• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sent my AF15 to CGC should I slab or clean and press first?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I just dropped off my 3.0 AF15 at SF Comicon this weekend with a ton of other books and had some questions.  A lot of my books I sent in for a thorough cleaning and pressing with CCS before stabbing, some I just had slabbed and some reslabbed.  Brittany at CGC was helping me and she was awesome.  My question is should I just have this AF15 reslabbed or pressed and cleaned first.  I will include all the CGC notes, pictures and video for your help. It has no Marvel chipping and I am nervous of chipping showing up after a press and clean.  I would be totally fine if a clean and press sent this back to me as just a prettier 3.0 or better :) but dropping to a 2.5 would be hard to swallow and to come back labeled with Marvel chipping would hurt even more.

Any and all advice is happily accepted!

Thanks again and BTW this book was purchased through Bunky Brian here on the forum about a year and a half ago.

on to the pictures and videos.

video links to the front and back close up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwbuCGyzw7U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_rPs-LtqFo

THANKS!

AJ

IMG_6670.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

To me it looks nicer than a 3.0 but the video is a bit fuzzy so its hard to see some of the defects.  The stains won't be removed with a dry clean and those are most likely the defects keeping the book at a 3.0.  CGC is so tight right now I personally would avoid a CPR, so if this were my book I would just get it re-holdered and enjoy it in some new clothes.  That is a great looking 3.0!     

Why are you resubmitting it ? It's probably been pressed already.  A press and or cleaning is not going to help all those tears and stains. IMO, the book looks to be in a very fragile state, especially at the top two corners.  I already see a dangling piece at the bottom left of the front cover. It looks pretty safe in it's current slab. I would have left it alone. BTW, the videos were pretty useless, too much glare.  Nice book as is. 

Thanks everyone for the input.  I did drop it off for just a reslab but I did have a path to make a change if I wanted through the rep who worked with me.  All of your input is very valuable and helps me feel like just a reslab was the right call.

Thanks again

It is a 3.0 that presents well for the assigned grade. But the graders notes list NO defects that would be improved by pressing.  The tears and stains are the "why" of the  grade assigned. If you feel like rolling the dice you can always have it regraded instead of reslabbed into the new Gen 2 holder.  It is hard to imagine the book dropping in grade. You can also call and ask that the book be directed to CCS first and pay for having it screened for pressing. 

All of those things cost a good deal more $$ than just reslabbing.  But maybe you could get a grade bump. Won't know unless you try