• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970s Convention Sketches - Neal Adams and Don Newton Question

4 posts in this topic

Hi all

I don't do much OA or con sketches so I had a question on these.  These belong to a friend of mine and he said he had these done at a con in the early to mid 70s.  Doesn't remember which show but both Adams and Newton were there.   He sent me pictures of both but I guess I deleted the Adams which is a head shot of Green Arrow and signed by Adams.  Similar level of detail and in marker also.  I will ask him for another picture of that one.  

Just curious - is there any market for these and if so, what type of value for them?

Thanks for any help I can share with him.

20170814_131456.thumb.jpg.e2422b3ab2bc21fad2571741a97b477c.jpg

Yeah, there's value. The newton is cool cause you never see them due to his passing so early, but it is a bit rough and its not overly well colored. I would imagine it would be worth 150.00 US range just on oddity alone but if it goes to auction total gamble. I don't see the Adams but of course nicer the better. 

20 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Yeah, there's value. The newton is cool cause you never see them due to his passing so early, but it is a bit rough and its not overly well colored. I would imagine it would be worth 150.00 US range just on oddity alone but if it goes to auction total gamble. I don't see the Adams but of course nicer the better. 

Wow - he will be happy with this.  I love the Newton - he was one of my favorite artists on Aquaman and the Marvel Family stories for some of work at DC in the 70s.  Also his contributions to fandom are enormous.  An art teacher before, correct?

Well it goes to show my memory is just plain terrible anymore.  The other was by Newton as well.  I remembered GL and guess just thought of Adams.  Here is the other one and it has both GL and GA in case anyone was interested in seeing it.

Thanks again for the help.

59ad53835658a_newtongagl.thumb.png.9ad2ebacb3086d0c41709a878da9d817.png