• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lake Count-I-Con Oct. 20-22 2017 Grayslake IL (Chicago Northern Suburb)
1 1

24 posts in this topic

I am there for my 3rd year!

It is a really fun show - a mixed bag for comics. They get a large amount of people through the doors - but I have not seen that many big $$$ buyers there. Past 2 years - they have set up the week after wizard world - so understandable that a lot of $$$ is sucked out of the area.

My first year - I was the only one there with slabs ( though a couple of people had some nice higher value books).  Last year - maybe 2 of us ( another boardie lurker was there).  Sold a few of the lower value ones last year - had some bigger books under lock and key  (golden age and high grade silver) - that got a look or two, but not even a nibble of an offer ( and some were very reasonably priced). 

There are also many of the "non comics" booths set up. 

definitely a great value for the price.

Some one asked me last year about any facilitators - have not seen anything with respect to CGC . The  guest list - is always interesting, but not the big hitter names that would will have a need for CGC to be there ( though I see that voldy is setting up something).

Success rate - may be based on what you bring and the price. One of the larger local stores ( dreamland) - brought in mostly pops, and their manager said they did their best show ever. Pops... ( they had a huge selection and commons were likely discounted)....

Hopefully the timing between WW and this - work out well this year for drawing in more collectors. My main goal is moving as much of the bulk low end out the door, but it helps to have people buying the bigger ticket items as well......

Stop by and say hi!  Heck --- any boardies -- the same - CGCers get the "Sunday evening" discount pretty much anytime.

Getting close!!!!

So far - pulled and priced 1500 new books for the show - gonna keep plugging as I want to get as much of the value stock there as I can. This is a medium show - not the pomp of WW or C2E2 - but much larger than a hotel hall or VFW ( last year 6000 people through the door).  The time frame is much better this year too - the show used to be the week after WW....

They are letting any vendor open Friday night this year - last year it was limited to only about 10 of us. They are running a costume party - so not the best lighting for comic hunting, but will be the best time to scrounge for the hidden gems.

Guest list to date -

Riki ‘Riddle’ Lecotey
World-renowned Cosplayer

Vincent Proce
Magic the Gathering, Mortal Kombat, Animaniacs

Philo Barnhart
Little Mermaid, Secret of NIMH, Smurfs

Ashley Witter
Squarriors, Scorch, Star Wars (she recently was awarded the Doctor Aphra 14 cover)

Jeffrey Moy
Gen 13, Legionnaires, Micronauts

Frank Fosco
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Chuck Fiala
Bugs Bunny, Radioactive Blackbelt Hamsters

Topper Helmers
X-Men Animated Series, Walt Disney Imagineer

Jon Parrish
ClusterF@#k, Secrets & Shadows

D.B. Stanley
Lord of Gore

Jai Nitz
Suicide Squad, Tron, Adventure Time

Jim Nelson
Hearthstone, Magic the Gathering,
Skylanders

Charles Moisant
Mystery Manor, Zombie Annihilation

Ash Maczko
Squarriors, Squarriors: The Card Game

Philip Moy
Powerpuff Girls, G.I. Joe, Star Trek

Ali Cantarella
The Hasty Pastry

Mark McHaley
X Files, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings

Kelly Williams
Eerie, Creepy, The Dark, Metaphase

Patrick Trahey
Sol Comics, The XII

Jennifer Cihi
Sailor Moon, Nickelodeon’s Roadhouse

Scary Lady Sarah
Nocturna

Bill Reinhold
Punisher, Batman, The Badger

Linda Reinhold
Fantastic Four, Conan, Spider-man

Dan Leister
Hack/Slash, Lord of Gore

Jeffrey Butler
Green Hornet, Hercules, Jurassic Park

Russell Lissau
The Batman Strikes, Old Wounds

Hilary Barta
Simpsons, Spongebob, The Thing

2 hours ago, 3319comics said:

hmmm, :popcorn:  havent gone to a con in few years. Maybe try this one out. Any ideas on the past year selection of silver/bronze type comics?

Tricky  to say - will depend on what people bring to bear. I will have a ton of modern lower $$$ blow out books occupying half my booth ( priced to MOVE)  - with the other half as back issues/wall ( silver through copper with some gold thrown in). I was shorthanded last year so I had to stay close to the booth and did not see a lot of what was on the floor. There is a lurker boardie ( Matt) - that set up last year that had a very good selection. I do not know if he is returning this year ( do not remember the store name, lol)

Dreamland - will depend on what they bring. 2 years ago - they had much more diverse offerings ( more comics and they do have a good selection). Last year - more toys with some comics.

My " top " silver/bronze I do not usually bring a lot to the show- as I can sell that through other channels pretty easily. I do bring a lot of the keys/semi keys - but generally the mid/lower grade ones.  Below - are my "wall" racks from last year to give you an idea.

If you have a specific collecting area --- let me know and I can see if I have anything of interest I can bring for you to look at.  I will have ~ 20+  short boxes of back issues ( silver through copper) and my 4 racks of wall books.  I do bring a variety of slabs - but most just tire kick those. 

If you do stop by ( Funky Catz Comics) --- ask for Dave and let me know you are on the boards. 

image.thumb.png.a57a1c909ac0f114e374a7b164fd7296.png

image.thumb.png.8b81036ab038068cb3ab734733557708.png

image.png

7 hours ago, 3319comics said:

Look like most of these are right in my wheelhouse , I'll try to make it out there....

if you have general ideas of what you are looking for -- let me know and I will be on the lookout for them when I pull the new "old" stock.  I usually hold back a lot of the higher grade stuff for ebay unless I have a reason to bring it. I will also not be the only one there with good books  - I just do not know if Matt is showing up again --- he had a much bigger "wall" selection at fair prices. Others may be hit or miss. One guy at the booth was funny - I had a Rom 1 listed for like $15 - he was in shock that someone else had one for  $80 ... of course neither one sold that day .....

16 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I'm looking for a malibu sun 13

lol - I will give you first crack at that one when it gets back from CGC....

hm  I do have a low grade BATB 28 that you might be interested in

Apologies if I miss anyone - this is who I see 

I see me ( Funky Catz Comics )

Dreamland ( local shop has some neat stuff)

Ken's. - another local B&M store 

Comic Wreck 

AOD 

Austin's comics

cagey comics

comics against cancer

fractal comics

hocrux comics

happy day comics

jar of comics

outer space comics

Tango comics

probably missing some - I was looking for names with "comics" -  some speciaLiza as well

Edited by W16227

10 hours ago, Razor said:

I will be set up as well.  I'm the "Matt" that is referenced above.  My booth is A5.  Please feel free to PM me a list of books you're looking for.  They do not have to be wall-caliber books either.  

Thanks,

Razor(Matt)

:hi:

glad you are back!