• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the largest grade jump post CPR you've ever seen?

10 posts in this topic

A while ago there was a pair of threads in the PGM section with a couple of very early FF issues (I'll dig them up and post links).  The comics in the OPs were around 3.0 (nearly every guesstimate maxed out at 3.0) but after CCS it got a 4. Pics are gone now, but I remember the 4.0 distinctly because I thought it was a gift grade, and speculated the gift grade [1.0 over the 'true' grade] was because he used CCS first.

FF2 looked like around 3.5, again with moisture stains (although the replies had less of a consensus, 3.5 seemed the average).  Later in the thread, the guy posted pics showing it got 4.5 after CCS.

Since then I've seen other examples, though these two stood out in my memory (being Fantastic Four 1 & 2 with stains posted on same day) and rightly or wrongly, I've come to expect that using CCS before slabbing a comic at CGC gives submitters a real good chance at receiving back 'overgraded' stabs by around 1.0.  [insert obligatory - grading is subjective yada yada small sample size unfair yada]

2 hours ago, grebal said:

A while ago there was a pair of threads in the PGM section with a couple of very early FF issues (I'll dig them up and post links).  The comics in the OPs were around 3.0 (nearly every guesstimate maxed out at 3.0) but after CCS it got a 4. Pics are gone now, but I remember the 4.0 distinctly because I thought it was a gift grade, and speculated the gift grade [1.0 over the 'true' grade] was because he used CCS first.

FF2 looked like around 3.5, again with moisture stains (although the replies had less of a consensus, 3.5 seemed the average).  Later in the thread, the guy posted pics showing it got 4.5 after CCS.

Since then I've seen other examples, though these two stood out in my memory (being Fantastic Four 1 & 2 with stains posted on same day) and rightly or wrongly, I've come to expect that using CCS before slabbing a comic at CGC gives submitters a real good chance at receiving back 'overgraded' stabs by around 1.0.  [insert obligatory - grading is subjective yada yada small sample size unfair yada]

Considering the CGC graders have no clue where a pressed book came from - or whether the book was pressed at all - your expectation has zero basis in reality.

I've gotten non-pressed books back from CGC that I personally thought were over-graded - I guess this means that people should start sending their books to me prior to slabbing to ensure they get higher grades :whee:

On 05/09/2017 at 6:28 PM, joeypost said:

4.5 to 7.0   Daredevil 1

6.5 to 9.0   X-Men 94

7.5 to 9.2   ASM 17

9.0 to 9.8   Tomb of Dracula 1

Oh wow...those are crazy jumps... :whatthe:

But as an owner of those books 

^^