• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hurricane Irma - Florida declares state of emergency
5 5

171 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, SteppinRazor said:
10 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Praying isn't going to do anything, taking action will.  

What do you want him to do, grab a hand fan, go down to FL and try to reverse it's rotation?

hm

New forecast models have this veering right into FLA. If it skirts either coast it could buffet the State with 75+ mph winds. Not the best scenario, but could be worse depending if it slams right into the Miami area. 

47 minutes ago, joeypost said:

New forecast models have this veering right into FLA. If it skirts either coast it could buffet the State with 75+ mph winds. Not the best scenario, but could be worse depending if it slams right into the Miami area. 

Stay safe!

1 hour ago, zosocane said:

I am now double-bagging my short boxes.

good call.

I don't know much about prepping for this type of situation, do people fill up their bath tubs?  Or just assume if things are that bad you go to a shelter?

2 minutes ago, revat said:

good call.

I don't know much about prepping for this type of situation, do people fill up their bath tubs?  Or just assume if things are that bad you go to a shelter?

You buy lots of bottled water, fill up a few gas cans full of fuel and stock up on canned food. 

I usually board up the windows but recently replaced them all with hurricane glass that is impact resistant and shatter proof. 

Typically with these types of storms it is roof damage and flooding that you worry about the most. 

Man, all I gotta deal with is the occasional out of the blue earthquake. By the time you realize what it is, it's usually done. Most buildings here are built for them. Been through a few pretty good ones. We get brush fires too but I don't live near the hills so I am always spared that.  I don't know which is worse, having warning or not.

Good luck to you folks in FL. You have the warning and it doesn't sound good. Pack up your loved ones, pets and long boxes and take a vacation for a few days. Be safe!

I have friends in Florida that say it's to hit Sunday. They just moved there last year, so this might be their first go around. They are boarding up etc. but they are going to just stay and ride it out. :wishluck:

Got the mandatory evacuation order for Clearwater Beach this afternoon, goes into effect for me at 6 AM tomorrow but we won't be leaving until sometime Saturday. Once we go over the bridge we won't be allowed back on the Island until they give the all clear. I've decided to ride it out with my family on the other side of the bridge at my 2000 sq ft. warehouse. Luckily it's in one of the few areas of Clearwater proper that's not a flood zone plus it's right across the street from Police Headquarters... and maybe that big Scientology complex caddy corner to me will help diffuse the winds as well. :smile:

Just spent the whole day consolidating inventory and I will be putting all boxes into those large heavy duty contractor bags. For everyone with books in the path of Irma I can't recommend enough that you get your stuff sealed up.

I'm worried about my house. I've got hurricane windows and doors and the such but it won't help me from some crazy storm surge if it occurs. 

1 hour ago, Jordysnordy said:

Snow and cold up here in Canada doesn't seem so bad now.

Hope everyone stays stuff. Scary stuff on the news.

Where I am in Canada in the summers it is tornado season. The province I am in gets about 10-20 a summer.

Floridan here currently at work on overnights nobody has any idea what will happen Saturday morning will be the make or break time. We are out of literally everything and people keep calling for water I'm located on irb but live in tampa.