• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oddball Question about sketching on blanks

10 posts in this topic

Hey folks

Wasn't sure where to post this but figured many of you may be able to give me some advice.  My daughter is majoring in art and although she doesn't collect or read comics, she does like the genre.  I have convinced to to try sketching a few blanks to try to bring a few bucks if possible and expand her portfolio.  I cannot help her as much on extra money since my health issues have consumed some of my savings but I had invested in a College Savings Plan since she was born so at least a majority is taken care of.  They just keep increasing tuition and college life is expensive anyway.

Obviously these are not for grading or SS in any way.  

My questions are:

What are the best types of media to use to draw on the blank covers?  Do some types adhere and/or present better?

Is there a good place to buy some blanks with more inexpensive than cover price for her to give this a try?  Any recommendations of sites to order?

Is color vs. b/w more desirable?

Any other guidance or help would be great as well.  

Thanks so much

Jeff

What are the best types of media to use to draw on the blank covers?  Do some types adhere and/or present better?

It really depends on the blank cover being drawn on. A majority of the earliest blanks (Marvel) do not take color well. Those blanks (pre-RED BOTTOM STRIPE) take ink and sharpie but not much else.

Almost all DC blanks (minus the German reprints) take all mediums pretty well. 

Is there a good place to buy some blanks with more inexpensive than cover price for her to give this a try?  Any recommendations of sites to order?

Hit me up after this storm passes (im currently getting ready to evacuate) , I am sure I can compile some blanks for you that I have in my inventory. 

Really depends on the blank and the character choice. Some sketches look better in B&W and some in full color. 

As far as getting "cheap blanks" you might want to visit your Local Comic Shop and tell him your story.  Maybe you can propose the idea of buying damaged or undesirable blanks off of him at a discount!  Sometimes the shops get a case of blanks and the bottom few are really dirty or have bent corners.  Those are harder to sell for most shops since collectors are trying to add sketches to them and want books in tip-top shape, so maybe he'll agree to sell them to you for cover or less?  Maybe.

Edited by RadiantGraphix

13 hours ago, Par2ch said:

It really depends on the blank cover being drawn on. A majority of the earliest blanks (Marvel) do not take color well. Those blanks (pre-RED BOTTOM STRIPE) take ink and sharpie but not much else.

Almost all DC blanks (minus the German reprints) take all mediums pretty well. 

Hit me up after this storm passes (im currently getting ready to evacuate) , I am sure I can compile some blanks for you that I have in my inventory. 

Really depends on the blank and the character choice. Some sketches look better in B&W and some in full color. 

Thanks so much, Dan.  It has been a while since I did any SS but you were always one of my go-to people and always thoughtful and helpful.  I do hope you stay safe and Irma calms herself down.  Best wishes and I will shoot you a PM after things quiet down for you.

7 hours ago, RadiantGraphix said:

As far as getting "cheap blanks" you might want to visit your Local Comic Shop and tell him your story.  Maybe you can propose the idea of buying damaged or undesirable blanks off of him at a discount!  Sometimes the shops get a case of blanks and the bottom few are really dirty or have bent corners.  Those are harder to sell for most shops since collectors are trying to add sketches to them and want books in tip-top shape, so maybe he'll agree to sell them to you for cover or less?  Maybe.

Thanks - worth a try.  I don't visit any but there are two very nearby so I can stop in.

Just now, telerites said:

11 hours ago, Par2ch said:

Hey Bud, we got lucky and didnt get any damage. Shoot me over $30 to par2ch@yahoo.com and I will get you a nice allotment of blanks.

You're awesome. Dan!  

From me - (worship)

From my daughter :acclaim:

Oh and I am glad Irma relented some and you are safe and unscathed.   :)

Jeff

43 minutes ago, bigcbass said:

Midtown comics online is a pretty good place to buy blank books. 

She might have better luck drawing female characters.  Those tend to sell better.

Thank you,  I will keep them in mind.  Dan has hooked me up with some for my kiddo to start with.  Appreciate everyone's help :foryou: