• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SF Comic Con Report
3 3

48 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ExNihilo said:
23 hours ago, revat said:

my regret is not getting avocado.

Spoken like a true Californian.  :p

3 hours ago, revat said:

But SF is actually a pretty small, dense place, like 5-6 miles across

7x7, hence why the local magazine is called that.

I have fond memories of the dense crowds, aggressive whackos, bad food and the continual sewer blow-back on the streets.  San Francisco.... not for the faint of heart.  :p

Con was fun, didn't get a lot of books but that's ok as that wasn't my goal going in.  I prepped CGC submissions in advance and it was easy breezy dropping them off, literally took less than a minute as they ticked through my books and sheet and said yep yep yep thanks.  They must be all business as I had a stack of rare Blue Beetles including two #1's (1939) and they didn't say a word.  Maybe you just see enough books after a while.  I ended up having a nice chat with the lads at the clink booth.  I didn't know they would be there and since I'm local I decided to take advantage and drop off a stack of high grade first series X-Men books for consignment.  So it was good to drop off about 15 slabs that would have been a pain in the to ship.  I must have done two or three laps of the show floor looking for an opportunity to buy some GA but didn't snag anything.  Harley Quinn still seems like the cosplay character of choice so I saw her every ten minutes.  Food upstairs needed a bit help.  The crepe dude was great but at one point about thirty people were in line for him.  He had a longer line going than Sean Astin downstairs.  Later went to the Shortboxed event and that was good times.  It was held at Jillian's so I could watch the Alabama - Florida State game, drink a beer, and look at books.  How often do you get a chance to watch SEC football and check out books at the same time?  Not often.  I knew I should have taken Bama at -7.5.  Oh well!

Edited by atomised

The Friday crowd was light. Saturday of course much larger. Crazy weather over 100 in San Fran/record breaking. Main purpose was a drop off to Link. As for food just leave the center and there are tons of places to eat within a 5 minute walk. Of course you have to deal with the heat. 

11 hours ago, atomised said:

Later went to the Shortboxed event and that was good times.  It was held at Jillian's so I could watch the Alabama - Florida State game, drink a beer, and look at books.  How often do you get a chance to watch SEC football and check out books at the same time?  Not often.  I knew I should have taken Bama at -7.5.  Oh well!

It was great hanging with you! Comics and beer...a match made in heaven.

Thanks for the report! It's very valuable to read everyone's input on the convention. From our perspective it was a success and a lot of fun to organize and promote. It was a great weekend!

And someone mentioned Mike Zeck cancelling? Mike Zeck was never on this year's guest list. He attended SFCC last year.

5 minutes ago, KingOfRulers1 said:

Thanks for the report! It's very valuable to read everyone's input on the convention. From our perspective it was a success and a lot of fun to organize and promote. It was a great weekend!

And someone mentioned Mike Zeck cancelling? Mike Zeck was never on this year's guest list. He attended SFCC last year.

sorry, I don't know how I got it mixed up, I think you're right about zeck

Sorry for the late reply. I know 2 people that had booths at the con. 1 owns his own comic shop and the other is a dealer that goes to Tons of cons. Both were very happy with the turnout and sales. Store owner said he made a weeks worth of sales in the weekend and the dealer made 10x the booth cost and bought a couple collections at a great discount. 

Next year likely to be even bigger