• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why isn't Ghost Rider more popular ?!
1 1

51 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Isn't a 9.4 hulk 181 going in the 15K range? I could be wrong, I don't follow the trends too much.

beats me-- not really in my wheelhouse -- was more shocked that MS5 was getting that high of a valuation. Might have confused the IH181 price for some higher grade copies in the 7.0 range.

I never liked him.  Never even really considered him a superhero.  Maybe it's the fact he has to cart around a motorcycle with him.   It's big, bulky, will not fit in the Avengers elevator.   I don't know, I think the wild west Ghost Rider was far more interesting. 

When I was a kid and Ghost Rider came out, I will admit that he kinda scared me a little bit. So, I kind of put him in the "Son of Satan" genre, and I didn't buy his comics. A lot of what I read now is what I read when I was a kid. Since I don't have that connection with Ghost Rider, it doesn't have the same feel for me. I don't know if others felt the same way.

1 hour ago, Mercury Man said:

I never liked him.  Never even really considered him a superhero.  Maybe it's the fact he has to cart around a motorcycle with him.   It's big, bulky, will not fit in the Avengers elevator.   I don't know, I think the wild west Ghost Rider was far more interesting. 

Y'know, I felt the same about the bike, even though obviously the concept called for it. I guess that's why I feel he needs drastic re-imagining. He was often played as a straight superhero...heck, even Champions membership...he needs someone who knows bikes and supernatural to do for him what Larry Hama did for GI Joe as a true military enthusiast. The bike should be both badass and ephemeral; flying and becoming intangible. And he needs art that is somewhere between Colan's TOD or early 70's DC gothic horror feel a la Wrightson or Redondo.

I keep seeing him in those broad daylight superhero panels by Don Heck in Champions, or Milgrom in that Avengers issue that wrapped up the Champions storyline (desert, sunshine) and it just misses so much potential. 

In the movies, I don't think he even talked when he was in his Ghost Rider form, he looked cool, but that was about it.  Very dark characters don't do all that well, Spawn is the exception since Mcfarlane has a huge following. Much like most R rated movies don't do as well as their PG and PG-13 counterparts.  

I'd like to see Marvel bring in Ghost Rider in the movies as a supporting character first before giving him his own film, much like they did with Black Panther.  

7 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I had high hopes for the Nic Cage Ghost Rider movie, but it did disappoint me a tad.

I was still digging the fact he was on film in the first place anyway.

I think I would give my left arm before I would give up my high grade MS 5.

IMG_20170904_141045.JPG

:applause:       :takeit:

6 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

beats me-- not really in my wheelhouse -- was more shocked that MS5 was getting that high of a valuation. Might have confused the IH181 price for some higher grade copies in the 7.0 range.

Hulk 181 in 9.4 is in the 5-6 k range

MS #5 in 9.2/9.4 is 1k to 3k range

7 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Isn't a 9.4 hulk 181 going in the 15K range? I could be wrong, I don't follow the trends too much.

Hulk 181 in 9.4 is around 6K. 

MS5 in 9.2 is 1.5K up to 2.4K in 9.4. 

You been nippin' at the bottle tonight, Oak?  :baiting:

1 minute ago, scooter99 said:

Hulk 181 in 9.4 is around 6K. 

MS5 in 9.2 is 1.5K up to 2.4K in 9.4. 

You been nippin' at the bottle tonight, Oak?  :baiting:

Like I said I dont keep up on trends. Wasnt IH 181 a bit more a while ago? Damn its gone down alot.

3 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Like I said I dont keep up on trends. Wasnt IH 181 a bit more a while ago? Damn its gone down alot.

nah, it has gone up.  9.4's doubled in the past 3 years or so.  9.8's are back up to about 20K, which is way less than the MS5 9.8 sale.  One easy to get in 9.8, the other, not so much. 

Edited by scooter99

1 minute ago, scooter99 said:

nah, it has gone up.  It's doubled in the past 3 years or so.  9.8's are back up to about 20K, which is way less than the MS5 9.8 sale.  One easy to get in 9.8, the other, not so much. 

Thanks for the info. (thumbsu

23 hours ago, comicartfan said:

I was flipping through the channels the other day and came across "Ghost Rider " with Nic Cage. Terrible movie. Terrible acting.

But, as I sat and watched it, I was enthralled when he would change into the Ghost Rider. I was thinking, "Spawn has some similarities with Ghost Rider".....mainly, he's cool. He's interesting to watch and while I never read the comic series, I have to wonder why this character hasn't blown up. 

Anyone else think it's just a matter of Marvel doing something worthy of the character ? - I never saw his appearance on "Agents of Shield", but hopefully it's a step in the right direction

I'm guessing that the whole satanic/horror/monster genres just don't do that great when slanted with the super-hero stuff.  The same can be said about Man-Thing, Swamp Thing, Werewolf by Night, Dracula, Blade, Frankenstein, etc.  Sure there can be some successes like the Twilight movies, but generally, I'm thinking limited box orifice success, and immediate relegation to DVD.

I thought the original Ghost Rider movie was OK (wasn't there two?), but I think all the satanic/occult elements introduced in the movie pretty much relegated it to the same garbage dump as the Dusk 'til Dawn movies - late night B movies that few would admit to watching.  And in Ghost Rider's case, no bewbs (at least that I can remember).  Geeks might think it's cool, but it will never attract a mainstream audience.  2c

The only way I see it getting wide popularity, is if Marvel decided to branch their IP into the genres and do real Horror movies,but that doesn't jive with the Disney/Marvel brand so I don't see it happening

They could totally do this though...Horror, Sci-fi, heck a well done western with the Marvel IP would be great!

When I was reading them in the 70s as young teen, I actually like Son of Satan stories more than Ghost Rider.  GRs were okay and I read them still have all of my OO copies.  I appreciate the early stories more so now than then though.  And yes, I liked the Daredevil movie so much more than the GRs so that tells you something.