutes ago, Senormac said:

hm

59c6db4ca4f2d_sneetches.jpg.b34548e167a9a5afba3f30471d462560.jpg

There was no bigger Beetches than those that called themselves Sneetches.  :sumo: 

2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

There was no bigger Beetches than those that called themselves Sneetches.  :sumo: 

lol

tough beetches, those sneetches, an if they don't like you, you ends up in deetches