• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SF Comic Con Report
3 3

48 posts in this topic

Went to Sf Comic Con on Sunday of the HOTTEST WEEKEND in Bay Area HISTORY! But actually I went on Sunday when it was cooler.

Disclaimer:  Some pictures, but not too many, and no pictures of cosplay hotties.

Started with breakfast of champions - egg scramble with spinach, Parmesan, and hummus.

IMG_8839.jpg

Drove to  Daly City to take the BART, because who the eff drives into SF on a long weekend?  Too many tourists, police, and parking is hella expensive.  BART parking is free, and it was $6.50 both ways.  Parking in the City would have been minimum $30 for the day.  Probably adds about a half hour to my commute for the day, but saves stress and money.

IMG_8840.jpg

As always, weird art in the City...

IMG_8842.jpg

Didn't have a ticket, so I bought the Sunday ticket at the door, which was cheaper than online which had tax and fees.  So that was good.

IMG_8843.jpg

The con was really well structured, spacious aisles, good layout, a ton of great art  and comic based stuff.  Lot of kids, a surprisingly high amount of people in wheelchairs or on crutches, and everyone was super nice and helpful.  I really enjoyed it.  A really professional con, very well done.  Not too many comic dealers as a percentage of total vendors, but I thought prices were ok on the average, and I think the comic sellers generally did well.

The next post will have some random pics, then I'll post a few short stories.

IMG_8845.jpg

They had a cool arcade with classic games set up.  GREAT idea.

IMG_8846.jpg

Celebrities:  The celebs didn't seem too awesome, except Summer Glau and Sean Astin.  But the lines were long throughout the day surprisingly.

IMG_8847.jpg

IMG_8848.jpgIMG_8850.jpg

IMG_8851.jpg

IMG_8855.jpg

IMG_8856.jpg

https://s5.postimg.org/4i8za7el3/IMG_8857.jpg

3 minutes ago, revat said:

Drove to  Daly City to take the BART, because who the eff drives into SF on a long weekend?  Too many tourists, police, and parking is hella expensive.  BART parking is free, and it was $6.50 both ways.  Parking in the City would have been minimum $30 for the day.  Probably adds about a half hour to my commute for the day, but saves stress and money.

Good to know something about the BART system. I had seen by information few times but not seen how it looks in picture. And thanks for the prices on both ways, at least I now know.  You are right what you said about too many tourists. I was one of them when I visited SF with a friend there ... I think about 20 years ago? Parking prices were not too bad, but traffic was bit too much. Had visited the Rock and had great time looking around. 

My favorite Cosplay I saw, Warriors Boba Fett

Honorable Mention:  No pictures, but there was a Black Panther and Snot Girl couple walking around that was really really good.

IMG_8849.jpg

Lot of great artists, lots of them doing commissions, obviously.  But if you get the chance, you MUST check out Clayton Crain.   His work is amazing.  He does all the Carnage comics, and that really epic  Xforce run from a few years back.

IMG_8852.jpg

Edited by revat

Bought a few 2nd prints

IMG_8862.jpg

IMG_8866.jpg

SF Hipster lunch at Tea Place next door

Smoked Salmon with poached eggs, sauerkraut and brown rice.  Matcha tea shake not pictured.

IMG_8853.jpg

Harley Yee pics.  Not a huge amount.  He and Bunky had the best high quality stuff.  House of Comics had a TON of great golden age.  

IMG_8854.jpg

I have to say I was somewhat disappointed in the lack of comic selling booths. I agree Bunky Brian and Harley Yee had the best by far but I felt like I just kept visiting the same 6 booths with books for sale.  Are true comic conventions that mainly sell books dying on the vine while the industry explodes?

17 minutes ago, AJCohen said:

I have to say I was somewhat disappointed in the lack of comic selling booths. I agree Bunky Brian and Harley Yee had the best by far but I felt like I just kept visiting the same 6 booths with books for sale.  Are true comic conventions that mainly sell books dying on the vine while the industry explodes?

Yah same booths over and over for comics

but the comic related trinkets and stuff was really really good. So many creative people

i should have taken more pictures of that stuff. SF is a very artistic area

2 hours ago, wombat said:
3 hours ago, revat said:

IMG_8853.jpg

Were you being punished for something?

Its California.  I have no issue with the food, my regret is not getting avocado.

And now, a word about Bill Sienkewicz (sp?).  He's very gregarious and sociable, and I literally saw him become facebook friends with not one but two strangers in front of me in line.  And there were only two people in line in front of me.  The first guy was making Bill S. watch his son do skateboarding videos on youtube, and then they had an extended discussion about volleyball.  

Then things got interesting:

There was a girl waiting quietly, mid-20's brown hair, wearing a beanie.  Petite and cute in a mousy way.  Bill S motions to me, I motion to the girl saying she's next in line.  She walks up and says "I'm back, and I brought the girls" and sticks out her chest and points directly to her chest, she was wearing a black tshirt.  Bill S leans forward and peers directly at the 'girls'.  I'm a little confused and uncomfortable for a second, and then the girl starts pointing at her chest and talking.  And she's naming various women's names while pointing.  I'm trying to be polite and not look, and she says "Amara, Rahne, other names I don't recognize, Dani Moonstar, etc."  It triggers to be then I look, and its ALL THE FEMALE NEW MUTANTS pictured and printed on her tshirt.  

Anyways, I had him sign a few comics, including my Swedish Moon Knight comic.  He was not impressed.  We are not facebook friends.

IMG_8860.jpg

So Josh Middleton had a ton of people at his booth all day, so I thought he was really popular (which he should be), but it turns out is just friendly and talks to everyone.  The guy in front of me in line (older Japanese dude, I suspect possibly a boardie), OWNED quite a few of Josh Middleton's covers.  I brought just 3 comics to get signed by Josh, and he owned TWO of them.

So as I brought out this comic, Josh cringed and tried to push it away.  He apparently did not like it, as it was his first cover done for Marvel.  It brought up how he started at Marvel and why he left Marvel, and his mutual respect for Ryan Sook (who was supposed to be there but doesn't do conventions on Sunday for religious reasons).  This stories are part of the reason I go to cons to interact with creators.

IMG_8861.jpg

Probably my personal favorite of the artists there Mark Brooks.  I bought a couple sketch books, he had a bunch sweet prints too.  And his portfolio was also a drawing of his wife, who was there helping them.  They were all very nice.  Mark Brooks has been consistently putting out my favorite marvel covers for the past 5 years, and does it with good volume too.

IMG_8863.jpg

The pic below is from the sketch book, if you want to see more, you gotta buy it.

IMG_8865.jpg

Every time I see Alex Nino, he's talking real technical art with someone.  If you really want to learn about it, you should see whats up and read his books too.  There's not that many people who can come with comic art like this.

IMG_8867.jpg

Which leads me to the print I bought....BOOM

IMG_8869.jpg