• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good post-crash reference?
2 2

45 posts in this topic

Just now, lizards2 said:

Exactly.  I got a Dinosaur SSWS PGX 9.4 for about 35% of what it would have cost in a CGC label/slab.  I cracked it out, and it's a 9.4.

:whatthe:

I'M BUYING PGX!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Depends on the book.  I have picked up a few midgrade PGX books and cracked them out and submitted them to CGC.  Only once have I received a lower grade with CGC on the resubmit.  In a couple of cases the books have come back much higher.  It depends on the time period that the book was graded.  There is a specific time period that PGX books were very strictly graded. 

2 minutes ago, kav said:
2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Exactly.  I got a Dinosaur SSWS PGX 9.4 for about 35% of what it would have cost in a CGC label/slab.  I cracked it out, and it's a 9.4.

:whatthe:

I'M BUYING PGX!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not necessarily endorsing them.  You still need to do your due diligence with front and back scans, etc.

And how I view that purchase is it was probably FMV, rather than CGC-encased pie-in-the-sky value.

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Depends on the book.  I have picked up a few midgrade PGX books and cracked them out and submitted them to CGC.  Only once have I received a lower grade with CGC on the resubmit.  In a couple of cases the books have come back much higher.  It depends on the time period that the book was graded.  There is a specific time period that PGX books were very strictly graded. 

They must have changed the garage lights at some point.

I once bought a PGX with a McFarlane sig.. I had a buyer that bought it from me later at double what I bought it for, but ended up returning because he thought the sig was fake, he wasnt aware of the fact that McFarlane had diff signatures. That was the only time I bought a PGX book

25 minutes ago, kav said:

Does a PGX SS come back from CGC as 'name written on cover'?

I'm sure, if it's readable they might give the name, idk; I still have a first appearance of Transformers in an 8.5 case of death lol but no it isn't signed hahaha

I used to have a 4.0 IH 181 that had a "significant" piece missing, restored, along with the MVS missing; AHHH being a noob is no fun :kidaround:

5 hours ago, kav said:

Money abhors a vacuum.  If PGX books were ok, people could make a ton of money by buying PGX and cracking/submitting to CGC.  That isnt happening.  The PGX just sit there.

There is a market for PGX books. Some dealers on the West Coast I know still use them to slab 1000's of books.

People do buy them. That's how they've managed to stay in business for the last 15 years.

23 hours ago, JTLarsen said:

I've had them grade books at or stricter than the grades they were sold to me as.

It varies. I've also seen them looser.