• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hurricane Irma - Florida declares state of emergency
5 5

171 posts in this topic

I'm getting ready to start moving all my boxes that are on the floor to higher ground.  My biggest fear is flooding though I'm not particularly in a flood zone. The water has to go somewhere if retention ponds start to overflow.....:eek:

USPS Service Alerts

Last updated Sept. 8, 2017, 7:30 a.m. ET

Hurricane Irma

Hurricane Irma continues its destructive path toward the mainland United States. Now a Category 4, it remains an extremely dangerous storm threatening to bring its fierce winds and storm surges to heavily populated areas of South Florida. Federal emergency officials are warning that Irma could devastate coastal regions of Florida and other southeastern states.

The safety of our employees and customers is our primary concern. USPS operations have been impacted. Check “Service disruption alerts” or “Is my Post Office open” under “Residential customers” below for the latest information.

On 9/7/2017 at 11:52 AM, Robot Man said:

Man, all I gotta deal with is the occasional out of the blue earthquake. By the time you realize what it is, it's usually done. Most buildings here are built for them. Been through a few pretty good ones. We get brush fires too but I don't live near the hills so I am always spared that.  I don't know which is worse, having warning or not.

Good luck to you folks in FL. You have the warning and it doesn't sound good. Pack up your loved ones, pets and long boxes and take a vacation for a few days. Be safe!

This is why we pay the money we do in California,we are not in the middle of hurricane alley.  :whistle:

2 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Not much of that, just a little jolt and done.

Stay safe brother.(thumbsu

I went through the Big Bear/Landers double quake then Northridge in the nineties. I'd rather see it coming than suddenly being six feet away from where I was standing a split second before. Northridge quake lasted forever. Southern California is long overdue for another big one.

So I have friends in Sarasota and they left already after "prepping" their place so I wonder how CGC is set up to "weather" this storm? Obviously everyone's safety is your first concern but having spoke with them before "fleeing" they really weren't ever expecting something like this in their location. I guess there are really no safe places in hurricane alley....

In the last 24hrs I've made two sales to people in these hazard zones... one was for $27 and the other for around $240.  I asked... they said send them.  $27 was covered through USPS and the other I added the signature tracking on so not if but when there is an issue, paypal will have my back.

Whatever... 

6 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

In the last 24hrs I've made two sales to people in these hazard zones... one was for $27 and the other for around $240.  I asked... they said send them.  $27 was covered through USPS and the other I added the signature tracking on so not if but when there is an issue, paypal will have my back.

Whatever... 

All shipping will be stuck in other states till end of emergency conditions since planes are grounded

9 hours ago, N e r V said:

So I have friends in Sarasota and they left already after "prepping" their place so I wonder how CGC is set up to "weather" this storm? Obviously everyone's safety is your first concern but having spoke with them before "fleeing" they really weren't ever expecting something like this in their location. I guess there are really no safe places in hurricane alley....

Ive beem tracking it since the beginning. All but 1 model had it going east or central.  Looks like cgc and some folks on the west coast of florida were doing a wait and see. I was wondering when cgc would make an announcement. Looks like they finally did.  

"CCG is housed in a secure, state-of-the-art facility that is built to withstand hurricane conditions. Collectibles will be secured in CCG's vaults, as always, and procedures are in place to ensure the safety and security of all collectibles in our care."

I just pray that cgc folks and people on the western coast are able to get out of the path now that they know it's heading that way. 

I'm trying to imagine what a "state-of-the-art facility that is built to withstand hurricane conditions" looks like and what counter measures it employs. 

I'm picturing a 3-level all brick building with a sealed elevated vault suspended within a vault with triple redundant power generation with 96-hours of battery power backup for climate and humidity control and security. And a triple redundant 1000Gpm water pumping system.

5 minutes ago, justafan said:

Ive beem tracking it since the beginning. All but 1 model had it going east or central.  Looks like cgc and some folks on the west coast of florida were doing a wait and see. I was wondering when cgc would make an announcement. Looks like they finally did.  

"CCG is housed in a secure, state-of-the-art facility that is built to withstand hurricane conditions. Collectibles will be secured in CCG's vaults, as always, and procedures are in place to ensure the safety and security of all collectibles in our care."

I just pray that cgc folks and people on the western coast are able to get out of the path now that they know it's heading that way. 

I'm trying to imagine what a "state-of-the-art facility that is built to withstand hurricane conditions" looks like and what counter measures it employs. 

I'm picturing a 3-level all brick building with a sealed elevated vault suspended within a vault with triple redundant power generation with 96-hours of battery power backup for climate and humidity control and security. And a triple redundant 1000Gpm water pumping system.

And a actual super hero guarding the outer perimeter. Would superman be able to stop a hurricane?