• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DragonCon report
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Short & sweet.
TONS of great Cosplay.
I won't clog up this post with pics.
You can see them on my twitter @sketchcards ... 
This will just be about the comics side of the equation. 

Now, let's see if PhotoBucket still works for me ... 

The Stan Lee booth was nuts.
They had every conceivable product to get signed.
They even had a short box with 150 pre-signed comic books in case you didn't want to wait in line. I asked the staff what is the LEAST amount of time I'll wait in line if i time it just right, he said "30 minutes". 

IMAG8250.jpg

Bagley is now charging to sign Lethal Protector, ASM 361, or CGC books -- 

IMAG8255.jpg

Peter David was the all-star.
He's a great guy, with great conversation.
This time he had a stack of original art.
I said: "You don't usually have original art, do you?"
He said: "This is the first convention ever, make an offer."
Every page of "Sachs and Violens" was signed by artist George Perez. 

IMAG8257.jpg

I also picked up this from Georges Jeanty.
Fun composition. 
Now i need to figure out who the characters are ... 

IMAG8325.jpg

And lastly, you're wondering what i bought from Peter David ... ???

IMAG8328.jpg

-- Fun Show -- 
I hope Photobucket works ... 

Thanks for the report!

Man, what a racket... $30. for the books pictured then the cost of the signature, grading fees and handling ect. How much was just a pre-signed book? I love Stan and guess I don't blame him. But, he can't need the money that bad. Just seems like a lap dance...

I looked at at same page at Peter David's booth. He was away at the time, so I didn't ask his daughter about it. It is a very nice piece. Dragon Con is always a lot of fun. Here are some of my goodies:

Gizmo Duck by James Silvani.

20170910_200934.thumb.jpg.b5f937fc0ed3d1ebf1b34b2d59452887.jpg

Thanos by Mark Bagley. He got excited when I asked for this one. He also drew a cool Spider-Man symbol on my hand and my 3-year-old daughter's hand. 

20170910_200951.thumb.jpg.3f330ca120597a9ad61228663d533c05.jpg

Original art page by Georges Jeanty. This is from the Serenity coloring book

20170910_201041.thumb.jpg.802ff1482939c74b7e4cab8447a372d5.jpg

I won this one at the auction. Signed figure and original sketch card by Tad Stones (the creator of Darkwing Duck).

20170910_201103.thumb.jpg.0344afe4385371fee737485558df317c.jpg

Also from the Dragon Con auction, a Frazetta print #60/200. Reissued by his estate.

20170910_201410.thumb.jpg.53d94ba8ecf9d1cf47ea47ba034d5975.jpg

I got other cool stuff, including two large Star Wars posters signed by Start Wars authors from the auction. I can post a pic once they get up on the wall.

Great report! I haven't been in a few years, but DragonCon was always my favorite show for meeting artists and creators, because comics were just one small fraction of what that show was all about, so they were able to attract marquee names, but there was usually never any lines. Sure, J. Scott Campbell usually had a line, but otherwise, pretty much anyone I ever wanted to meet, I was able to just walk right up to them. Hughes, Mignola, Sale, Art Adams, Neal Adams, Linsner, Cooke, Noto, and so many others over the years. Such a good time.

Hmm...Peter David is set to attend a show here in Louisville at the end of the month. Wonder if he'll still have any art for sale. Any ideas of the price range, or the titles/character range? I don't need any Sachs and Violens, but if he had some more Hulk or Spidey pages, I might be interested!