• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hurricane Irma - Florida declares state of emergency
5 5

171 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, NamesJay said:

I live in Tampa area as well, have for 40+ years. This is the first time I've been this scared of a storm.

I'm really praying that this thing loses steam and loses steam quickly. My company might fly me out out a sister company in Connecticut but I'll be worried about my home and my friends and family here regardless.

I moved away three years ago (miss living there quite a bit). Never had much trouble with the storms as my house was in the Carrolwood area-- a little farther north, with enough elevation and far enough inland to be outside the flood zone

7 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

My dad lives in The Villages-- which is technically about 60 miles northwest from Orlando, a little south of Ocala on I-75-- (maybe I read your sentence wrong)

anyway - hope they are successful at avoiding any trouble. With the exception of a few tropical storms, Tampa has not been hit by a cane since the 1920's. There was one around 10 years ago that came up through Port Charlotte and went directly towards mousetown (Orlando)-- and while not nearly as strong as this one, very devastating.

My parents and sister all live in the Villages.  I'm really nervous for them.  My mom told me last night that all the main roads leading away from harm's way were a parking lot.  So many people trying to leave at once.  I hope everyone stays safe.  

15 hours ago, zosocane said:

... what could be a far more devastating hurricane than Harvey ...

Be safe. The rainfall totals will be nothing compared to Harvey, but wind/surge damage from a Cat 5 hit on Miami will be bad. Fortunately for you guys, I think that "more devastating than Harvey" is going to be a very tough hurdle to clear.

15 hours ago, zosocane said:

Down here in South Florida, where we are in the middle of beginning likely evacuation plans for what could be a far more devastating hurricane than Harvey, and having been through several hurricanes, we take it as a point of great pride that one of our local universities adopted "hurricane" as its nom de guerre.   We've suffered through several storms in the past, and, God willing, will suffer through several more in the future.  It's mother nature at work, and it's a risk we knowingly take to live at a place we call home.  And I can assure you that not one person here thinks it "weird" or "oddly insensitive" to use "hurricane" not just for the local university's sports teams, but for the school's academic events, buildings, even busses.  In fact, it was a 1926 hurricane that claimed 326 lives when it struck Miami during that university's first year of existence that inspired the school to adopt "hurricane" as its nom de guerre

It's Great.  To Be.  A Miami Hurricane.

Thank you for indulging me.  Now, back to hurricane preparations ...

I went through David, in 1979, but Dave stayed off shore, Andrew in, as we well know, August 1992, and many others whose names I do not recall with any certainty. Of note, I have been through two, perhaps, three hurricanes were I reside now-up I-95 from Miami and Fort Lauderdale.

I have countless family members in Irma's path.

Take good care.

3 hours ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I went through David, in 1979, but Dave stayed off shore, Andrew in, as we well know, August 1992, and many others whose names I do not recall with any certainty. Of note, I have been through two, perhaps, three hurricanes were I reside now-up I-95 from Miami and Fort Lauderdale.

I have countless family members in Irma's path.

Take good care.

This one is stronger than Andrew and is scheduled to go straight up the peninsula like you said. Less than 10 inches of rain predicted and they drained Lake Okeechobee a few feet so not concerned with flooding inland, just at the beaches from storm surge. The wind is a concern. My house was built before Andrew and is still standing. It's also up to the new codes. My rotten picket fence will likely be a missile hazard. Right now it looks like Miami will take the punch first so it's a Cat 3 when it hits me. Home Depot was worse than Black Friday at 0615 this morning. I'm most worried about when I get power back so I can take care of my infant. They'll likely shut off power before the worst hits us as a preventative measure.

Good luck.

34 minutes ago, FN-2199 said:

This one is stronger than Andrew and is scheduled to go straight up the peninsula like you said. Less than 10 inches of rain predicted and they drained Lake Okeechobee a few feet so not concerned with flooding inland, just at the beaches from storm surge. The wind is a concern. My house was built before Andrew and is still standing. It's also up to the new codes. My rotten picket fence will likely be a missile hazard. Right now it looks like Miami will take the punch first so it's a Cat 3 when it hits me. Home Depot was worse than Black Friday at 0615 this morning. I'm most worried about when I get power back so I can take care of my infant. They'll likely shut off power before the worst hits us as a preventative measure.

Good luck.

The loss of power could take a week or longer to restore, depending on devastation and where one resides.  FPL typically restores power to those areas with denser concentrations of residences (i.e., downtown Miami, the Beach, etc.).   And it will be hot AF next week without power to keep us cool.

Best of luck to everyone in Florida!

Just returned from a week-long road trip from Florida, getting back two days ago. I've travelled to Florida at the end of August the last four years. Dodged bullets with Hurricane Erika in 2015 and Hurricane Hermaine in 2016. I felt the hysteria over those two storms and they were nothing compared to what's ahead in the coming days. I can only imagine what it's like to be there now.

Watching CNN, I see there are two-hour waits for gas and people are having difficulty getting out. Holy moly!

21 minutes ago, zosocane said:

The loss of power could take a week or longer to restore, depending on devastation and where one resides.  FPL typically restores power to those areas with denser concentrations of residences (i.e., downtown Miami, the Beach, etc.).   And it will be hot AF next week without power to keep us cool.

I hear you. I have a generator but bought a window unit AC this morning and will likely have to recover in just one room of the house.

My co-workers from our office in the Keys have parked the fleet vehicles at our building and have evacuated.

14 hours ago, Gaard said:

Would it be prudent to wait a few days to send books down there?

I would think so .... I haven't heard enough reports. I tried calling them today but they just said it "may" affect them and that they didn't know yet.... that's kind of why I asked if anyone had heard anything as it's been a long time for me to know from experience.... I guess EVERYONE  is surviving so far, haven't had any "breaking news" yet :wishluck:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

52 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I would think so .... I haven't heard enough reports. I tried calling them today but they just said it "may" affect them and that they didn't know yet.... that's kind of why I asked if anyone had heard anything as it's been a long time for me to know from experience.... I guess EVERYONE  is surviving so far, haven't had any "breaking news" yet :wishluck:

Miami will get the worst of it now doubt.

Gosh, what a nightmare for those in the path.  At best, it is a MAJOR inconvenience and of course it can be much more dire than that.  Hopefully it will let up a good deal or change course prior to landfall.